Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would suggest:
- Accountancy
- Business Studies
- Economics
- Mathematics/Statistics
- Financial Studies*

*Some colleges don't offer this subject so you have to ask. If they do not offer it, ask if they would be willing to pay for you to do it on your own through the IFS school of finance.
Reply 2
Ok so basically what I was thinking of choosing
have you ever done economics?
I'm not sure what it's realy about
You dont need to do ALevels Accounts and if you're thinking of going to LSE they consider it a soft subject. I think you should defo do Maths, Economics is a strong subject. Accounts would be a good AS choice then drop it at A2.
Reply 4
Accoutnacy at AS
for A2, Economics, Maths, a social science, and possibly Business studies or you can go on to do Further maths
Reply 5
Quick question: Im doing A2 Biology and Accounting and AS Business studies and Maths (i too am thinking of becoming an accountant. Would this be ok to get into some of the top universities for accounting or should i pick up AS economics?

Please quote me in reply and thanks!

For the OP: I really suggest doing accountancy (even if its at AS as it will help you make a final decision)!
Maths is obviously good, I didn't know you could do accountancy as an A-level (sounds like a doss tbh), maybe consider doing a science instead of psychology?
Reply 7
Perfect A levels to do accountancy.
Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Economics
Accountancy. ( Drop this after)

Do a Math or Accountancy Degree. Anything Numeric.
Reply 8
Teaddict
I would suggest:
- Accountancy
- Business Studies
- Economics
- Mathematics/Statistics
- Financial Studies*

*Some colleges don't offer this subject so you have to ask. If they do not offer it, ask if they would be willing to pay for you to do it on your own through the IFS school of finance.

Awful advice. Doing those in combination would be silly. I would recommend (if aiming for top unis) Maths, Further Maths, economics then anything else you want (physics/chem would be preferable).
i am doing maths economics history german and AS further maths and i am hoping to study accounting and finance at either lse/warwick and have been told my a levels are very good. (i am planning on dropping german)
Hapiness-
I would like to have a career in accountancy
The subjects for As level I am thinking of choosing are:
- Maths
- Accounting
- Psychology
- Possibly Business studies or Economics

Would these subjects be alright to get into university to do an accounting and finance degree afterwards?
Please help :smile:

Most of the ones u've suggested are 'soft subjects' and a little one dimensional. I would choose from:
Maths (compulsory)
Chemistry/Physics
Economics
Essay based subject (psychology would be fine)
A language

Don't go for BS/Accounts- universities would prefer a much more traditional combination.
Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Physics
Reply 12
Definitely do maths and further maths. From there I'd advise doing a science and a language or essay subject. If you want to do a business studies/accountancy type of A-level then go for Economics over anything else.
yes if you cant do full further maths a level(do as further maths, i wish i had done full FM now) but AS Further maths will still be very helpfull and look good on any application
Reply 14
But you all keep refering to accounting as "a soft subject" why? It is totally relevent to what I want to do at university surely it will look good.

Also what is meant by "top universities" is that just Oxbridge or would no good unis like accounting A level
Reply 15
Small123
Awful advice. Doing those in combination would be silly. I would recommend (if aiming for top unis) Maths, Further Maths, economics then anything else you want (physics/chem would be preferable).

IT is not always about how "powerful" they are. It is also about enjoying the subjects. I took that into account in my suggestions.

Mathematics is a dull and dreary subject. Doing two mathematics (maths and further maths as some have said) would be murder.
Hapiness-
But you all keep refering to accounting as "a soft subject" why? It is totally relevent to what I want to do at university surely it will look good.

Also what is meant by "top universities" is that just Oxbridge or would no good unis like accounting A level

Top unis are basically those top 10 in their subjects- LSE is probably the best for accountancy. Accounting for A level is a soft subject cos it is less academic and therefore easier- universities won't see it as relevent.
Reply 17
Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Economics

Perfecto!
Reply 18
Teaddict
IT is not always about how "powerful" they are. It is also about enjoying the subjects. I took that into account in my suggestions.

Mathematics is a dull and dreary subject. Doing two mathematics (maths and further maths as some have said) would be murder.

No unis like Business studies and Economics together due to the huge overlap. By adding that to accounting and financial studies isn't showing much specific ability. Maths is a key component in accounting? Thus if the OP disliked Maths I doubt they would prefer a career in accounting.
Reply 19
I do like maths but I think doing further maths as well would be too much.
So from what you have suggested I think I will do
-Maths
-Economics
-Psychology
-Accounting
The college I am going to says you should drop one subject after 1st year so that you do 3 A levels
So I guess I would drop Accounting :s-smilie:
Does this sound right

Latest