The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

From my experience quite a few people I know who got into oxbridge are are all talk anyway. I know someone who got into oxford with only AABB because he was able to bull**** his way through the interview. I'm bitter because I didn't get a place and I beat him in GCSE's and A levels so I ended up going to warwick instead.
Reply 41
I didn't enquire why I was rejected by I'm pretty sure it was also because I was too shy.
Now, one and a half years later, I know I have developed so much and am much less shy. You've got to see it as a chance to do something else.

Either you can go on a gap year and reapply. In the time untill you'll be interviewed again, you have got to become more outgoing and confident. I only managed that at Uni for various reasons, but I'm sure that you can do so outside of Uni too. The problem being, it sounds like you're on a gap year already?

What I did though, was go to another University that I fell in love with at interview and make the most of that. Seeing as I want to do a MSc or a phD anyhow, I've not given up on Oxbridge yet (although I'm not set on it at all!).

So don't give up untill you've had a chance to consider everything for a few days.
Reply 42
I'm in the same position, I just got rejected, all my teachers were shocked an pretty upset. But at the end of the day, yeah a degree from cambridge would be amazing, and yeh the rejection is really upsetting and that is an absolutly crap reason!! But look at your other choices, UCL - 4th in the WORLD in the rankings, and above oxford!! St.Andrews - amazing, Durham - AMAZING. I don't know about leicester cos it doesnt do my subject. If you get a degree from any of them it's impressive and you can go far, plus you will get a really good education and a very good degree, however at the other uni's you will have more of a "normal" university life, with a broader range of people, a bit more free time, and a lot more freedom! You don't have to ask permission to go away for a day in term time!

Cambridge are very random on who they choose, its all about luck and the problem is, all they know about you is whats on paper and what you're like at the interview, unfortunatly for some of the best candidates thats not enough time to really show them what you're made of. Its just who the tutors want to teach.

My mum went to UCL and she says your course there is fantastic, plus i know people who didn't get in to cambridge for science subjects, went to UCL and had the best time of their lives!! It hurts for now, but it will get better. Don't give up, you're better than that, just go somewhere, succeed and show cambridge what they missed!

(i didn't read the whole 2 pages of thread so im sorry if any of my info about you is wrong or its repeated anything)
For those people who are saying that the reason being indicated is not fair, reasonable, sensible, relevant: Cambridge's main teaching method, the supervision, relies on the student being able to debate and sell their arguments under strong pressure from the tutor. As a result the university is looking for people who would thrive in that environment rather than those who seem likely to fold up and creep into a corner. This factor is far from irrelevant, and the same applies at Oxford.
Reply 44
I got rejected for the same thing; not selling myself. I've been working towards getting the grades and giving the right interview for years, and Cambridge has been my dream since I was told at 6-7 I could do it. And turns out not to be. You will get over it; you just have to be resilient. Your other four unis are fantastic and you'd be doing very well to get to any of those, so just get your head back in the game and get those results. If, when the time comes, you don't want to accept any other offers and you had your heart set on Cambridge, you can always try again next year. I don't think it's worth it though, anyone who'll want to hire you in life will know that Cambridge doesn't throw the other unis out of the water and its position of prestige isn't unreachable by competition.
Reply 45
Futility
I got 11 A*s and 1 A in GCSE and 5 A grades at A level last year. I recently attended an interview at Cambridge, but I was rejected. Having enquired as to why this was, I was told I was too shy, quiet and failed to 'sell myself'. I am devasted. I cannot even consider my other offers at the moment. I had set my heart on going to Cambridge. It feels like I would just be making do by accepting any other offer. I'm tempted to reject my other offers and just give up.

dont give up ok i would no about giving up but you see i didnt try hard enough in school soo i failed my a levels but only passed one so i dont have the oppertunity to go to university never mind going to cambridge....go for your second choice and take the critisism that cambridge gave u if u have another interview by being more confident.....before i knew my results for my a levels i had applied to Stirling uni in scotland and had to go for an interview i failed because i wasnt confident in myself either soo i think u should give it all u got fo you next choice and make Cambridge regret their choice of having u
@OP

I'm sorry to hear you're so devastated and I can see why you're so upset but Cambridge really isn't the fairytale you've probably dreamed it to be. My cousin is there right now and, sure, while he loves it, he loves it because it's university life and he's studying the subject he wants to study, not because it's lardy-dah Cambridge. Going to another university is not the end of the world and everything happens for a reason. If this has happened, it was for the best. In time you will see that.

Also, I know you haven't asked my opinion either, but St Andrews and UCL are the best two from your others. UCL is probably the best for science anyway. My chemistry teacher thinks it's better than Cambridge!

