The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by steviep14

Is owning a website classed as employment though.. because that may also be a factor?

If you're running your website as a business, you're likely to be treated as self-employed rather than being an employee.
so is my site a business the minute I begin charging for ad space? sorry if I am sounding stupid here it's just I am new to this stuff..

so is my site a business the minute I begin charging for ad space? sorry if I am sounding stupid here it's just I am new to this stuff..

As soon as you acquire a source of income, the answer would usually be yes (from a tax perspective).
ok so I wouldn't need to contact HMRC until I sealed an advertising deal.. i.e. I receive some money for my website.. but until then I am ok?
Thanks for all your help illusionary :biggrin:

ok so I wouldn't need to contact HMRC until I sealed an advertising deal.. i.e. I receive some money for my website.. but until then I am ok?
Thanks for all your help illusionary :biggrin:

I'd suggest that it would be worth a quick call to your tax office at least, as having set up your website that could be considered a source of income at this stage. That, and take a look over the guidance that I linked to. :smile:
ok, well I have mock exams now so I will sort this before I launch my site and I have finished my mocks and yes I will read your guidance on those links.. Thanks again for your help :smile:
Think I've been overpaying tax and I'm very confused

From July 2011 to September 2011 I was employed and paid a total of £1450.16 with £69.80 taken in income tax

Since October I've been in employment (with the same employer, but a different branch) and have been earning £175.62 a week whilst being taxed £6.20 per week.

I've continually been on tax code 747L which I gather is the correct code to be on, but by my reckoning I shoudnt be being taxed? I'm sure that by the end of the tax year in April I won't have earnt over the personal allowance, so will I be able to claim back the tax I've paid? I'm hoping I'll be able to do this in April with my P45 from my July-Sept job and my p60 from my current job?

Any help would be appreciated :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by stargirl001

Think I've been overpaying tax and I'm very confused

From July 2011 to September 2011 I was employed and paid a total of £1450.16 with £69.80 taken in income tax

Since October I've been in employment (with the same employer, but a different branch) and have been earning £175.62 a week whilst being taxed £6.20 per week.

I've continually been on tax code 747L which I gather is the correct code to be on, but by my reckoning I shoudnt be being taxed? I'm sure that by the end of the tax year in April I won't have earnt over the personal allowance, so will I be able to claim back the tax I've paid? I'm hoping I'll be able to do this in April with my P45 from my July-Sept job and my p60 from my current job?

Any help would be appreciated :smile:

Does your tax code have a "week 1", "month 1" or "non-cumulative" suffix, or similar? It looks like you're being taxed not based on your cumulative income and tax deductions, but by treating each week in isolation. If so, I'd suggest that you ask for employer for an explanation of this (did you give Parts 2 and 3 of your form P45 to them when you started in October), but if you make no progress there try giving your tax office a call.

However, if you get to the end of the tax year and your income for the year doesn't exceed your personal allowance (currently £7,475 for most people) then I'd expect you to be able to make a claim then for repayment of any overpaid Income Tax, by writing to your tax office and enclosing evidence of your income and tax deductions for the year.
Original post by Illusionary
Does your tax code have a "week 1", "month 1" or "non-cumulative" suffix, or similar? It looks like you're being taxed not based on your cumulative income and tax deductions, but by treating each week in isolation. If so, I'd suggest that you ask for employer for an explanation of this (did you give Parts 2 and 3 of your form P45 to them when you started in October), but if you make no progress there try giving your tax office a call.

However, if you get to the end of the tax year and your income for the year doesn't exceed your personal allowance (currently £7,475 for most people) then I'd expect you to be able to make a claim then for repayment of any overpaid Income Tax, by writing to your tax office and enclosing evidence of your income and tax deductions for the year.

I've just had a look at Part 1 of my P45 (gave Parts 2 and 3 to my employer) and the box for Week 1/Month 1 is ticked. My payslips say Tax Code 747L and Tax Basis 1, which I assume refers to the Week 1/Month 1 thing?

Thanks for your help :smile:

I've just had a look at Part 1 of my P45 (gave Parts 2 and 3 to my employer) and the box for Week 1/Month 1 is ticked. My payslips say Tax Code 747L and Tax Basis 1, which I assume refers to the Week 1/Month 1 thing?

Thanks for your help :smile:

I thought as much. The issue may be that you didn't complete a form P46 for your employer when you first started with them, so they weren't apply to apply a standard cumulative code. Try raising this with them, but you may need to go to your tax office to get this resolved - or just wait until the end of the year if you're not bothered about having to claim a refund later.
Hello everyone, was wondering if there's anyone out there who can help me!

Basically, I have a place at uni starting in October 2012. I'm 18 and now on Gap Year, and I'm working in retail. I'm really unsure about the tax i'm paying - i've done research myself and i'm still so confused, so wondering if anyone has also been in this situation or can explain in 'English' so to speak.

I have a few questions also:

1.) Will I be able to claim tax back when I start uni in October? (WIll be in full-time education)

2.) Should I even be taxed? I've been taxed 20%.

3.) I've been told I have a 'balance of tax allowances' of £610, and 'a tax free amount of' £610 - what does this mean?!

So sososososoos confused, PLEASE HELP!

If there's any Gap Year people who have dealt with this then pleasey also reply!

Much appreciated!
Reply 1311
Ok, the fact you're on a GAP year is irrelevant when it comes to your tax.

What is relevant is how much you're being paid, how much you've already been paid in this tax year (and tax years run April-April), and your tax code.

The standard tax code for this year is 747L, which basically means you have around £7.5k a year tax free allowance and will pay 20% tax on anything above that amount.

