The Student Room Group

Durham or Newcastle

Hey guys,

I'm currently torn between the two and I could use some advice. I'm currently in my final year studying media, culture + communication at Sunderland and I want to study for an MA.

I don't want to stay at Sunderland on advice from my programme leader and i'm staying at home so that leaves Northumbria, Newcastle and Durham.

I'm looking at doing Sociology or similar. I know that it won't be particularly valuable to employers no matter where i study but i also know perception means a lot. From what I have gathered the courses seem to be pretty much the same but i get the feeling that Durham is perceived to be the 'better' Uni.

On the flipside, the cuts in funding next year will not affect the Russell Group Unis as much. Newcastle is a member but Durham isn't, will this be important?

Basically i just need some different viewpoints to help me decide.

Thanks
Are you looking at taught or research Masters?
Durham is better. If you can get in, go there!
Reply 3
Oops sorry, i'm looking at a taught MA. I should have specified.

ANy info on why Durham is better?
http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php?AC_sub=Sociology&x=46&y=13&sub=57

This, for a start. Durham is 6, Newcastle is 32. For sociology.
But durham generally IS a better uni.
You will have a much better social life etc. if you come to Newcastle in my opinion and if the courses are the same at both Newcastle and Durham then this is surely the swinger if you see what I mean. Hope this is of some help!
Reply 6
Thanks for the link Buster_Bunny. I have looked at all the uni guides but they all seem skewed towards undergrads.

I live just outside of Newcastle so the night life isn't really a big draw as i go out there anyway!

Definitely leaning towards Durham. Anyone aware of the funding/Russell Group issues. Will it make any difference at all?
Have you been to open days at either/both yet?
Which factors are most important to you? Course content, costs, social life, facilities etc etc
Have you looked at the departmental staff profiles to see what their research interests are and which chime with your own interests?
Reply 8
Sean945
Thanks for the link Buster_Bunny. I have looked at all the uni guides but they all seem skewed towards undergrads.

I live just outside of Newcastle so the night life isn't really a big draw as i go out there anyway!

Definitely leaning towards Durham. Anyone aware of the funding/Russell Group issues. Will it make any difference at all?

Their funding schemes for next year are already advertised, so just have a good look at the website. I know there is some funding for humanities MAs, I think 10 bursaries, maybe something similar is also available for sociology? But generally speaking, not much money is around for master students, russel group or no russel group I am afraid.
Sean945
Hey guys,

I'm currently torn between the two and I could use some advice. I'm currently in my final year studying media, culture + communication at Sunderland and I want to study for an MA.

I don't want to stay at Sunderland on advice from my programme leader and i'm staying at home so that leaves Northumbria, Newcastle and Durham.

I'm looking at doing Sociology or similar. I know that it won't be particularly valuable to employers no matter where i study but i also know perception means a lot. From what I have gathered the courses seem to be pretty much the same but i get the feeling that Durham is perceived to be the 'better' Uni.

On the flipside, the cuts in funding next year will not affect the Russell Group Unis as much. Newcastle is a member but Durham isn't, will this be important?

Basically i just need some different viewpoints to help me decide.

Thanks

Basically, I would forget the funding issues, and if I was you, I would presume that I'm not going to get any funding. Instead, make your decision based upon all other factors. MA funding is pretty poor at the moment, and all of the students at Durham who were given funding on my course (all two of them!!) also studied for their undergraduate degree at Durham, and this does seem to make a difference. Both also had a gap year, which meant that when they applied, they already had their degree results in their pockets.
Reply 10
Thanks for the help guys. Just to clear something up, when i mentioned funding i didn't mean bursaries and the like i meant funding for the research departments of the uni itself as they are getting their funding cut next year.

I've been talking to a friend who studied Anthropology at Durham and she loved it. Obviously it would have to be Socio-cultural Anthropology for me but it does look interesting. Will have to look into that, more decisions!!

Latest

Trending

Trending