9MmBulletz
TSRians, it's not all about A grades- should teach others a lesson that they should get hobbies outside education to appear more attractive to employers/ HE institiutions.
OP I am sorry for what happened though :console:

Actually, Oxbridge tutors themselves say that they're looking for people with academic potential and academic potential only because that's the whole point of going to such an academic university. Anything else is a little bonus, that's all.

Futility
As anothers have pointed out, it's all very well for you to say it's no big deal and that Cambridge is overrated, when you yourself have a place. Why did you apply there if it's so overrated?

I applied there also even though I wasn't too bothered and if you care, I applied 1) to satisfy my mother who originally wanted me to do medicine and 2) because even if going to Cambridge isn't the end-all of my life it's still one of the best universities for my subject, so I'd have been an idiot not to at least apply.
Reply 47
Who do you ask for feedback from Oxford?
Reply 48
Go to your insurance; Cambridge isn't the only good uni. Anyway, in ten years time no-one will care what uni you went to (unless you're an academic).
Reply 49
You were rejected with good reason. Its an interview, grow up, your either 17 or 18, and if you can't sell yourself to strangers with those grades you didn't deserve a place. Being shy is not an excuse. Everyone goes through the same process and I'm sure people with worse grades will have been offered places, because they sold themselves. If you can't do it for your University, how will you be able to do it for a job. Stop kidding yourself, and asking for sympathy.
Minerva

If you are considering reapplying, however, you should give some thought to broadening your outlook a bit and not invest so much in the outcome. I'd hate to be a Cambridge admissions tutor interviewing so many people every year who are 'desperate' to get in - it must be so obvious, and get in the way of demonstrating exactly what their particular talents might be.

This is really sound advice, OP. A similar thing happened to me the first time I applied to my university - the pressure I put on myself meant that I was simply too nervous and under-performed as a result. I got with my feedback (which was generally very positive) a similar comment to you about being 'diffident' and for a long time I didn't think that was a very good excuse, since it wasn't a reflection of my academic ability. Then I realised that given the nature of the teaching at places like Oxford and Cambridge (lots of one-on-one or small group tutorials/supervisions), the tutors can't really afford to take a class full of shy people who aren't going to be forthcoming with ideas. I asked myself if I had seemed in my interviews like the sort of person who could be challenged and pushed in this environment and the answer was a resounding no - so I began to understand where the tutors were coming from. I think you have to bear in mind that you need to be suitable for the teaching methods, and being shy causes difficulties.

If, like me, you were just incredibly nervous (when you pin such hopes on something, it's difficult not to be) and are thinking of reapplying, perhaps you should take a gap year and give it another go. There are all sorts of things you could do as a potential medic, but what really helped me was going to live on my own in France for a while. Even just a few months completely alone in an alien situation, though terrifying at first, can be really helpful and I honestly felt like I'd changed a lot when I returned. After a lot of interview practice and learning little tricks (sitting up straight on the edge of your seat helps you to breathe properly and keep calm), I reapplied and got an unconditional offer. :smile: It feels like a hard thing to change what may have become an aspect of your personality, but if you want to change it you can. :smile:
UCL is pretty awesome but if you prefer the small college city, like cambridge, the go for Durham. My friend who did Biology there had very good things to say about it. Good luck with the choices!
Reply 52
It is completely understandable that you're upset. Allow yourself some time and then think about your other offers.

I do think this is an important thing for others to take on boards. You need more than good grades. Especially somewhere that works on close contact with supervisors on a regular basis.
Reply 53
Ars Ludicra
This is really sound advice, OP. A similar thing happened to me the first time I applied to my university - the pressure I put on myself meant that I was simply too nervous and under-performed as a result. I got with my feedback (which was generally very positive) a similar comment to you about being 'diffident' and for a long time I didn't think that was a very good excuse, since it wasn't a reflection of my academic ability. Then I realised that given the nature of the teaching at places like Oxford and Cambridge (lots of one-on-one or small group tutorials/supervisions), the tutors can't really afford to take a class full of shy people who aren't going to be forthcoming with ideas. I asked myself if I had seemed in my interviews like the sort of person who could be challenged and pushed in this environment and the answer was a resounding no - so I began to understand where the tutors were coming from. I think you have to bear in mind that you need to be suitable for the teaching methods, and being shy causes difficulties.

If, like me, you were just incredibly nervous (when you pin such hopes on something, it's difficult not to be) and are thinking of reapplying, perhaps you should take a gap year and give it another go. There are all sorts of things you could do as a potential medic, but what really helped me was going to live on my own in France for a while. Even just a few months completely alone in an alien situation, though terrifying at first, can be really helpful and I honestly felt like I'd changed a lot when I returned. After a lot of interview practice and learning little tricks (sitting up straight on the edge of your seat helps you to breathe properly and keep calm), I reapplied and got an unconditional offer. :smile: It feels like a hard thing to change what may have become an aspect of your personality, but if you want to change it you can. :smile:
I return the compliment :smile: - great post.

