Turn on thread page Beta

Which is the best College at Cambridge for medicine? watch

Announcements

(Original post by marymedic)
    Why do u want to go to a mediocre medical school like cambridge? U should be aiming for Newcastle medical school if you had any sense....
    Cambridge always ranks it at about 5th or 6th in the tables sure, but then the margin between unis is sooo tight anyway its just silly. Newcastle was top last year, but about 4th the year before.
    You're obviously just a silly fresher whos just gotten their taste of uni and is going all obsessive about it.
    Fricking good night life there though (and the free beer thing is quite fun too)
    J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    Cambridge always ranks it at about 5th or 6th in the tables sure, but then the margin between unis is sooo tight anyway its just silly. Newcastle was top last year, but about 4th the year before.
    You're obviously just a silly fresher whos just gotten their taste of uni and is going all obsessive about it.
    Fricking good night life there though (and the free beer thing is quite fun too)
    J
    free WHAT??

(Original post by DanMushMan)
    free WHAT??
    Yeh, in their union bar on a friday night the dental and medical students get free beer (*****y stuff to the point its barely drinkable). Its only on a friday though and only from 9 till 12. (may be wrong on this, i cant remember that much from my trip....)
    J

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, in their union bar on a friday night the dental and medical students get free beer (*****y stuff to the point its barely drinkable). Its only on a friday though and only from 9 till 12. (may be wrong on this, i cant remember that much from my trip....)
    J
    wtf? free beer?

ReputationRep:
    free beer on a friday night at medsoc!
    When you go to a medical school like newcastle which is so heavily funded where else do u think the money would go
    Seriously though - this is the best place to live, and the best place to get medical education. I am SO happy i am here!

free beer on a friday night at medsoc!
    When you go to a medical school like newcastle which is so heavily funded where else do u think the money would go
    Seriously though - this is the best place to live, and the best place to get medical education. I am SO happy i am here!
    Its good in one aspect is all. I know that you certainly dont get as good anatomy as at cambridge, and your scientific background is alot more basic. Mind you, annoying thing is my friend at Newcastle can whoop me in medicine at the mo cos shes already started clinicals, and i still have a year to wait. But then, im going to graduate with a BA...and she wont.
    Also, its warmer in Cambridge, you can go shopping in London so easily, its soooooooo much safer and its an experience totally unlike any other university (cept perhaps Oxford and Durham who also have the collegiate system)
    J

ReputationRep:
    Its good in one aspect is all. I know that you certainly dont get as good anatomy as at cambridge, and your scientific background is alot more basic. Mind you, annoying thing is my friend at Newcastle can whoop me in medicine at the mo cos shes already started clinicals, and i still have a year to wait. But then, im going to graduate with a BA...and she wont.
    Also, its warmer in Cambridge, you can go shopping in London so easily, its soooooooo much safer and its an experience totally unlike any other university (cept perhaps Oxford and Durham who also have the collegiate system)
    J
    No offence dude, but who cares about more science!
    The course here is THE best integrated one in the country (and u cant argue with that!) and medicine is SO much more about science.
    Are you tryiing to say that the science taught here is substandard? BEcause i can tell u it is pretty damn good! We have a lot of anatomy sessions in the D.R. but at the same time we are told the clinical implications!
    NEwcastle is known to produce the best graduates which is why its medical degree is so well recognised!
    Plus, we can do an extra degree in a year if we want, meaning both our courses would be the same length!
    Social scene in Newcastle is fantastic, the best party city in the WORLD (beat London )
    It is very cheap to live here, and everything is not more than a 15 minute walk away (from what ive found!)
    Do u do medicine j?

No offence dude, but who cares about more science!
    The course here is THE best integrated one in the country (and u cant argue with that!) and medicine is SO much more about science.
    Are you tryiing to say that the science taught here is substandard? BEcause i can tell u it is pretty damn good! We have a lot of anatomy sessions in the D.R. but at the same time we are told the clinical implications!
    NEwcastle is known to produce the best graduates which is why its medical degree is so well recognised!
    Plus, we can do an extra degree in a year if we want, meaning both our courses would be the same length!
    Social scene in Newcastle is fantastic, the best party city in the WORLD (beat London )
    It is very cheap to live here, and everything is not more than a 15 minute walk away (from what ive found!)
    Do u do medicine j?
    WEll yeh, how else could I know what I'm talking about.
    I'm a 3rd year medic at Cambridge, but have spent time at Newcastle because my best friends from home are medics in the 3rd year there.
    So what I say is from experience and conversations between me and my friends (we also studied a bit together before exams).
    Whereas you are talking out of blind faith in your university.
    Of course you are told of the clinical implications. Whats the point in doing the carpal tunnel and not being told about Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, or doing autonomic of the head and not being told about Horners.
    Like i said the only thing about Newcastle (and every non oxbridge uni!) is that you start clinicals in 3rd year (unless you intercalate like a friend is at sheffield) and so during that 3rd year you seem so much further advanced than us. Difference is that alot of the stuff you'll be learning on clinicals we'll already have covered in 2nd year
    It really is swings and roundabouts, I wish you'd lift your head out of the newcastle sand and see that.
    O and FYI Edinburgh is reckoned on being the all round best medical school. The city is awesome too (yet if its believable its even colder than Newcastle. Least they don't drink Newkey Brown)

J

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.