The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1020
Bit of a stupid question but if I'm 17, in education and unemployed do I still pay tax when it comes to a savings account?
Original post by pappu

Original post by pappu
Bit of a stupid question but if I'm 17, in education and unemployed do I still pay tax when it comes to a savings account?

Not really a stupid question! :p: Your age and education status aren't relevant here. If you have annual income in excess of your 'personal allowance' (currently £7,475 for most people), you should have 20% Income Tax deducted at source on savings interest. However, if your income is below this level you can apply to receive interest gross by completing form R85: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/r85.pdf

You can use form R40 to claim repayment of any Income Tax already overpaid on savings interest: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/r40.pdf
Original post by HumorousGent.

Original post by HumorousGent.
I could do with something being confirmed by a knowledgeable bod. I think I've got this right but can't be sure.

Background:
not a student at any point, but will be this Sept.
currently unemployed, not claiming benefits, not expecting to be employed within 4 wks.

Last tax year I worked at 2 different companies, earning a gross wage of approx £3.5k, paying £300ish in income tax. As far as I can tell, this is below the £7475 personal allowance and as such I am owed that money back. I have the P60 from company 2 but no P45 from company 1. This obviously only declares part of the tax I paid. I can't actually find any payslips from company 1 so can't be certain I paid income tax on it at all.

So, I assume I just send off the P60 and a cover note advising I may be owed tax from the other job (which I can't prove but presumably they can work that out for themselves). Is this right?
-
My other Q is about tax owed from this year. I stopped working at company 2 two weeks ago, and as such have earnt about £6k this tax year and paid £800ish in income tax. As it is, I'm (theoretically) owed that money, but I believe I am right in saying I can't claim for a refund until the end of this tax year, when it is clear to HMRC that I haven't exceeded the £7475 personal allowance (assuming that is still the case come April 5th 2012 [likely]).

Obviously I would like to have that money back sooner rather than later but I'd rather not send off a letter and the P45 if it's a futile exercise.

Am I about right on these or way off?

Any help appreciated, cheers.

Part 1: By the sound of it, you either worked for both companies at the same time, or if they were one after the other, you *didn't* give your form P45 to the second employer? If you'd handed on your form P45, the second employer should have picked up the cumulative figures from the P45. I'd suggest a quick call to your tax office first to see if they have any advice about your income from the job without a form P45/payslips, but otherwise your plan sounds good to me.

Part 2: After four weeks of unemployment (or if you don't expect to work again before 6 April 2012 - see the declaration or the form), you can use form P50 to claim a refund here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/p50.pdf
Reply 1023
Should I have got my P45 sent back along with the tax return I applied for? I had sent part A of my P45 and my last manual pay slip and got the tax return cheque at the end of May but haven't got anything else.
Original post by cz100

Original post by cz100
Should I have got my P45 sent back along with the tax return I applied for? I had sent part A of my P45 and my last manual pay slip and got the tax return cheque at the end of May but haven't got anything else.

Tax refund or tax return? A self assessment tax return is the document that you'd submit as part of calculating your tax liability for a year.

Assuming that you're talking about a refund, no, I wouldn't expect you to get your P45 back - but you should have kept part 1A for your own records when requesting a refund. If you didn't then you could try giving the tax office a call and seeing if they can help, but I wouldn't be too hopeful.
Reply 1025
Original post by Illusionary
Tax refund or tax return? A self assessment tax return is the document that you'd submit as part of calculating your tax liability for a year.

Assuming that you're talking about a refund, no, I wouldn't expect you to get your P45 back - but you should have kept part 1A for your own records when requesting a refund. If you didn't then you could try giving the tax office a call and seeing if they can help, but I wouldn't be too hopeful.

Yeah it was a refund. I've got part 1A, just wondering if I should have got the parts I sent off back.
Original post by cz100

Original post by cz100
Yeah it was a refund. I've got part 1A, just wondering if I should have got the parts I sent off back.

No, I wouldn't expect so. Is there a particular reason why you think you should?
Reply 1027
No, I wouldn't expect so. Is there a particular reason why you think you should?

