The Student Room Group

To Sleep? Or Not to Sleep? That is the Question!

Yeah so basically, I can't sleep, despite lying in bed for the last 2 hours. I'm wondering would it be a wise idea just to go out, grab some food and some pro-plus and just stay up and watch some movies?

My sleeping pattern has been pretty messed up for quite a long time. I don't go to bed normally until about 3 or 4am and I don't get up until about 2pm at the earliest (The other day I got up at 4pm) on days that I don't have classes etc On the days I do have to get up, I find it incredibly hard to do so and often find myself having to get loads of caffiene to stay awake.

The thing is, since my sleeping pattern has been this messed up for so long, I find it almost physically impossible to go to bed at a reasonable time as I just consider 12 or 1am to be early and I feel if I go to bed at this time it's just a waste of time (Ironic considering how late I get up) and that I wouldn't be able to sleep anyway.

I figured that maybe if I try and stay up now, that tomorrow I'll be able to go to bed at a reasonable time and actually get to sleep and hence wake up at a reasonable time the next day. I'm not to sure if I'll be able to do this so and whether it would actually be a good idea or not. I reckon I'll probably end up so tired by about 4pm tomorrow, I'll have a nap, wake up 4 hours later and then not be tired when it actually comes to going to sleep.

Suggestions anyone? Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you need pro plus to stay awake go to sleep. Obey your body.

I keep going to bed at 4-5am then wake up at 9am, go for 2h nap at about 16.00 and I keep living like this for a month already.
Reply 2
I'm the same but I find that even when I get little sleep the night before I'll still stay up till 4/5 despite the fact I should be tired earlier having got little sleep.
Reply 3
I have developed the same problem. My sleeping pattern is go too bed about 4 or 5 wake up at 10-11 then have a nap between 7 pm till 10pm :frown: such a nightmare but when your being a useless layabout during the holidays its a hard habit to break :biggrin:

I reckon the stay awake all day is a good idea to reset your pattern if you can hack it!
Reply 4
Moa
If you need pro plus to stay awake go to sleep. Obey your body.

The problem is, I can't sleep at the moment. I know at about 4 -5am, I'll get tired and will be able to sleep however then the problem is getting up. Due to going to bed so late, I'll be too tired to get up in the morning and will hence sleep until late in the afternoon and will hence not go to bed until late... ad infinitum.
You Failed
The problem is, I can't sleep at the moment. I know at about 4 -5am, I'll get tired and will be able to sleep however then the problem is getting up. Due to going to bed so late, I'll be too tired to get up in the morning and will hence sleep until late in the afternoon and will hence not go to bed until late... ad infinitum.

Join me I have the same plan, staying up all night without the proplus mind to try and reset my body clock to something resembling normal reasdy for uni on Monday!
Reply 6
You Failed

Well then, whats wrong with it? Waking up at 9am, going to sleep at 11pm, thats 14 hours. Waking up at 2pm, going to sleep at 4am thats 14 hours. You are not losing anything. BTW how do you manage to wake up late in afternoon every day - you have no lectures?
Reply 7
I go to bed at 8am and wake up at 6pm. On Saturday I didn't sleep at all, and stayed up until 4am Monday, slept for 12 hours, and my pattern resumed. I'm hoping going back to uni will make it normal. :frown:
I try to do killer sudokus. Sends me to sleep quick time. Just a nightmare when the pen stabs me in the middle of the night waking me up. Or I wake up covered in pen, not realising as I rush to get dressed and to a lecture...
Reply 9
How is it that some of you go to bed at 4/5 then wake up at a decent time still!? Yeah fair play you have a nap later but that's not the point. How are you able to naturally wake up only 6 hours after turning in? I simply can't do that. Once I'm gone I'm gone for atleast 12 hours unless I've set an alarm, which I'll often sleep through anyway.
chris king
How is it that some of you go to bed at 4/5 then wake up at a decent time still!? Yeah fair play you have a nap later but that's not the point. How are you able to naturally wake up only 6 hours after turning in? I simply can't do that. Once I'm gone I'm gone for atleast 12 hours unless I've set an alarm, which I'll often sleep through anyway.

