Turn on thread page Beta

Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) should be abolished ! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pikaboo)
    Not quite, the school pays for my fees from a bursary fund (since the Labour government abolished assisted places...grrr)

Anyway, I think the EMA scheme is helping to promote equal chances within post-16 education between those who are better off and those who aren't, and anything which does that can only be a good thing.
    What are your parents occupations, if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    What are your parents occupations, if you don't mind me asking?
    I live with my mum, and she's unemployed at the moment.
    I've never come across anyone who deliberately seems to waste their EMA or doesn't seem grateful of it - some of my friends from the same school as me find it really useful for school things and couldn't really manage without.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddiedaboss)
    Yes well I do know that these people exist because there are many of them at my college. And I dont know what college you are at but this is a very common issue, and you seem very out of touch. I go to an inner city school as opposed to your private college I expect.
    How can I be out of touch about further education and EMA when I attend a further education institution and meet and talk to people on (or not as the case may be) EMA Monday to Friday every week?!

Your assumption about my "private college" couldn't really be more wrong. It is certainly not a private college and it is actually in a fairly deprived area, yet I can assure you these 'dossers' you are so opposed to do not exist in my college, people attend because they want to and they want to pass their exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albion)
    How can I be out of touch about further education and EMA when I attend a further education institution and meet and talk to people on (or not as the case may be) EMA Monday to Friday every week?!

Your assumption about my "private college" couldn't really be more wrong. It is certainly not a private college and it is actually in a fairly deprived area, yet I can assure you these 'dossers' you are so opposed to do not exist in my college, people attend because they want to and they want to pass their exams.
    LOL.........

AT MOST NORMAL COLLEGES A LOT OF PEOPLE DO ONE CRAPPY GNVQ IN ORDER TO RAKE THE £30 A WEEK.

AND WHAT U MAY NOT HAVE KNOWN, IS THAT EACH TERM U GET A £50 BONUS!! THAT IS £150 EXTRA PER YEAR!!!

AND I GET IT ASWELL! £30 A WEEK + 3 £50 BONUSES PER TERM. AAHHHHHH LIFE IS GOOD!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piggsy_123)
    LOL.........

AT MOST NORMAL COLLEGES A LOT OF PEOPLE DO ONE CRAPPY GNVQ IN ORDER TO RAKE THE £30 A WEEK.

AND WHAT U MAY NOT HAVE KNOWN, IS THAT EACH TERM U GET A £50 BONUS!! THAT IS £150 EXTRA PER YEAR!!!

AND I GET IT ASWELL! £30 A WEEK + 3 £50 BONUSES PER TERM. AAHHHHHH LIFE IS GOOD!
    One of the conditions is that you have to do at least 12 hours of guided study (usually lessons by teachers) a week to get the grant. That's still quite a lot of schooltime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pikaboo)
    One of the conditions is that you have to do at least 12 hours of guided study (usually lessons by teachers) a week to get the grant. That's still quite a lot of schooltime.
    NOT REALLY, I DO 4 MAIN SUBJECTS, THATS 20 LESSONS A WEEK, AND I ALSO DO THE OCCASSIONAL GENERAL STUDIES LESSON DURING THE YEAR.............

WHO CARES....MARVIN GAYE - SEXUAL HEALING.

ReputationRep:
    I did AVCE ICT and AS Business studies at college. I got an AB (double award) for my AVCE and a grade B in my business studies.

I got the highest UCAS points score in my entire college department. That is how bad it was! And most them students were getting EMA. Most of them could not even pass business studies at all. I was only one that took the last exam!

It wasn't down to teaching either because the teaching was quite good especialy on the AVCE. The reason they failed was because the students were just so damn lazy.

ReputationRep:
    After the recent top-up fees go ahead, I wonder what many people now think of EMA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddiedaboss)
    After the recent top-up fees go ahead, I wonder what many people now think of EMA?
    'tis good for me - but i would say that, because i get it.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.