The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

simsface

She didn't ask you how much she worked or if she was spoiled. Totally pointless, irrelevant answer.

OP, why are you still working there if you hate it and don't need the job? Quit if it'll make you happier. I hate my Saturday job, but I like the money too much to quit. Your personal happiness should come first, though.
Reply 21
BabyGirl92
I'm not spoiled at all. If I was to quit my job my parents would give me money if I needed clothes, or shoes and stuff like that. They wouldn't just throw money at me. They have rent and bills to pay too!

I know I don't work much but it still takes its toll on me. Sometimes it comes to the point that I feel like phoning up and quitting on the morning Im meant to go in to work!

It's only a saturday job and it's not like its serious. Im under 18 and I don't need a job, so many people my age dont have one. And yeah maybe I'll work with loads of different age groups in my life but that will be with my chosen career so the likelihood is that I will enjoy it. But when I've got other things to worry about such as exams and wanting to spend time with my friends is it necessary to be working in a job that I really don't enjoy?

news flash =

You are young, and should have a few hardships so you are prepared for the reality of adulthood :smile:
'cause even if you are in a career you enjoy - you will have times where you feel like quitting.
Reply 22
truthandtragedy
She didn't ask you how much she worked or if she was spoiled. Totally pointless, irrelevant answer.

OP asked the question 'Should i quit my saturday job'

My answer 'No' and listing the reasons why :smile:

You may not agree with what I said, but dumping it as 'pointless' is incorrect
opinions are opinions :smile:
saturday job taking over your life???? have a reality check woman
simsface
OP asked the question 'Should i quit my saturday job'

My answer 'No' and listing the reasons why :smile:

You may not agree with what I said, but dumping it as 'pointless' is incorrect
opinions are opinions :smile:

You could have did it in a less patronising way. You don't know much about the OP, so to brand her as 'spoiled' seems pointless. Opinions are opinions and what not. :rolleyes:
Reply 25
truthandtragedy
You could have did it in a less patronising way. You don't know much about the OP, so to brand her as 'spoiled' seems pointless. Opinions are opinions and what not. :rolleyes:

Indeed

I do feel that if OP feels that having a small job is too much to handle they should think about how much they will gain from the experience.

And yes, imo, a young adult who cannot cope with a little bit of work may be "a little spoiled"

:rolleyes:
BabyGirl92
Basically, I work in a shop where there is about 7 members of staff and I'm the youngest (17 nearly 18). I've been working there for two months now doing every saturday and in December I did every weekend and everyday leading up to Christmas. Over Christmas it was ok because it was constantly a rush and also there was temps my own age working there which was really good. However I really haven't been enjoying it recently. I feel like they all treat me like a child, and take advantage of me. I feel like they've only shown be the basics (like the till) and they never tell me anything: like what stock they haven't got, this is in the sale so you have to put the price in yourself instead of scanning it, and I'm always doing things wrong and embarrassing myself in front of customers.
As well, I feel like its taking over my life. I work all day on a Saturday so I can't go out on Friday night, or Saturday with my friends. I'm so tired when I get home from work. I can never pop into town on the weekend. I hardly ever get to see my friends or my family!
I can cope without the money because get £10 a week EMA which isn't a lot but I don't spend a lot anyway. And if I need things my mum can buy them for me. I can also reapply for my old job which is from Easter holidays onwards, and its better because loads of people my age work there.
I'm just really not enjoying it and feel like an outcast there... I dont fit in at all. I know it's only been just over two months but I seriously dont want to go to work on a saturday, Im wishing the weekend away all the time! I dont know what I should do :s-smilie:

you say you could get by on £10/week...but that isn't much at all.....if you don't like it I would find somewhere else before quiting as Jobs are fairly hard to come by atm....get interviewed, if you get said job then hand in your notice :smile: and 6 Hours, which is really 5.5 isn't that bad. I do the same every sunday, yes I am tired when I get home...but I'm still up at 6:30am Every morning in time to leave at 07:20 to make my way to college.

