What can you do with a Certificate of Higher Education? Watch

This discussion is closed.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Is it actually worth anything in terms of looking for a job, or is it basically as useless as the paper it's written on?

I'm referring to a level 4 certificate here. If you consider that A levels are level 3, Intermediate diplomas are level 5, and for example BA Hons are level 6.

So the level just above A level basically.

Would employers be even remotely bothered about CertHE or would they consider it to be no better than an A level?
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
?
anyone?
Subcutaneous
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It shows you've taken on extra study, initative to improve your qualifications- however at the end of the day it depends what you want to go into doesn't it!
HumorousGent.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Wipe your arse.
Aack
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You can do all the things you could with a regular piece of paper, and more.
Annie72
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I guess it depends what the certHe is for, ie history, maths, etc.
tigermoth99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't be dismayed by the fact that it is only a certificate, not a degree. A qualification is still a qualification and should still demonstrate to employers the skills you've developed at uni.
.ACS.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's as pointless as the paper it's written on.

Yes, it's a qualification, and yes it's one level above A-Levels, but it's not a degree, and if anything, shows you couldn't cope with a degree (if you got it because you decided to drop out after your first year) so is probably worse than just having A-Levels.

No job requires a CertHE. They're all aimed at school leavers (those with A-Levels) or graduates (those with BA/BSc/etc.).
Subcutaneous
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by .ACS.)
It's as pointless as the paper it's written on.

Yes, it's a qualification, and yes it's one level above A-Levels, but it's not a degree, and if anything, shows you couldn't cope with a degree (if you got it because you decided to drop out after your first year) so is probably worse than just having A-Levels.

No job requires a CertHE. They're all aimed at school leavers (those with A-Levels) or graduates (those with BA/BSc/etc.).

load of bull
LondonDreamer
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What's a CertHE? I've never of those before. Are they normally done at universities?
.ACS.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by LondonDreamer)
What's a CertHE? I've never of those before. Are they normally done at universities?
If you drop out after the first year but passed, you're eligible to be awarded a CertHE. Basically it's equivalent to the first year of university study.
Confuzed Soul
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by HumorousGent.)
Wipe your arse.
Hilarious.
Installation
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Turn tricks?
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
?
so not much value to the CertHE then, okay thanks.
LondonDreamer
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by .ACS.)
If you drop out after the first year but passed, you're eligible to be awarded a CertHE. Basically it's equivalent to the first year of university study.
Are there any other circumstances under which you'd get one?
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
?
Honestly I don't know, I don't think so.
Xenopus
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's basically a document which proves that you've failed your degree.
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xenopus)
It's basically a document which proves that you've failed your degree.
umm no, it doesn't mean you 'failed' your degree. How can you fail something you never took? :rolleyes:
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
?
(Original post by .ACS.)
Yes, it's a qualification, and yes it's one level above A-Levels, but it's not a degree, and if anything, shows you couldn't cope with a degree (if you got it because you decided to drop out after your first year) so is probably worse than just having A-Levels..
Having a valid reason for dropping out is slightly different from simply 'not being able to cope with a degree'.
Absinth
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you wanted to study for a science degree and didn't have science A levels (an Access course):

http://www.bbk.ac.uk/study/ce/access.../UEHSCILS.html
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (38)
26.03%
No (108)
73.97%

Watched Threads