OP - this is exactly right. I would also endorse the observations about Durham - great university, fantastic balance between academic rigour and all round development. It's hard to beat, frankly.
I've got a friend who went to cambridge, his friend comitted suicide because of work pressure and he decided he had to leave because he couldn't graduate with that hanging over his head. Just throwing that out there!

Anyway, Cambridge isn't the be all and end all of university. There are pleanty of universities that will do your course well and so on and so forth. Why don't you go and look around them and find out some more instead of throwing away your life by not going to uni at all. You're obviously intelligent enough to go and do well!
TwilightKnight
I have a hard time believing that it was only because you were shy.

I know plenty of people I would've considered 'shy', but they're studying at Oxbridge now, or have already finished their studies. Not to stare a stereotype in the face, but a lot of people going to Cambridge and Oxford are people who have dedicated their life to their education, so there are more than a few people studying there who are ... less socially capable than people studying at a former polytechnic for instance.

What admission tutors at the high class Uni's are looking for these days is a bit of breaking the mould. It's as much about non-academia these days as anything. Volunteer somewhere, do charity work. Have a hobby people can relate to, etc.

A mate of mine recently got an interview and offer to Cambridge (as well as UCL and Edinburgh). He's not the most capable student ever. He got something like 2 A*'s at GCSE, 3 A's and B's and C's for the rest. He's predicted A*AA at A Level (naturally, or else I don't think he would have a chance). I honestly think he got an interview BECAUSE he broke the mould. He didn't have perfect GCSE results, but his A Level predictions speak for themselves. He's put the work in, and he also has voluntary experience etc.

Im not advocating sabotaging your GCSE results to help break the mould, but if you're capable of getting those GCSE results, you can take some time away from your studies to do voluntary work and still get the A Level results needed.

My chances of going to Cambridge or Oxford were over before they began since I've missed close to 3 years of education due to my health. I always aspired to it, and it was crushing when I realised I wasn't going to achieve it, but it's not the end. University, at the end of the day, is getting out what you put in. It sounds a bit more glamorous saying you're an Oxbridge graduate, but just because you didn't achieve it at Undergraduate level, doesn't mean you can't do Post-Graduate work there. That's actually my aim now. Maybe it should be yours.

disagree on this point, everyone i know at ox has at least 5 A*, granted you CAN do it with less gcses, but its definately not the norm.

also to be classified as Shy in cambridge suggests that you arnt just a little shy, but shy to the point of failing to function.

think about tutes are incredibly intense 2 to 1 or 1 to 1 affairs where you have to operate under pressure. whats the point if your clever but clam up whenever your in front of your tutor?

as for overrated, nah its not, you absolutely pwn the jobs market afterwards in any top city firm....
I don't believe that Cambridge would reject someone simply because they are shy. Interviewers are supposed to be trained to help people to open up, aren't they?

Anyway, one of my friends got a place at Cambridge and she's the shyest person I know- so much so that teachers at my old school became concerned because she barely spoke. But when you get talking to her about things she's passionate about, she opens up and I guess this is why she got in. :smile:

But you know, OP, you're lucky because you're clearly intelligent already. You can just work on being more confident for the future!
Futility
As anothers have pointed out, it's all very well for you to say it's no big deal and that Cambridge is overrated, when you yourself have a place. Why did you apply there if it's so overrated?

It depends what you want to do in life. If you want a top job in the city, ensure you go to either oxbridge, imperial, LSE, UCL or warwick.
Reply 58
hothedgehog
. Why don't you go and look around them and find out some more instead of throwing away your life by not going to uni at all.

Anyone who doesn't go to uni is throwing their life away?

disagree on this point, everyone i know at ox has at least 5 A*, granted you CAN do it with less gcses, but its definitely not the norm.

To be honest I think grades are only a minor part of their selection process, so 10 A* at the GCSE really doesn't guarantee you anything. I have an offer for this year and I only got 2 A's and 4 B's out of the 11 subjects I did for the Irish junior cert (a rough equivalent to the GCSEs, though we do them a year earlier I gather).
Futility
I got 11 A*s and 1 A in GCSE and 5 A grades at A level last year. I recently attended an interview at Cambridge, but I was rejected. Having enquired as to why this was, I was told I was too shy, quiet and failed to 'sell myself'. I am devasted. I cannot even consider my other offers at the moment. I had set my heart on going to Cambridge. It feels like I would just be making do by accepting any other offer. I'm tempted to reject my other offers and just give up.

That's precisely why Cambridge did not choose you. I think grades can only get you so far. You need to be resilient and pick yourself up when you're down and never give up. (yep, sounds quite cheesy)

So if you give up so easily, I think Cambridge made a good decision.

Latest

Trending

Trending