also try working this shift pattern....I did so for a week in the xmas holidays and it nearly killed me xD:

W/c 27th Dec '09
sun 10.30-4.30
mon 10.30-4.30
tues 10-5
weds 10-5
thurs 10-5
fri <off>
sat 10-5
sun 10.30-4.30

but OP when you get fed up try and think of other things and think of the money that your earning that you can spend on whatever you like :biggrin:
Reply 27
At the moment, I would think about just getting on with it until you are 100% certain you have something to go back to in the Spring. On top of that, as someone else has put in a less leniant light, it is giving you good life experience as your never going to be able to work with everyone that you like all the time. Think of the money (and kudos for not sponging on the EMA and using that as an excuse to not get a job in the first place).

One thing I might suggest is try forcing yourself into the routine a bit more. Ask what's going on rather than waiting to be told and they're more likely to start including you.
The-Wi$e-One

also try working this shift pattern....I did so for a week in the xmas holidays and it nearly killed me xD:
W/c 27th Dec '09
sun 10.30-4.30
mon 10.30-4.30
tues 10-5
weds 10-5
thurs 10-5
fri <off>
sat 10-5
sun 10.30-4.30

imo, the OP does seem to e coming of spoilt in the way they sy that if they want anything their parents can buy it for them. And if they are having so much trouble working 6 hours a week on one day they really don't seem cut out to work hard later on in life.

Examples of what I was working over the summer and over Xmas now:
mon: 9-5
tues: 11-7
weds: 11-7
thurs: 11-7
Fri: off
sat: 9-5
sun: 9-6

and I still managed to be organised with friends and uni work etc
Reply 29
TheKingLivesOn
imo, the OP does seem to e coming of spoilt in the way they sy that if they want anything their parents can buy it for them. And if they are having so much trouble working 6 hours a week on one day they really don't seem cut out to work hard later on in life.

Examples of what I was working over the summer and over Xmas now:
mon: 9-5
tues: 11-7
weds: 11-7
thurs: 11-7
Fri: off
sat: 9-5
sun: 9-6

and I still managed to be organised with friends and uni work etc

I didnt say that they will buy me anything I want! If I needed something for example jeans or a pair of shoes because my old ones were broken or something then they'd buy them for me like they buy stuff for my sister. They wouldnt just throw money at me if I only 'wanted' something.

And also I don't just work Saturday.
Im in school all week, spend my evenings doing coursework and revising and do other things like the Duke of Edinburgh Award and need time to do voluntary work for it at some point, and I cant do that on weekdays and nowhere is open on a sunday...
BabyGirl92
I didnt say that they will buy me anything I want! If I needed something for example jeans or a pair of shoes because my old ones were broken or something then they'd buy them for me like they buy stuff for my sister. They wouldnt just throw money at me if I only 'wanted' something.

And also I don't just work Saturday.
Im in school all week, spend my evenings doing coursework and revising and do other things like the Duke of Edinburgh Award and need time to do voluntary work for it at some point, and I cant do that on weekdays and nowhere is open on a sunday...

while I also manage to have uni durin the week, maths which has one of the heavier workloads with lectures and work/ revision..whilst doing 15 hours over the weekend... And places must be open on a Sunday for others to work then. From your complaining it simply sounds that you are unwilling to grow up and venture into the adult world.
BabyGirl92
Basically, I work in a shop where there is about 7 members of staff and I'm the youngest (17 nearly 18). I've been working there for two months now doing every saturday and in December I did every weekend and everyday leading up to Christmas. Over Christmas it was ok because it was constantly a rush and also there was temps my own age working there which was really good. However I really haven't been enjoying it recently. I feel like they all treat me like a child, and take advantage of me. I feel like they've only shown be the basics (like the till) and they never tell me anything: like what stock they haven't got, this is in the sale so you have to put the price in yourself instead of scanning it, and I'm always doing things wrong and embarrassing myself in front of customers.
As well, I feel like its taking over my life. I work all day on a Saturday so I can't go out on Friday night, or Saturday with my friends. I'm so tired when I get home from work. I can never pop into town on the weekend. I hardly ever get to see my friends or my family!
I can cope without the money because get £10 a week EMA which isn't a lot but I don't spend a lot anyway. And if I need things my mum can buy them for me. I can also reapply for my old job which is from Easter holidays onwards, and its better because loads of people my age work there.
I'm just really not enjoying it and feel like an outcast there... I dont fit in at all. I know it's only been just over two months but I seriously dont want to go to work on a saturday, Im wishing the weekend away all the time! I dont know what I should do :s-smilie:

What about Sunday?
Reply 32
If it's really bugging you apply for another job, but don't quit until you have another.
Reply 33
I know from experience it's horrible working somewhere you hate; but one thing you might consider is that there could be ways to make it better. If you feel you're not being told about things you need to know, I'd bring this up with you manager. You could also tell her you're keen to undertake further training now that you are more familiar with the job. This will show enthusiasm, meaning you could get a better reference when you leave, and could also make the job more interesting for you.

As for doing things wrong in front of customers, two months of only working weekends isn't very long to get good at a job; you will definitely get better the longer you stay, and this won't become an issue.

It's up to you in the end, but bear in mind that there is no guarantee you will get the other job in March, and there are very few jobs around generally at the moment. Also, if you leave so soon, you probably won't be able to get a reference from this place. I'd try and stick it out a bit longer if you can, and have a word with the manager about any issues you have (I know this can be hard, but they will respect you for it). Good luck, whatever you decide :smile:
Reply 34
BabyGirl92
I'm not spoiled at all. If I was to quit my job my parents would give me money if I needed clothes, or shoes and stuff like that. They wouldn't just throw money at me. They have rent and bills to pay too!

I know I don't work much but it still takes its toll on me. Sometimes it comes to the point that I feel like phoning up and quitting on the morning Im meant to go in to work!

It's only a saturday job and it's not like its serious. Im under 18 and I don't need a job, so many people my age dont have one. And yeah maybe I'll work with loads of different age groups in my life but that will be with my chosen career so the likelihood is that I will enjoy it. But when I've got other things to worry about such as exams and wanting to spend time with my friends is it necessary to be working in a job that I really don't enjoy?

Im in the same kind of positon been working i a place i hate for alomst a eyar and now its getting out of order just texted my namger at half 9 to say i cant come in 2mw becuae i got food posiniong and she says should have told me before its to late now i was like i only jsut found out and sh says we will talk when you get back. I eman how is it my fault i got food posining its just stupid and shes jsut being slefish i just feel like i should quit becuase i was going to quit at the end of the school year. I'm really considering to quit
Reply 35
Welcome to the real world... well, one-seventh of it anyway.
I know how you feel!! I just started working in a corner shop and I hate it! It's so boring standing behind a till for hours on end. I keep messing things up because we have a lottery machine, bills can be paid there and I have to enter a code if people buy alcohol because I'm 17 but 18 next week. I work Saturdays and I miss having a life. I don't get to see my best friend because I have to work it sucks! I can't ask for a different shift because no one will do the Saturday shift. And when I turn 18 they want to leave me on my own there and I'm so scared! What if I mess something up and no one is around to help me?! I want my life back, this job literally makes me cry
I work on Saturdays 10-4 its quite good but I have no breaks what so ever and I'm washing up , taking food out, making drinks all day and its very tireing .
As I'm 15 I get paid a lot leas than the others I work with but j feel as though I'm doing more work :/ any way I have been there for 7 months and I'm going to tell them that I'm quiting after Christmas so I can revise for my exams which is true , then in July when I'm 16 I'm going to apply for jobs at clothing stores like topshop newlook primary ect as I feel there less effort and similar pay:smile:
Closed this thread as it's very old :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending