The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
They wouldn't need any proof, because if you were lying and then got paid by your old job, you would pay full (20%) tax on it.
I'd still rather keep everything tidy and in order though, I don't want to be in my forties and having to work my around a job I had when I was 18

I'll phone up and do that for now though and then ask what I need to do to make it known I no longer worked there.
Original post by megan.c
I'd still rather keep everything tidy and in order though, I don't want to be in my forties and having to work my around a job I had when I was 18

I'll phone up and do that for now though and then ask what I need to do to make it known I no longer worked there.

HMRC should have been notified by your former employer (on Part 1 of Form P45) when you left the job, so really they should already know that you've left. Did you receive a form P45 for your records?

I'd agree that a call to your tax office should be sufficient here - they can advise on the call if they need any further information.
Hi all,

I have a question regarding tax.

I am a distance learning / part time postgraduate student

and

I have recently started working - roughly 45 hours per week after the first two training weeks.

I consider myself a mature student (26years old) so should I pay tax on my wages?

The reason I ask is because when I was at college I didn't pay tax as a full time student.
Original post by karimgilani
Hi all,

I have a question regarding tax.

I am a distance learning / part time postgraduate student

and

I have recently started working - roughly 45 hours per week after the first two training weeks.

I consider myself a mature student (26years old) so should I pay tax on my wages?

The reason I ask is because when I was at college I didn't pay tax as a full time student.

Being a student has nothing whatsoever to do with whether you have an Income Tax liability for a given year. If you didn't have to pay Income Tax previously, this will have been because your income was insufficient to result in a liability.

For the year ending 5 April 2013, the amount of income that you can have without having an Income Tax liability is £8,105 for most people in the UK, though depending on your pattern of income it can be necessary to pay tax that you later reclaim, even if your total income is below this. I assume that this is your first job since 6 April 2012? If so, you need to complete a form P46 for your new employer: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p46.pdf

How much do you expect to be earning each week?
Reply 1585
For this section of a P38 'am a student attending, name of school, college or other' what school do you put if youve finished A Levels and awaiting to go to university? Shall i just wait for results day or could i send it off now?
I know it should of been sent before i work, however the stupid guy at the interview said it wasnt needed, im already 1 2 months into work with this company.
Thanks
Original post by H.Maleki
For this section of a P38 'am a student attending, name of school, college or other' what school do you put if youve finished A Levels and awaiting to go to university? Shall i just wait for results day or could i send it off now?
I know it should of been sent before i work, however the stupid guy at the interview said it wasnt needed, im already 1 2 months into work with this company.
Thanks
You're not eligible to use form P38(S) here I'm afraid. Reread the declaration that you need to sign to use the form:
I, [full name] am a student attending [name of school, college or other] and shall continue to attend until after 5 April next.

If this is you first job since 6 April 2012, complete a form P46 instead: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p46.pdf
Reply 1587
Original post by Illusionary
You're not eligible to use form P38(S) here I'm afraid. Reread the declaration that you need to sign to use the form:

If this is you first job since 6 April 2012, complete a form P46 instead: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p46.pdf

I have another job which i started in febuary, but i only get like £50 every 2 weeks. Can i not send a p38 after i confirm a uni, because i will be attending and i will attend after the 5th
Original post by H.Maleki
I have another job which i started in febuary, but i only get like £50 every 2 weeks. Can i not send a p38 after i confirm a uni, because i will be attending and i will attend after the 5th

Right, that complicates things. a bit further. Read further into the declaration on the form P38(S):
I have no employment except during holidays.

No, from what you've described you definitely can't use form P38(S) here. Complete form P46 and from what you've described it sounds like you'd need to tick box C, indicating that you have another job. I'd then expect your resulting tax code to be "BR", such that all of your income is taxed at the basic rate of 20%. You can, however, then contact your tax office and request that your personal allowance is split between the two jobs (based on your expected levels of income from each over the year), which may mean that you can avoid paying Income Tax that you later have to reclaim.
I recently filed a tax return and I managed to claim tax I was owed for the 2011-2012 tax year.

I am now working at M&S at the moment as a temp (and have done since the end of May) and I've been taxed and had NI contributions. I've been told to speak to people at HR at work about my N.I. contributions.

I was also told that for tax, HMRC will send info/input (??? can't remember) to M&S so I can get my tax back before I finish my contract. They don't know how long this will take, but if it takes too long I may have to wait until the end of the tax year before I can get the tax back.

How long will it take for the info to be sent to work so I can start getting my tax back? The lady on the phone said she wasn't sure, but I am hoping something can be sorted by the end of August, or within the next few weeks.

Advice anyone?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Dee Leigh
I recently filed a tax return and I managed to claim tax I was owed for the 2011-2012 tax year.

I am now working at M&S at the moment as a temp (and have done since the end of May) and I've been taxed and had NI contributions. I've been told to speak to people at HR at work about my N.I. contributions.

I was also told that for tax, HMRC will send info/input (??? can't remember) to M&S so I can get my tax back before I finish my contract. They don't know how long this will take, but if it takes too long I may have to wait until the end of the tax year before I can get the tax back.

I am worried right now. I am kind of desperate so I need the money back as soon as. I can't wait until the end of the tax year, that's too long.

How long will it take for the info to be sent to work so I can start getting my tax back? The lady on the phone said she wasn't sure, but I am hoping something can be sorted by the end of August, or within the next few weeks.

Advice anyone?

This will depend on how busy your tax office current are - I'd usually expect a turnaround of a few weeks.

Why do you believe that you shouldn't be paying Income Tax at this job? What's your current 'tax code', as shown on your payslips? Also, it's notable that National Insurance Contributions are unlikely to be reclaimable here.
This will depend on how busy your tax office current are - I'd usually expect a turnaround of a few weeks.

