A Level choices to become an accountant Watch

boodeny
Badges: 7
Report 9 years ago
From experience:

Take

Maths,
Science(bilogy is supposdely easiest, but physics is interesting)
Economics (much more respected than business studies)
and something you enjoy ( dont do business,accounting sociology or any of the new age subjects as universities especially LSE DO NOT liek them"

Also try and get at least 4 weeks work experience at some sort of financial instituation
and finally apply for one of the Big4's Experiecne days, their really usefull and it loosk awesome on your Personal Statement
Hapiness-
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by boodeny)
From experience:

Take

Maths,
Science(bilogy is supposdely easiest, but physics is interesting)
Economics (much more respected than business studies)
and something you enjoy ( dont do business,accounting sociology or any of the new age subjects as universities especially LSE DO NOT liek them"

Also try and get at least 4 weeks work experience at some sort of financial instituation
and finally apply for one of the Big4's Experiecne days, their really usefull and it loosk awesome on your Personal Statement
Looking at the LSE website it looks wayy too competitive. They turn down thousands of people each year lol
I'm sure other universities won't turn me down just because I did accounting alongside other traditional subjects - maths,economics
I guess time will tell :O
Teaddict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Small123)
No unis like Business studies and Economics together due to the huge overlap. By adding that to accounting and financial studies isn't showing much specific ability. Maths is a key component in accounting? Thus if the OP disliked Maths I doubt they would prefer a career in accounting.
Maths is not a key part in accounting.
I took accounting (and sucked at it for the record) and the first thing we were told is "those who think this is like maths and want it to be like maths should leave now".
Small123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Teaddict)
Maths is not a key part in accounting.
I took accounting (and sucked at it for the record) and the first thing we were told is "those who think this is like maths and want it to be like maths should leave now".
I meant in terms of university not the A Level.
intellectual1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Maths and Statistics is considered very useful, Further Maths is an advantage. Economics is highly desirable, Accounting A-Level will allow you to begin the Associate Accounting Technician qualification with exemption from the Foundation paper, proceeding directy to the Intermediate stage. Physics, Chemistry, Biology, History and Languages are considered very useful too. Most Accounting firms like to see traditional subjects, but they don't mind if you done Accounting as your 4th or 5th A-Level. Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics, Economics, Accounting are quite suitable!
Hapiness-
Rep:
?
(Original post by intellectual1)
Maths and Statistics is considered very useful, Further Maths is an advantage. Economics is highly desirable, Accounting A-Level will allow you to begin the Associate Accounting Technician qualification with exemption from the Foundation paper, proceeding directy to the Intermediate stage. Physics, Chemistry, Biology, History and Languages are considered very useful too. Most Accounting firms like to see traditional subjects, but they don't mind if you done Accounting as your 4th or 5th A-Level. Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics, Economics, Accounting are quite suitable!
Wow, I thought you were only meant to do 3 A levels surely 5 is a bit excessive!

Maths,Economics,Accounting,Psych ology(AS)
Sounds like I'm sorted - should get into accounting at uni with these if i do well. (Not like I want to go to Cambridge or anything)
intellectual1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Hapiness-)
Wow, I thought you were only meant to do 3 A levels surely 5 is a bit excessive!

Maths,Economics,Accounting,Psych ology(AS)
Sounds like I'm sorted - should get into accounting at uni with these if i do well. (Not like I want to go to Cambridge or anything)
It depends on the Accounting firm you go for, the Big 4 firms, PWC, Deloitte, KPMG and EY have graduate programmes, but also have AAT-ACA or ACCA from A-Level. Alot of other firms, of the Top 50 Accountants in London, most expect 3 A-Levels with 1 AS-Level. Mathematics, Economics, Accounting and Statistics were the A-Levels they valued the most. However a Science such as Physics or Chemistry is very advantageous or History perhaps even a language which is'nt your mother tongue spoken.

The AAT can be completed in 1 year, if you have Accounting A-Level. You proceed to the Intermediate papers, and then the Advanced stage. It gains you UCAS points too, so it's a very good qualification. Progression to ACA, ACCA, CIMA, CIPFA is possible and you can complete it within 2 years. Only in the Accounting profession can you enter with A-Levels and qualify, the same can not be said of Medicine or Law (it's takes almost a decade with ILEX etc).