The chances are you are on an emergency tax code which means you will be paying 20% tax on everything you earn. Did you fill in a form p46 when you started working? If you didn't (and didn't have a p45 from a previous employer) you should ask your current employer for one.

If any tax overpayment is not given back to you through the PAYE system you should be able to call the tax office and ask. You're obviously crossing two different tax years as you will be working until October, so come October if you're not in employment you should be able to claim back any tax overpayments.
Original post by Shani
Ok, the fact you're on a GAP year is irrelevant when it comes to your tax.

What is relevant is how much you're being paid, how much you've already been paid in this tax year (and tax years run April-April), and your tax code.

The standard tax code for this year is 747L, which basically means you have around £7.5k a year tax free allowance and will pay 20% tax on anything above that amount.

The chances are you are on an emergency tax code which means you will be paying 20% tax on everything you earn. Did you fill in a form p46 when you started working? If you didn't (and didn't have a p45 from a previous employer) you should ask your current employer for one.

If any tax overpayment is not given back to you through the PAYE system you should be able to call the tax office and ask. You're obviously crossing two different tax years as you will be working until October, so come October if you're not in employment you should be able to claim back any tax overpayments.

A blank form P46 can be downloaded from HMRC's website - there's no need necessarily to request it from the employer: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p46.pdf Otherwise, you're pretty much correct here. :yy:

Bubblebath - once you're tax code has been updated (it's likely "BR" or "0T" at the moment, you should receive a refund of any overpaid Income Tax for the tax year automatically through the payroll system. If your income to 5 April 2012 is no more than £7,475, I'd expect that you'll have no Income Tax liability for the year as a whole - but if you've still paid Income Tax overall then call your tax office. When you leave work in October, there's a form that you can use to reclaim any overpayment - a form P50: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/p50.pdf

Note that the standard tax-free 'personal allowance' is due to increase to £8,105 for 2012/13.
Got a question here - started two jobs in October, didn't give in a P46 (no idea why, never got given one to do) for either.

Now, first job has tax code BR, which I understand to be a general tax me because of no P45/6.

Second is 0T - which I guess is because I had no Personal Allowance allocated agaisnt it?

Anyway, this is all amounting to almost £600 tax, which is a huge amount. I'm going traveling in March for 3 months, so will have to wait until I get back in England to claim it? Or can they do it automatically?

Thanks!
Original post by Silkielemon
Got a question here - started two jobs in October, didn't give in a P46 (no idea why, never got given one to do) for either.

Now, first job has tax code BR, which I understand to be a general tax me because of no P45/6.

Second is 0T - which I guess is because I had no Personal Allowance allocated agaisnt it?

Anyway, this is all amounting to almost £600 tax, which is a huge amount. I'm going traveling in March for 3 months, so will have to wait until I get back in England to claim it? Or can they do it automatically?

Thanks!

While ideally employers would give a form P46 to all new employees, ultimately it's your responsibility to complete one for a new employer.

Are you still working at both jobs? If so, how much longer do you expect to work for them do you expect to earn in each job until 5 April 2012?
While ideally employers would give a form P46 to all new employees, ultimately it's your responsibility to complete one for a new employer.

Are you still working at both jobs? If so, how much longer do you expect to work for them do you expect to earn in each job until 5 April 2012?

I know :colondollar:

First job has now finished - waiting for last pay slip but it's about £348 IT and £14 NI.

Second job I'll be ending next month, when I hand in notice, probably end of February but won't get paid until the end of March for a few weeks (stupid Halfords pay system) Currently have £183.60 tax to date for them.
I know :colondollar:

First job has now finished - waiting for last pay slip but it's about £348 IT and £14 NI.

Second job I'll be ending next month, when I hand in notice, probably end of February but won't get paid until the end of March for a few weeks (stupid Halfords pay system) Currently have £183.60 tax to date for them.

Hmm... okay, well at this stage the simplest thing is likely going to be to wait until you leave the second job, then complete a form P50 (link: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/p50.pdf) and send that to your tax office, together with Parts 2 and 3 of the form P45 that you should receive from each employer. You don't need to wait until the end of the tax year.

It should possible to arrange for a refund of any overpayment while you're still employed at your second job if cash flow is a big concern, but may well take more in the way of admin to get sorted. If you wanted to go this route, let me know.
Hmm... okay, well at this stage the simplest thing is likely going to be to wait until you leave the second job, then complete a form P50 (link: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/p50.pdf) and send that to your tax office, together with Parts 2 and 3 of the form P45 that you should receive from each employer. You don't need to wait until the end of the tax year.

It should possible to arrange for a refund of any overpayment while you're still employed at your second job if cash flow is a big concern, but may well take more in the way of admin to get sorted. If you wanted to go this route, let me know.

Cheers man, should I be receiving the P45 with the last pay slip from each job? Also, do I have to fill in the P50 or can I ask someone else (like a parent) to do it while I'm away?

Think I'll just wait for my last job to end, makes it simpler.
Cheers man, should I be receiving the P45 with the last pay slip from each job? Also, do I have to fill in the P50 or can I ask someone else (like a parent) to do it while I'm away?

Think I'll just wait for my last job to end, makes it simpler.

I'd expect you to receive your form P45 shortly after the last payslip, but probably not at exactly the same time. That's something that you're best to ask your employers about.

The form P50 includes a declaration that you need to sign personally. It's not a long or difficult form to complete, though.
I was a temp at next from November till 31st of December. From the 1st of January I have been on a permanent contract (different payroll number).

I only just got my P45 from the temp job, which I should hand to my manager but I have just got a new job.

so do I give it to my current manager or wait till Saturday?

Latest

Trending

Trending