Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK, just to let you all know, that a lot of academic institutions now have special readers, that detect when somebody is using 'pre-made' coursework - and it works.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you mean by readers. In addition to all the search engines, where you can just type in a couple of lines to check for plagerism, there are several commercial tools (Glatt, Plagiarism.org, WordCHECK) which some places may use.

There is also some big academic system whos name i forget where all students courseworks are entered into a database and checked against all others in there - so yeah you should watch out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by creativesurgeon)
    OK, just to let you all know, that a lot of academic institutions now have special readers, that detect when somebody is using 'pre-made' coursework - and it works.

what is the point in cheating by using someelses work as by random chance the teacher has already seen the famous piece of notes you hase taken.

ReputationRep:
    I personaly hate cheaters so much. However rest assuered they get found out when they get a job and are hopeless! especialy in the sciences.

To me I want to pass my degree because of my knowledge and attitude and because I had the money to pay somebody to my work or used a search engine to find pre made essays and reports etc.

ReputationRep:
    I may be a sad person, but I've actually enjoyed most of my courseworks, they gave me an opportunity to research topics of my interest and to state my own thoughts on these topics, which I prefer to having to answer questions asked by other people (i.e. examiners). Although they sometimes are a pain, at the end all elements fall into place and you feel great when you've handed in your final draft and go on to enjoy a well-earned holiday.

ReputationRep:
    well.... i voted no, but that was only cos i never got caught

i did do a total rip from some essay site, and handed it in for "what was the role of the wotches in macbeth", but someone told the teacher that SOMEONE had cheated, but didn't name me.

as a result, she thought it was the brainy guy (mike) who always got A's, and scrutinised every other piece of work he ever handed in! thank you essaybank.com, and Miss Tibbs for not twigging!

(if i recall, i got an A for it, and it went towards my final GCSE grade!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by creativesurgeon)
    no i havent

ReputationRep:
    Damn really!! I just did my biology coursework, but its ok i used bits and pieces of different site, 80% my own work, which is ok. Thanks for the thread i'lll make sure that my chemistry is 100% my own work

ReputationRep:
    i did feel pretty nervous about it afterwards, not that you mention it. thank god i didnt get caught, i'd never do it again, not at A-level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El_Borish)
    i did feel pretty nervous about it afterwards, not that you mention it. thank god i didnt get caught, i'd never do it again, not at A-level
    smart move. I think 3 people from my MM105 course failed last semester because the markers simply thought the work was fake. Basing this of course on the difference in styles between their first and second assessment tasks.

ReputationRep:
    i agree with that bookworm said, most of the coursework I did (gcse, as my alev subjects dont require c/w) i enjoyed doing, like english, history, and even maths ones (there was a lot of rivalry in my maths class as to who'd win - in retrospect, yes this is very sad)

and all other pieces of work which didnt go to final mark I either didnt do (RE, dt, pe, etc) or just did the evening before due in...anyone else think that kind of pressure was fun??

net essays are best for research only!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    smart move. I think 3 people from my MM105 course failed last semester because the markers simply thought the work was fake. Basing this of course on the difference in styles between their first and second assessment tasks.
    they based it all on STYLE? thats harsh, man, what if they decided they didnt like theior other style?

tough board!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nero076)
    i agree with that bookworm said, most of the coursework I did (gcse, as my alev subjects dont require c/w) i enjoyed doing, like english, history, and even maths ones (there was a lot of rivalry in my maths class as to who'd win - in retrospect, yes this is very sad)

and all other pieces of work which didnt go to final mark I either didnt do (RE, dt, pe, etc) or just did the evening before due in...anyone else think that kind of pressure was fun??

net essays are best for research only!!!!!
    Yeah, I tried to copy someones work once, but it really does get hard trying to make an argument using someone elses points. Its best just to do it yourself and avoid the hassle of being accused of cheating, and possibly failing your degree.

ReputationRep:
    uh oh, i helped about 5 of my mates do their personal statements and some of the lines are similar to mine.

but ive had ALL of my replies from unis, we've all applied to different ones.

so me or my mates arent in any danger are we?

ReputationRep:
    i would forget all about any hopes you had of going to university, no way are they going to let you in.

might be best if you pop down the job centre tommorrow morning, eh?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2003
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.