Will my blocked phone work abroad?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Belkin
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
My uncle had an LG cookie but lost it, then had it replaced from insurance, but has now found it again. He's given the old blocked one to me. The phone was on Orange but now the screen reads something like invalid sim or something. Presumably blocked. Would this phone work in Spain?
plasticpetal
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Presumably you're thinking of using a Spanish sim card?? If this is what you mean then no, it won't work. Very few UK phones that you buy directly from the network will allow you to put in a foreign sim. In Spain there are loads of small shops where they will unblock your phone for a small fee so that you can use any sim anywhere in the world. You can find these shops in all the big cities. Hope this helps!
RightSaidJames
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If it's been blocked in the UK on Orange, it won't work in the rest of Western Europe, because all the telecom companies have a shared list of blocked phones.
RightSaidJames
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by plasticpetal)
Presumably you're thinking of using a Spanish sim card?? If this is what you mean then no, it won't work. Very few UK phones that you buy directly from the network will allow you to put in a foreign sim. In Spain there are loads of small shops where they will unblock your phone for a small fee so that you can use any sim anywhere in the world. You can find these shops in all the big cities. Hope this helps!
That's unlock, not unblock. In either case, it won't work, because the phone's IMEI has been put on a European block list meaning that no SIM card will work in it.
ChrisBan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by plasticpetal)
Even if they did let you put in a foreign sim, mobile phone operators can now send a code to the phone that disables the phone as well. This stops a thief from being able to use the phone on any network:

http://www.gsmworld.com/our-work/pro...i_database.htm
DarkWhite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The IMEI number of the phone will be on a universal database, not just for Europe, but anywhere you try and use GSM technologies or hardware supporting GSM (everywhere, in simple terms).

The IMEI number is essentially a unique number specific to the phone, not the SIM card installed in the phone. You can try whatever you want with it, but unless you spoof/change the IMEI number (this is actually possible for many phones, I might add, abeit it's not easy to do yourself or cheap to get it done for you), when your phone communicates with a network mast, repeater etc, it will go, "Ooo look at my phone's IMEI number!" and the mast will say, "Go away. You can use me for emergency calls." Depending on your phone, you might not even be able to make emergency calls!

So nope, it won't work. I'm guessing you have another phone that you can use though...
MaceyThe
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by DarkWhite)
The IMEI number of the phone will be on a universal database, not just for Europe, but anywhere you try and use GSM technologies or hardware supporting GSM (everywhere, in simple terms).
Since when???? Universal?! I know they were talking about making it Europe wide block, has it happened then?

Within the last year I've taken several blocked phones (one of which was an LG Shine,) from the UK to Europe, and sold them since they've worked fine there.

Loads of blocked phones end up in India, as they work fine over there. Or they did last time I checked.....

OP, take it and try it. Take your phone to a phone shop over there and they might have a sim that can work in it.

If not, flog it for parts. e.g. the screen alone fetches around £30 for LG's.

Edit: looks like even India is tightening up on this stuff, because of security, so perhaps it won't work!: http://cellphone.appmobilize.com/mob...-Work-In-India
CurlyBen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

The IMEI number is essentially a unique number specific to the phone, not the SIM card installed in the phone. You can try whatever you want with it, but unless you spoof/change the IMEI number (this is actually possible for many phones, I might add, abeit it's not easy to do yourself or cheap to get it done for you), when your phone communicates with a network mast, repeater etc, it will go, "Ooo look at my phone's IMEI number!" and the mast will say, "Go away. You can use me for emergency calls." Depending on your phone, you might not even be able to make emergency calls!

So nope, it won't work. I'm guessing you have another phone that you can use though...
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to do so though.
DarkWhite
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by MaceyThe)
Since when???? Universal?! I know they were talking about making it Europe wide block, has it happened then?

Within the last year I've taken several blocked phones (one of which was an LG Shine,) from the UK to Europe, and sold them since they've worked fine there.

Loads of blocked phones end up in India, as they work fine over there. Or they did last time I checked.....

OP, take it and try it. Take your phone to a phone shop over there and they might have a sim that can work in it.

If not, flog it for parts. e.g. the screen alone fetches around £30 for LG's.

Edit: looks like even India is tightening up on this stuff, because of security, so perhaps it won't work!: http://cellphone.appmobilize.com/mob...-Work-In-India
Well, alright, it doesn't work absolutely everywhere. The only reason is the slow uptake on the use of the blacklist database though. As far as I'm aware, access to it isn't restricted by country or network, as there's little, if any reason to do so, but you can't force people to use it I guess lol.

See http://www.gsmworld.com/our-work/pro...i_database.htm ; I think it was posted above me somewhere. About halfway down the page you should find information on how the blacklisting feature of the database system works. If you've found that blacklisted phones work abroad, then chances are, the EIR in that area hasn't been updating the local blacklist, and perhaps not sending its local blacklist to the IMEI database.

But yes, if you don't want the phone, sell the rest of it for parts. The only bit people won't want is the memory chip with the IMEI number of the phone hard-coded into it, as it's possibly a PROM chip, meaning you can't reprogram it to change the number. These things are always worked around, mind. Keypads and screens usually sell well
DarkWhite
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by CurlyBen)
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to do so though.
Hmm pretty sure? Under which laws? As far as I'm aware, changing the IMEI number probably isn't illegal in itself (after all, you bought the phone). Attempting to connect to a mobile network after doing so, I couldn't tell you, but uhh hey-ho :p:
CurlyBen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hmm pretty sure? Under which laws? As far as I'm aware, changing the IMEI number probably isn't illegal in itself (after all, you bought the phone). Attempting to connect to a mobile network after doing so, I couldn't tell you, but uhh hey-ho :p:
The Mobile Phones (Reprogramming) Act apparently. It's illegal to alter the device identity or posses equipment to do so unless you are the manufacturer or have written permission from the manufacturer to do so.
Nothos
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Actually, changing the IMEI number is quite illegal.
Kabirul007
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have taken 3 iPhones to my 2nd home Bangladesh all 3 iPhones worked but with thAt phone I could not receive any calls from uk but I can and did call uk using that blacklisted iPhone 3
That was in February 2013
Surgeon by 2025
Report 5 years ago
Hi!

It seems to me that your phone will only operate with products from a specific broadband provider. I'm assuming that the only plausible way to get around this issue and get your phone working asap would be to buy an Orange SIM card at your nearest phone store (preferably before leaving for Spain as you cannot exactly tell how things will pan out once you're there and what technical issues might arise along the way—experience talking right here, so take my word for it). It's wiser to be cautious and careful than hasty, even more so when heading abroad. Alternatively, you may also want to get your phone "unlocked" so that it can be used with any SIM card. I hope this helps, somehow!

Best wishes, pal.
Surgeon by 2025
Report 5 years ago
That awkward moment when you resurrect an old thread... My deepest apologies!
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Digitalt0r)
How many times have you tried this? Just wondering, seems like you’ve got good intel on this!
Threads over a DECADE old.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.32%
Uncertainty around my education (65)
11.52%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.7%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.3%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (32)
5.67%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (28)
4.96%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (60)
10.64%
Financial worries (35)
6.21%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (22)
3.9%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.03%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.66%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (56)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (46)
8.16%

Watched Threads