The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by La Esmerelda
Depends how far in you fail your degree. If you've completed 3 years and then failed and have nothing to show for it then that's pretty ****. If you've dropped out early on *with an alternative* (as I mentioned) then its workable.

But if the student has completed three or four years then he or she will have something to show for it (passed credit). Depending on how many credits have been passed (and the degree regulations) this can mean a certificate, diploma, non-honours degree or some other word. So there's still a higher education qualification.

This credit can be transferred elsewhere and the degree can still be completed.
Reply 41
I got absolutely NOTHING. The course was Architecture at Dundee University/Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art. I had worked hard. I passed all five exams, 2 out of 3 projects and was failed OUTRIGHT and was denied a resit. I did everything I could to appeal and got no where. They were utterly cruel, they denied me a living and going to university destroyed my confidence and ruined my life for years and I am still suffering the effects today. I eventually crossed the border into England and repeated the year which cost a small fortune and I got an honours degree. Years after that I got an MSc in Computer Programming. I tell you this to prove that I am not stupid and was NOT a waster and just occasionally university lecturers fail people unfairly. It happens but mainly in courses that are subjective like Architecture, Social Work etc.
You get a bill.
This is a really sad post and I am sure there are students like me who were offered places without good A Levels, who took them at a time when there were no apprenticeships or jobs available and who struggled without money or brains and flunked; only to find themselves in debt and jobless and without a degree to boot. It's not a laughing matter and there must be people who never got over it or who committed suicide. Don't do a degree without good grades, money behind you or a job with prospects to fall back on. It's a lose lose situation.

Latest

Trending

Trending