Well, it is possible. I can sleep 4h and don't feel sleepy for the rest of the day :p:
Reply 11
have you tried drinking Hot ( fresh ) milk ? because i always hear that it makes you sleepy ... in facts it makes me sleepy ... i used to drink a huge glass of hot milk at 3pm everyday and mysteriously i always ended up in my bed 30 minutes later ... i had to stop drinking hot milk cuz of that :smile:.
Reply 12
chris king

Too much noise in the house! no one has respect for people who go too bed at silly o clock these days :no:

Along with being woken up by a parent saying that "your wasting the day" :rolleyes:
Reply 13
Moa
Well then, whats wrong with it? Waking up at 9am, going to sleep at 11pm, thats 14 hours. Waking up at 2pm, going to sleep at 4am thats 14 hours. You are not losing anything. BTW how do you manage to wake up late in afternoon every day - you have no lectures?

For the same reason people don't get up at 9pm and go to sleep again at 9am, it's just not the preferred hours to be awake, there's no one around, I'm unproductive during the night and it's just not quite the same. I didn't say every day I do this, I said any days that I don't actually have to get up, which has been the last 3 weeks and will be for the next week. Also last term, on 4 out of 7 days of the week I didn't have to get up until at least 3pm. This term I have more earlier starts and thus want to try and get a normal sleep pattern.
Reply 14
I do that all the time, s'a good plan.
Butterflyleg
Well, it is possible. I can sleep 4h and don't feel sleepy for the rest of the day :p:

How I wish I could be like that.
I stayed up through the night in hope of resetting my body clock. I went out that day to stop myself dozing off at home. I was feeling quite sleepy so I went sleep early at 9pm and woke up only 6 hours later! I thought I might needed 10-12! I thought 3am is too early to wake up so I carried on sleeping because there's nothing better to do and now my body clock is back to square one! :frown:
I don't think it will work. Last week to correct my sleep pattern (almost the same as yours) I did an all nighter but felt insanely tired at like 2pm the next day and unable to do anything. Went to bed early that night but within a couple of days I found myself slipping back into a late routine again - and alas here we are a few days on and I am up at 3.35am. Whoopsie.
Yekim_8
Too much noise in the house! no one has respect for people who go too bed at silly o clock these days :no:

Along with being woken up by a parent saying that "your wasting the day" :rolleyes:

Yup, my parents can't stand it either. Dad will occassionally come in with a cup of tea at about 11 and be like, 'may as well get up now lad, don't want to waste the day'. I will then go back to sleep and wake up at 4pm, being greeted by the cold tea and a feeling of confusion as to its presence. It will then take a few minutes to realise I've been a clown again. Another wasted day!
Reply 19
You Failed
Yeah so basically, I can't sleep, despite lying in bed for the last 2 hours. I'm wondering would it be a wise idea just to go out, grab some food and some pro-plus and just stay up and watch some movies?

My sleeping pattern has been pretty messed up for quite a long time. I don't go to bed normally until about 3 or 4am and I don't get up until about 2pm at the earliest (The other day I got up at 4pm) on days that I don't have classes etc On the days I do have to get up, I find it incredibly hard to do so and often find myself having to get loads of caffiene to stay awake.

The thing is, since my sleeping pattern has been this messed up for so long, I find it almost physically impossible to go to bed at a reasonable time as I just consider 12 or 1am to be early and I feel if I go to bed at this time it's just a waste of time (Ironic considering how late I get up) and that I wouldn't be able to sleep anyway.

I figured that maybe if I try and stay up now, that tomorrow I'll be able to go to bed at a reasonable time and actually get to sleep and hence wake up at a reasonable time the next day. I'm not to sure if I'll be able to do this so and whether it would actually be a good idea or not. I reckon I'll probably end up so tired by about 4pm tomorrow, I'll have a nap, wake up 4 hours later and then not be tired when it actually comes to going to sleep.

Suggestions anyone? Thanks.

This is the story of my life... :\ I'm also contemplating an all nighter...
x

Latest

Trending

Trending