ReputationRep:
    Good hustle guys yeah!!!!

Sorry had an american moment there.

-shudders-

ReputationRep:
    Woo! *does high fives* Gimme some skin!

ReputationRep:
    *whoosh*

(The sound of this conversation going totally over my head.)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah!!!! woo!!!!!!!!! *returns high fives*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    This is going to sound really silly.

On Monday I met this guy at the gym. We were in the jacuzzi and got chatting. Anyway, we were talking for quite a while and getting on well, and arranged to meet for a drink in the bar afterwards. He was nice, about 18 months older than me, working in London and living not very far from where I live. Not really my type though. Anyway, when I went home, we exchanged numbers.

On Tuesday lunchtime he text me, just to ask "What's up?", basically. I think that's what put me off. It wasn't even 24 hours later. I wasn't that keen on him, and I don't really like being pestered. I probably wouldn't have minded if he'd left it a bit longer, but it was SO soon. So I put off texting him back because I didn't want to get drawn into a long text conversation. I was going to do it yesterday, but then I didn't, and I was going to do it today, but then I didn't. Then this evening he called me. I knew it was him before I even looked at my phone. Anyway, I didn't pick up because I wasn't sure what to say. Maybe I'm just weird, but I'd rather someone waited a while before texting, and didn't call at all until we'd seen each other a few times.

Now my problem is, he was nice. And I don't want to just ignore him, because I'll feel mean. On the other hand, I get the feeling that if I text him back, he won't stop texting me. I don't even text my friends anyway. I hardly ever use my phone, it bores me. I don't really want to talk to him on the phone either because I just know it will be awkward. And I don't especially want to go for a drink with him. Don't get me wrong, he's nice enough. I just don't think we hit it off enough.

So what do I do? Should I just ignore him? Or should I text him back and then try and cool it off gradually, before it even starts? Or what? I don't know. I'm confused. :confused:

Help!

Edit: also, if I just ignore him, you can bet your life I'll bump into him again at the gym. I have this knack....

Yeah, If you ignore him you will feel guilty. I did that to a guy a few years ago. I felt really guilty but then again, It would have been worse had I kept talking/texting him becuase he would have got the wrong idea. You could send him a few texts and if he asks you something like what you are doing on the w/e you can drop subtle hints like, oh im working, eventually he will get the gist... Its horrible i know, but whats the use of saying all this "Do the right thing" You saw him, what? once, you dont oew him a damn thing!

ReputationRep:
    well this shows me the 48 hour rule really does apply, when I thought it didn't matter...

Why would a girl care anyway? Strange things those females :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    This is going to sound really silly.

On Monday I met this guy at the gym. We were in the jacuzzi and got chatting. Anyway, we were talking for quite a while and getting on well, and arranged to meet for a drink in the bar afterwards. He was nice, about 18 months older than me, working in London and living not very far from where I live. Not really my type though. Anyway, when I went home, we exchanged numbers.

On Tuesday lunchtime he text me, just to ask "What's up?", basically. I think that's what put me off. It wasn't even 24 hours later. I wasn't that keen on him, and I don't really like being pestered. I probably wouldn't have minded if he'd left it a bit longer, but it was SO soon. So I put off texting him back because I didn't want to get drawn into a long text conversation. I was going to do it yesterday, but then I didn't, and I was going to do it today, but then I didn't. Then this evening he called me. I knew it was him before I even looked at my phone. Anyway, I didn't pick up because I wasn't sure what to say. Maybe I'm just weird, but I'd rather someone waited a while before texting, and didn't call at all until we'd seen each other a few times.

Now my problem is, he was nice. And I don't want to just ignore him, because I'll feel mean. On the other hand, I get the feeling that if I text him back, he won't stop texting me. I don't even text my friends anyway. I hardly ever use my phone, it bores me. I don't really want to talk to him on the phone either because I just know it will be awkward. And I don't especially want to go for a drink with him. Don't get me wrong, he's nice enough. I just don't think we hit it off enough.

So what do I do? Should I just ignore him? Or should I text him back and then try and cool it off gradually, before it even starts? Or what? I don't know. I'm confused. :confused:

Help!

Edit: also, if I just ignore him, you can bet your life I'll bump into him again at the gym. I have this knack....
    Hi Susie, just befriend him, but explain you would rather take it slow.

ReputationRep:
    Just say you dont feel like commiting, because you've just been cheated on by your boyfriend. Tell him you'll give him a call when you've got over it. Then don't.

Alternatively take him to the back seat of your car, and say you're just getting something. Lock him in the back seat.

Then torch the car.

ReputationRep:
    i think the guys here gave you the best advice - just txt him back saying you didn't read the txt until now but that you've got to get going, that you're busy, cu at the gym or something like that. Then if he does continue to to txt you, phone you or you see him again at the gym and you get the feeling he want more than friendship, just tell him you're not interested - that you had fun, but you didn't feel you had a connection. he'll probably pretend he wasn't interested, so then just laugh about it. dunno, but that's the only thing I think. Just be honest, it would be rude I think to just ignore him, but you're right, you really don't want to get into loads of texting ect and going out with him and hoping that he'll just get the hints you drop - most men are stupid and don't get the hint, lol, so you have to tell them otherwise they don't understand and if you tell him sooner rather than after a few more drinks he won't be very upset (he will though if you tell him after a few dates lol).

ReputationRep:
    but yeah, dont feel that you are obliged to see him, becuase you arent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euge)
    Just say you dont feel like commiting, because you've just been cheated on by your boyfriend. Tell him you'll give him a call when you've got over it. Then don't.

Alternatively take him to the back seat of your car, and say you're just getting something. Lock him in the back seat.

Then torch the car.
    LOL. I have a sick sense of humour and that agrees with it completely. Congratutlations.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.