I thought I read somewhere that they'll send a replacement P45
Original post by cz100

Original post by cz100
I thought I read somewhere that they'll send a replacement P45

Well, given that you've claimed a refund, the cumulative figures on the P45 won't be valid any longer to pass to a new employer. The Part 1A should have all of the information that you need for your records. :smile:
Reply 1029
Well, given that you've claimed a refund, the cumulative figures on the P45 won't be valid any longer to pass to a new employer. The Part 1A should have all of the information that you need for your records. :smile:

Ok, thanks :smile:
Part 1: By the sound of it, you either worked for both companies at the same time, or if they were one after the other, you *didn't* give your form P45 to the second employer? If you'd handed on your form P45, the second employer should have picked up the cumulative figures from the P45. I'd suggest a quick call to your tax office first to see if they have any advice about your income from the job without a form P45/payslips, but otherwise your plan sounds good to me.

Part 2: After four weeks of unemployment (or if you don't expect to work again before 6 April 2012 - see the declaration or the form), you can use form P50 to claim a refund here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/p50.pdf

No overlap between companies but it was pretty close, company 2 got a P46 I believe. I will give them a bell and see what they say. And I'll get a P50 sent off for this year's tax.

Thanks for the confirmation, repped.
Hi

Just wondering if I am right?
I am a placement student (not relevant I know) but for a £15,000 job, ive worked out i'd be taxed just under £3k

But don't I get my £7k free personal allowance first

So wouldn't I be taxed 20% of £8k which is half of what I've currently just worked out?

I'd rather not bother with the whole refund/reclaim thing- it's my first week of pay and I've not cashed in my cheque so wondering how long it might take to change my current tax code which is 0T M1? If I can?

Thanks
Hope someone can shed some light =] xx

The title annoys me- I meant cheque! =[
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1032
http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php

On 15k you'll pay £1500 on income tax and £930 national insurance, so about £2400 overall.

Is that what you meant by 'just under £3k'?
Original post by melodic-verse

Hi

Just wondering if I am right?
I am a placement student (not relevant I know) but for a £15,000 job, ive worked out i'd be taxed just under £3k

But don't I get my £7k free personal allowance first

So wouldn't I be taxed 20% of £8k which is half of what I've currently just worked out?

I'd rather not bother with the whole refund/reclaim thing- it's my first week of pay and I've not cashed in my cheque so wondering how long it might take to change my current tax code which is 0T M1? If I can?

Thanks
Hope someone can shed some light =] xx

The title annoys me- I meant cheque! =[

Is this your only source of income? A "0T" tax code would indicate that your personal allowance has been used elsewhere. If that's not the case, your tax code may well be incorrect - did you complete a form P46 when starting the job? If not, then do so: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p46.pdf :smile:
Is this your only source of income? A "0T" tax code would indicate that your personal allowance has been used elsewhere. If that's not the case, your tax code may well be incorrect - did you complete a form P46 when starting the job? If not, then do so: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p46.pdf :smile:

I have a cash ISA and a student bank account
But it's definitely my only source of income
Ive not even bothered reapplying for student loan this year

Also my allowance couldnt have been used elsewhere
I dont HAVE £7k to my name =P
(edited 12 years ago)

I have a cash ISA and a student bank account
But it's definitely my only source of income
Ive not even bothered reapplying for student loan this year

Also my allowance couldnt have been used elsewhere
I dont HAVE £7k to my name =P

Did you complete a form P46?
Did you complete a form P46?

yes
I did the first page (ticked box A)
The employer did the second page so they ticked the tax code box used? Think that could be the problem maybe?

yes
I did the first page (ticked box A)
The employer did the second page so they ticked the tax code box used? Think that could be the problem maybe?

Possibly the form's not been fully processed yet - have a word with your employer in the first instance. :smile:
Reply 1038
Not a British citizen so relying on a scholarship from my government to get me through uni + a little extra from parents. Want to study in the U.K so was just wondering if I will get charged income tax on the money I get from scholarship + parents?
So I am 16 and I have a saturday job but this month I have worked a few extra days so I will be getting roughly £750 at the end of the month. I normally only earn about £300 because I work on one day each weekend. Will I be taxed this month because of the extra earnings and if so how much will be deducted(bearing in mind I am only 16)?
Thanks.

Latest

Trending

Trending