Mathematics, Economics, Accounting and AS Chemistry or Physics or anything else traditional and respected would set you on your path to becoming a ACA or ACCA or even CIMA
LondonDreamer
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm another one who'd stick to traditional subjects and think the following would probably be the most ideal combination:

Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Physics

But obviously, vary it according to your own strengths and interests (e.g. if there's another seemingly unrelated subject you're good and would love to take, go for it).
wer343lit
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If I wanted to do accounting, I'd choose Maths, Further Maths, Economics, and Physics I think.

EDIT: Ah, the person above agrees. :p:
andy12691
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
- Maths
- Economics
- Further Maths/Physics/Chemistry/Biology
- Psychology/English Lit/a language
I'd suggest doing Accounting as a 5th subject if you really want to do it and then drop it in the second year. I didn't even know we could do Accounting at A levels tbh
Ice_Queen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Keep a wide range of subjects, as this shows you're a good all rounder; as it's not as 'prescribed' as medicine (if you'll forgive the pun), you have a lot more leeway. The subjects you like best are the ones you'll do well in.

I would suggest Economics and/or History, maybe Maths if you are good at it/enjoy it (some universities require it). I also did a language.

Don't bother with Business Studies or Accounting; both are seen as 'soft subjects' (I did Business).

EDIT: I also have a friend who did Accounting A-level; there is no need for it, it probably won't help you that much, and sometimes you'll learn things differently, especially as new standards come into play. Example: I learnt about balance sheets and profit and loss accounts, not Statement of Financial Positions and Statements of Comprehensive Income.
Hapiness-
Rep:
?
Ok so I am going to choose
Maths,Economics, Psychology or Biology and accounting(AS Level)
I hope these will give me a good chance of going to uni to study a relevant degree.
Dont know whether to become an accountant,actuary or economist
Oooo choices choices :L
andy12691
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I hope these will give me a good chance of going to uni to study a relevant degree.
It's pretty the same as what I suggested :yep:
Hapiness-
Rep:
?
(Original post by andy12691)
It's pretty the same as what I suggested :yep:
Aha Yepp
In2deep
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would like to have a career in accountancy
The subjects for As level I am thinking of choosing are:
- Maths
- Accounting
- Psychology
- Possibly Business studies or Economics

Would these subjects be alright to get into university to do an accounting and finance degree afterwards?
Please help
Mathematics
Accounting
Economics
Business Studies
Ajes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You know, i'm going to go and post a subject that no one else has even mentioned in this thread (if you have, i sincerely apologize but im too lazy to scroll through all the posts ) :

Law.

When you think about it, law mixed with accounting can be very helpful. I'd also recommend Math and Economics/Business studies.
wer343lit
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Further Maths is a good choice for economics/accountancy etc. You could then do something else to AS Level, as accountancy is a bit of a soft option.

(Haven't really read your other posts so maybe you've already explained that you don't want to do further maths)
Tallon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
maths
further maths
economics

busienss studies/accountacy/law/financial studies are okay but not as great as the 3 above for finance careers.
Hapiness-
Rep:
?
Thanks for all this advice guys
Now I'm scared that I'm closing too many doors
I might end up hateing accounting
Suppose if i chose
Maths
Economics
Accounting
Psychology
I would have psychology to fall back on or maybe economics - not sure what careers that involves
adnany34
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
I want to become a charted accountant and are currently in choice of my A levels, I would like to get into Leeds uni are the A levels below a good choice.

I have decided to do:
  • It
  • Business Studies
  • Economics
  • Accountancy (I can only take accountancy at AS)

I have chose It as I am doing an It diploma level 2 currently as part of school my predicted grades are b's.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (201)
18.75%
Labour (554)
51.68%
Liberal Democrats (144)
13.43%
Green Party (59)
5.5%
Brexit Party (15)
1.4%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.37%
SNP (17)
1.59%
Plaid Cymru (5)
0.47%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (7)
0.65%
SDLP (2)
0.19%
Ulster Unionist (4)