The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I left my E off :biggrin:
Yes as it is still a pass.

With 9A*s and the fact it was only short course I'm sure the number of universities that would care about it is negliable.
Reply 3
Yes.

The GCSEs you can leave off are fails (U) and pilot examinations.

Out of curiosity, what went wrong in RE? I don't think it would make the difference of getting in/not getting in, unless you want to study something like religion, theology etc, but they might ask you to explain it...
Reply 4
You don't!! My friend got a D and he left it off and that was apparently perfectly acceptable. Hypothetically you could also leave 5 of your A*s out - it's your choice.
9 A* + 0.5 E > 9 A*
Reply 6
megadeath999
9 A* + 0.5 E > 9 A*

I disagree. The person with 9A*s has reached the maximum potential at the school they've been at.
Reply 7
dont include the E, I got a D in SC Photography and didnt include it
Reply 8
You need to include it unfortunately, because as others have pointed out it's a passing grade, but if the rest of your academic profile's good it shouldn't affect you too negatively...places like oxbridge will look at your academic history more closely...so it might work more against you if you don't include it. In some cases it won't matter if you leave it out (although you're supposed to include all certificated/to be certificated qualifications wherever you apply)...but best to stay on the safe side here....
Reply 9
To all of those who are saying you can leave them out...get out of here.

You guys got away with it because the uni didn't bother checking your certificates.

You actually are meant to declare all, U's do not need to be declared but then again...it's not really a qualification.

People who are wanting to study something like Medicine or something which requires an interview (well all subjects really), include all grades.

Universities may ask to for evidence of grades at any time.

Good luck to all. :smile:
Reply 10
You are legally required to include it, but as evidenced above a lot of people don't include the odd qualification and get away with it.
Reply 11
*MJ*
You guys got away with it because the uni didn't bother checking your certificates.

Out of interest, does this mean that said individuals could have declared any grades they wanted? :s-smilie:
You have to put it down technically, but many don't put down their 'bad' grades.
I'm not going to do your research for you, but i'd look up any potential consequences before you make a decision.
Reply 13
nexttime
Out of interest, does this mean that said individuals could have declared any grades they wanted? :s-smilie:

They could have probably (if the university didn't check), yes.

But if they did and got caught...

Their parents would chop the donnor off their kebab where kebab = body.

:holmes:
They will more than likely not care if you have an E in a subject at GCSE, however, they will care if you lie in your application and then when you submit your certificates they see that you've lied. Most universities will ask for proof of your qualifications at some point and is there really much point in lying your way through the application process worrying that you might get caught out when you could just be honest and it probably won't make much difference?
nexttime

Yep. Did you not hear about the guy in the news who said he had 10 A grades at A Level and got into Oxford? link :p:

Most people apply through their schools and teachers check they're telling the truth, and most unis check certificates/contact the exam boards (usually the former), so lying isn't a very good idea to say the least.
Reply 16
xmarilynx
Yep. Did you not hear about the guy in the news who said he had 10 A grades at A Level and got into Oxford? link :p:

Most people apply through their schools and teachers check they're telling the truth, and most unis check certificates/contact the exam boards (usually the former), so lying isn't a very good idea to say the least.

yeah i did see that (he faked 10, had 13 in total). I did say that 3 weeks ago though! :p:

Pretty amazing achievement in some ways, and i'm still far more annoyed at the guy here who faked a notice telling the other candidates to go home when they all still had interviews...
nexttime
yeah i did see that (he faked 10, had 13 in total). I did say that 3 weeks ago though! :p:

Pretty amazing achievement in some ways, and i'm still far more annoyed at the guy here who faked a notice telling the other candidates to go home when they all still had interviews...

At Merton for E&M wasn't it? I heard about that, really horrible thing to do.
LittleShootingStar*
Hey i was thinking the exact same thing, i did a GCSE-foundation level in another language in year 10 and i ended up with a C(the highest i could get), my college tutor says all grades have to be included, but i really don't want to include it since im considering applying to oxford or cambridge in case they frown upon it or something..what have you decided?

Nothing wrong with a C, it's a reasonable enough grade even for oxbridge unless you're applying to languages (in which case you really should include it anyway). So yet, it should be put down on your application. it's not worth the risk really!
nexttime
i'm still far more annoyed at the guy here who faked a notice telling the other candidates to go home when they all still had interviews...

How did they fix that one? Call everyone?

Latest

Trending

Trending