A Level choices to become an accountant Watch

matt5431
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi, I'm currently considering a future career in accounting although I'm uncertain of what a-levels to take. This is where I've gotten to so far...
-Maths
-Physics
-I.T
-Econimics
Will I.T come in use in this career? And please can you give your opinion on these a-level choices...Thanks!
Ree-Shay
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by matt5431)
Hi, I'm currently considering a future career in accounting although I'm uncertain of what a-levels to take. This is where I've gotten to so far...
-Maths
-Physics
-I.T
-Econimics
Will I.T come in use in this career? And please can you give your opinion on these a-level choices...Thanks!
I would swap I.T for accounting - even though it is not compulsory it will give you a head start & let you know whether accounting is for you (well sort of - as A-level accounting is not exactly like the degree/professional exams). I.T. does come into use accounting now involves excel & sage etc. But other than that your other three A-levels are really strong & will open up the doors of very prestigious business schools.
Rascacielos
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Looking at university requirements for LSE (which has to be one of the best Accounting & Finance universities), you need:
"GCSE pass at grade A or above in Mathematics, or A level at grade B or above in Mathematics (or equivalent). No specific subjects are required at A level, but candidates will normally have an level Mathematics (or equivalent). Those candidates who do not have A level Mathematics (or equivalent) should be prepared to develop their mathematical skills and will be provided with support including tailored first year courses in mathematics and statistics."

I imagine that's the same across all universities. You'll also probably need at least a B in GCSE English.

Of course, economics/accounting Alevels will help. Just double check with universities about an 'Accounting' A-level. It sounds like an obvious choice for your degree course, but it might be a bit like A-Level 'Law', where some universities aren't overly happy with it because it gives you the wrong idea of what Accounting at degree level is like.

Also, universities tend to frown upon you doing both economics and business studies. I think because they have very similar content, so if you chose to do both, they'd probably only consider them as 1 A-level in total.

If you're good at languages, then taking at language at A-Level - even AS - will make you stand out. Linguists are relatively rare and combined with something like Accounting & Finance where foreign communication is a necessity, languages are quite desirable.

Good luck!
Delaney
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Maths Physics and Econ look good, they're generally strong, respected subjects with regards to university admissions. For your 4th, unless you genuinely enjoy IT I'd just pick something you enjoy, most offers are for 3 A Levels anyway.
coolstudyperson
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Definately.
I would definately say economics over business studies at A2, and have you considered double maths?
You coukd always do business studies as an AS during your second year.
Linda.Duong
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Hapiness-)
I would like to have a career in accountancy
The subjects for As level I am thinking of choosing are:
- Maths
- Accounting
- Psychology
- Possibly Business studies or Economics

Would these subjects be alright to get into university to do an accounting and finance degree afterwards?
Please help
Heyy, I'm applying for accounting for Uni this year
And for AS I did:
Maths, Accounting, psychology and Economics
And for A2 I dropped psychology

So I reckon those subjects you're thinking about will be fine (Y)
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
- Maths
- Accounting
- Psychology

Would these subjects be alright to get into university to do an accounting and finance degree afterwards?
Please help
This document might help you:

http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/russel...study-choices/
Tateco
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Choose 3/4 from:

Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Economics (or Business Studies but Economics is better) and then any other science/quantitative subjects
carissa
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i would choose: --accounts :eek: -principle of business -information tecnology -mathematics -another office subject like office administration
Dubai Nan Bread
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm looking to do Accounting and Finance at degree level also and my options are:
Maths
Economics
Biology
Chemistry

After doing my AS ideally I wish Id taken Physics instead of Biology but Chem goes with it really well.

Looking at your options you have no choice but to take Maths. ALL Uni's demand Maths. I would also recommend doing either Business or Economics but NOT both. Economics preferably, its has more in common to the Accounting course. Also don't feel pressured to do Accounting just because that's your degree choice its not needed.

If I were you I'd do Maths, Economics at A2, change Accounting to a science and do that at A2 and then drop Psychology to AS. If you get good grades in those (B or above) you should be fine
J_W-x
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Posted in wrong thread lol
laughylolly
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
- Maths
- Accounting
- Psychology

Please help
I've been told by countless firms that you can basically study any degree at university and go into accounting. An accounting degree is the obvious one to do but you could do maths or english or geography or whatever really. They look for a high level of English and Maths and some business/economics knowledge will be very useful but otherwise there isn't really a one size fits all.

Out of the list you have above I would definitely do maths and Economics (economics will be more useful than business studies). Accounting as an A level is seen as a bit of a soft subject but it's up to you and what uni's you want to apply to and for what subject.
TenaciousLee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Teaddict)
I would suggest:
- Accountancy
- Business Studies
- Economics
- Mathematics/Statistics
- Financial Studies*

*Some colleges don't offer this subject so you have to ask. If they do not offer it, ask if they would be willing to pay for you to do it on your own through the IFS school of finance.
Is fianace respected, and how difficult is it? My school run it and I'm thinking of doing it as my 4th AS.
Teaddict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TenaciousLee)
Is fianace respected, and how difficult is it? My school run it and I'm thinking of doing it as my 4th AS.
I don't know if it's respected but I found it easy; I got around 94%. Others in class got around C/B though.
cashstarz77
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i wanna take 3 a-levels but is that a good choice if i want to become an accountant
the a-levels that i want to take is:
- Maths
- Accountancy
- Economics
deano0417
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you are looking to go to a top level uni you are going to be wanting to do hard subjects, for accounting in the future id recommend:-
- Maths
- Economics
- History
- Could be politics or something, but the first 3 are the main ones.

I wouldnt recommend taking Economics with Business or accounting, some hardcore uni's dont like it as they consider them as "clashing".
sifreeman
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I just read that to study Accounting at Uni they would like you to have at least a B in GCSE Maths and English. They would also like you to have 3 A grade A-levels which include subjects such as Maths, Accounting, Sociology, Business, Economics Psychology etc. So yes, all your chosen subjects will be ideal!
cucems
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm planning to do accounting and finance at the UK universities.

My a level subject combination are
Bio, maths, further maths, econs

Are these a good subject combination to get into lse, Warwick, Manchester?

Or should I take a level accounting? For those who got the offers for accounting course at lse, Manchester, Warwick or etc, can u tell me what subject did u take?
lkilrxy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Would it affect you from wanting to an accounting degree if you just pick pyschology, economics accounting and a different subject that isn't mathematics?
nad0810
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
hi there ! my current AS subjects are Maths, ICT & Biology, do you people recommend I pick up a more business related subject, such as economics or business as an AS next year??

Much appreciated!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (80)
53.33%
No (23)
15.33%
I'm not old enough (47)
31.33%

Watched Threads