University Rankings: Important? Watch

cje10
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
With so many people going to University in the 21st century and more and more students gaining higher grades each year, what is the importance of the University that you attend? Traditionally, students gaining higher grades would attend higher ranked institutions than those who didn't do as well, and studied at polytechnics. BUT this is no longer the case. I know people who got A's at A Level but are studying at Universities ranked in the 90's/100's - simply because of the course/personal preference. Is it fair to look down at someone for studying at one of these universities, especially when it IS possible that they achieved higher grades than somebody at a top 10/20 University. What I'm getting at is that reputation and ranking cannot be as important as they used to be. The variety and choice for students is such that nowadays A grade students attend any University and in reality, where you go isn't as important as it might once have been. Anyone agree?
GodspeedGehenna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They rank universities?
cje10
Rep:
?
http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_...rsityguide.php

Yes.
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Wow. I've never even heard of Oxford or Cambridge universities. Are they in the UK?
osiris6607
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's not an actual ranking system.
sleggy 100
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i would think yes it does matter because getting A grades is no real biggie anymore anyway
xSkyFire
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's your degree class at the end of the day, not which univesity you attended that's the big determining factor.
cje10
Rep:
?
(Original post by osiris6607)
It's not an actual ranking system.
What is it then?
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sleggy 100)
i would think yes it does matter because getting A grades is no real biggie anymore anyway
WHAT?! They rank grades too?! Jesus christ.
Natasharox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In my experience, rankings mean pretty much nothing. The first time I applied for uni, I literally went for the top 6. Now I'm at a lower ranked university, and happier than ever.
osiris6607
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by cje10)
What is it then?

It's a guide.

The times
the guardian
the sun
the jerry springer show etc etc.
cje10
Rep:
?
(Original post by osiris6607)
It's a guide.

The times
the guardian
the sun
the jerry springer show etc etc.
It's a ranking - based on research, entry standards etc. which can be used as guide.
Eric Arthur
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's more important than ever, surely? Nowadays just having a degree isn't enough to get you a good job like it once was and the more respected the institution your degree is from the more advantage you have in the job market.

Assuming most other things are roughly the same between candidates, obviously.
osiris6607
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by cje10)
It's a ranking - based on research, entry standards etc. which can be used as guide.

People think differently about different universities.

In ten years time the University of Jersey might be above Oxford and Cambridge. If you happened to go to this non-existent uni then your chances of getting a job will have increased. I don't think it matters what uni you go to, too much.
cje10
Rep:
?
(Original post by Eric Arthur)
It's more important than ever, surely? Nowadays just having a degree isn't enough to get you a good job like it once was and the more respected the institution your degree is from the more advantage you have in the job market.

Assuming most other things are roughly the same between candidates, obviously.
In my opinion, people with this view have little experience of employment after graduation. Employers are more aware than ever of the increasing rise of University students. Surely to gain a 1st from a less "respected" University is more advantageous than a 2:2 from a top 10 one? I think it is more about the individual than their choice of institution to study at?
wer343lit
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by xSkyFire)
It's your degree class at the end of the day, not which univesity you attended that's the big determining factor.
Are you sure?

Surely a 2.1 at Cambridge >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>> 1st from Thames Valley

After all, degree classes are institution-specific
Indieboohoo
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
They rank universities?
Sarcasm :ahee:
CrookedLegs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
oh no, as if you didn't note the sarcasm...unless you were playing at sarcasm aswell, if so, there's a job as a comedian out there for you.
Eric Arthur
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by cje10)
In my opinion, people with this view have little experience of employment after graduation. Employers are more aware than ever of the increasing rise of University students. Surely to gain a 1st from a less "respected" University is more advantageous than a 2:2 from a top 10 one? I think it is more about the individual than their choice of institution to study at?
Yes, hence the last part of my post.
cje10
Rep:
?
(Original post by CrookedLegs)
oh no, as if you didn't note the sarcasm...unless you were playing at sarcasm aswell, if so, there's a job as a comedian out there for you.
Don't worry, I noted the sarcasm
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (190)
12.74%
Excited (123)
8.25%
Worried (279)
18.71%
Terrified (343)
23%
Meh (124)
8.32%
Confused (35)
2.35%