Why do you believe that you shouldn't be paying Income Tax at this job? What's your current 'tax code', as shown on your payslips? Also, it's notable that National Insurance Contributions are unlikely to be reclaimable here.

It's not that I don't believe that I shouldn't be taxed, but I have been informed that I can claim the tax back - I am being emergency taxed.

As for N.I, HMRC informed that if I am being paid £146+ weekly (I am paid weekly) and I don't earn near that much a week even when I do extra hours. The lady told me that I have to speak to my employer about that, it's not something HMRC can sort out.
It's not that I don't believe that I shouldn't be taxed, but I have been informed that I can claim the tax back - I am being emergency taxed.

As for N.I, HMRC informed that if I am being paid £146+ weekly (I am paid weekly) and I don't earn near that much a week even when I do extra hours. The lady told me that I have to speak to my employer about that, it's not something HMRC can sort out.

You've PMed your tax code to me and I can tell you that it's the standard tax code that I'd expect employers to be using in the absence of anything to suggest otherwise. While you remain in employment, you'll only be able to receive an Income Tax refund for the current tax year via an adjustment to your tax code (which could result in a repayment of Income Tax via the payroll system the next time that you're paid), but you're on the correct tax code.

If in due course you leave the job and don't expect your total income for the tax year to exceed your personal allowance (currently £8,105 for most people), at that point you may be able to request a refund of any Income Tax paid to date for the year. You can do so by contacting your tax office once you're no longer employed, but not before then.

Re NIC, how much do you earn each week? Employees' NICs are calculated for each pay period in isolation, at a rate of 12% on income in excess of £146 per week, and can't be reclaimed on the basis of having an overall annual income that would average out to less than this.
You've PMed your tax code to me and I can tell you that it's the standard tax code that I'd expect employers to be using in the absence of anything to suggest otherwise. While you remain in employment, you'll only be able to receive an Income Tax refund for the current tax year via an adjustment to your tax code (which could result in a repayment of Income Tax via the payroll system the next time that you're paid), but you're on the correct tax code.

If in due course you leave the job and don't expect your total income for the tax year to exceed your personal allowance (currently £8,105 for most people), at that point you may be able to request a refund of any Income Tax paid to date for the year. You can do so by contacting your tax office once you're no longer employed, but not before then.

Re NIC, how much do you earn each week? Employees' NICs are calculated for each pay period in isolation, at a rate of 12% on income in excess of £146 per week, and can't be reclaimed on the basis of having an overall annual income that would average out to less than this.

As I am a temp, I am due to leave the job when my contract finishes, and will be starting uni in September.

Weekly I am.paid £109.76.
As I am a temp, I am due to leave the job when my contract finishes, and will be starting uni in September.

Weekly I am.paid £109.76.

Okay, well when you leave the job you can request a refund at that point.

With weekly income of £109.76 I wouldn't expect any NIC deductions, unless you happen to have higher income for any given week. Are you certain that you are having NICs deducted? They should be shown separately on your payslip if you are.
Okay, well when you leave the job you can request a refund at that point.

With weekly income of £109.76 I wouldn't expect any NIC deductions, unless you happen to have higher income for any given week. Are you certain that you are having NICs deducted? They should be shown separately on your payslip if you are.

Ok...just checked my payslips and I have only had NICs deducated whenever I do extra hours (hence going over the amount). Sorry my mistake.

Also some weeks I have been taxed and some weeks I have not. I admit my payslips can be quite confusing!

As for requesting a tax refund what is the best way to do this? As I said before in my previous post I have spoken to HMRC.
Ok...just checked my payslips and I have only had NICs deducated whenever I do extra hours (hence going over the amount). Sorry my mistake.

Also some weeks I have been taxed and some weeks I have not. I admit my payslips can be quite confusing!

As for requesting a tax refund what is the best way to do this? As I said before in my previous post I have spoken to HMRC.

Do your payslips show a cumulative Income Tax deduction? The 'Pay As You Earn' process used to collect Income Tax at source work by applying a correction to the cumulative deduction each time that you're paid - this cumulative deduction is the total that you may be able to reclaim.

To request a current year refund, a telephone call to your tax office is the best way to start. They can then advise you what else (if anything) they need from you to arrange a refund.
Hi guys im 17 and in full time education. i'm getting really pissed off about how i'm being wrongly taxed! I got my first job at the beginning of july and i did the standard p46 and stuff! My employer sent it off! Got my first payslip and it turns out i had been taxed! I was fuming! Anyway to sort this i phoned the head office for the company i work for, they make me do another one, i did it about 3 weeks ago, phoned them today and they said they hadn't recieved it and i need to do YET another p46.. All i need is to change my tax code and get my taxes refunded!

I'm fed up with the company's inability to sort things out, is there a way i can sort it out through HMRC tax and revenue by phone do i have to fill out any forms, and can they be done online?

Thanks alot guys, sorry for the long story!!
Between the government and the taxman, crime in this country is high. Although I don't know what I would do myself.
I work in recruitment/medical staffing and we have this problem on a daily basis, our doctors are always complaing about their tax code. We submit their p46 to payroll who inform the inland revenue who in turn sort out the tax code, all in all its around a 3 month process! Apparently theres a number you can call to speed it up (will check my work email tomorrow if you really want to know, but you may have spoken to them already). Or it could just be that you're on emergency tax as if its your job, the tax office are dodgy like that. Do you get paid monthly or weekly? It should HOPEFULLY be rectified by next months pay, at least my first salary was. You will get all overpaid tax back eventually though. Kinda lame as you cant directly request the refund, you'll just automatically get it back somehow

Latest

Trending

Trending