Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i have an essay that i need to answer but there are so many diffrent OPINIONS please help the title is HAS THE WELFARE STATE CREATED A DEPENDENCY CULTURE (DISSCUS).

ReputationRep:
    Very interesting topic...

I'd say yes, it has to an extent.

Because the welfare state does things for people they formerly had to do themselves, the state has taken responsibility from the people.
    'If you're in bad health, blame the NHS, because they're supposed to care for your health.'
    That's how people think nowadays. Although the welfare state is only providing services relating to vital area of a citizen's life, such as education or health, many people feel that the state has taken up responsibility for that area of their life. If you're sick it's the NHS's fault, if you're ignorant, it's because state-schools are crap.
    Of course the state can't and shouldn't take up responsibility for this things. If people want to be free they have to be responsible. Taking away responsibility from people makes them dependent and hence less free.
    The state is perceived as though it were some kind of paternalistic construct that ought to be always right. If it's not, it's not your fault anyway.

This dependency culture is enhanced by the fact that politicians talk a lot about people's RIGHTS to social security, health, education,... a new car and TV.
    These rights are guaranteed by the state, hence making the citizen who claims these rights more dependent.

My last point is that people's mentality towards the welfare state is understandable, because they have to pay for it. So, it is normal, they expect something in return and they expect that they need not care about those things anymore. They pay to give the burden of responsibility to someone else.
    The fact that taxpayers are being forced to pay takes away freedom of course. And loss of freedom leads to dependency.

Sorry, that the points are made in no logical order.

Hope this helps anyway.

ReputationRep:
    is that history or sociology?

ReputationRep:
    Thank You For Your Opinion

ReputationRep:
    Its Social Work

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, intertesting question.

I don't think you can deny it has in some aspects created a dependancy culture, but this culture is surely much better than the alternative in which a welfare state would not exist.

Just to focus on one issue - unemployment benefit, there is little doubt it has created people who are happy to sit and take the states benefits and do nothing (or cheat the system), but what is the alternative? Leave people who are unemployed without money, without any chance of basic survival for food/clothing/housing which are needed for people. Ok, people may cheat the syste, but the government is clamping down as much as possible on this. But the welfare state is needed because some people cannot help not being employed, it is a fact of life - sometimes people cannot get a job.

Just on a side note, in scandinvia where the replacement ratio is around 80% people are not as dependant on the state and do not remain on unemployment benefit instead of working.

Is this not showing that it is NOT the welfare state that creates the problem, but it is the mindset of the people.

ReputationRep:
    thanks corey thats useful

ReputationRep:
    is there anyone else who would like to say what they feel, i could do with all the help i can get.

ReputationRep:
    Ali G - "is it called the welfare state cause it's well fair?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tillyanddebbie)
    is there anyone else who would like to say what they feel, i could do with all the help i can get.
    Hi. i have the same essya to do and i am struggling if you have finished your essay could you please give me some advice.

ReputationRep:
    can you tell me your essay question and then i should be able to help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tillyanddebbie)
    can you tell me your essay question and then i should be able to help
    "Assess the argument that rather than eliminating poverty, the welfare state has created a form of dependency culture"

ReputationRep:
    The Welfare State is an excellent concept for people, through no fault of their own need to use it, redundancy, divorce etc, however;

It really hacks me off that people think that they are entitled to it ie: that terrible woman off wife swap with 7 kids who was in receipt of benefits totalling more than 37 grand a year. (How many people earn that much)

Travellers and people with "alternative lifestyles" is fair enough, that is their choice, but they shouldn't get their Giro as they have no intention of working.

Young girls getting pregnant so they can get a council house.

Obtaining benefits in this country is far too easy, in America, being on welfare is thought to be the lowest of the low, here it is normal.

The problem is that people even with limited education still think some jobs are beneath them, and getting the dole is better than doing a crap job for minimum wage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barbie8199)
    "Assess the argument that rather than eliminating poverty, the welfare state has created a form of dependency culture"
    some people have lost sight of why jobs are needed. It's to provide the money to be able to live. With this in mind, it's no good just having a job. You need a job, which provides enough for you to be able to live. Being in work might make the government's employment figures look good, but it does not stop the landlord wanting £200 in rent. If you only earn £199, clearly this is no good. Given that in a modern first world nation, there is more than enough to provide a basic standard of living for everyone.
    The welfare state effectively pays people not to work. It is not surprising therefore that the numbers of people claiming benefit and the level of dependency have risen. But on the other hand, many, single parents are trapped on benefit, not by the welfare system, but by, the absence of affordable childcare and the lack of decent jobs. Short of a new expansion in the system which provides jobs and rising living standards, all they offer is to make living on welfare so unbearable that even more people are forced off benefits and into conditions which were common in the last century before the creation of the welfare state.
    I don't think you can deny it has in some aspects created a dependency culture, but this culture is surely much better than the alternative in which a welfare state would not exist. Just to focus on one issue - unemployment benefit, there is little doubt it has created people who are happy to sit and take the states benefits and do nothing (or cheat the system), but what is the alternative? Leave people who are unemployed without money, without any chance of basic survival for food/clothing/housing, which are needed for people. Ok, people may cheat the system, but the government is clamping down as much as possible on this. But the welfare state is needed because some people cannot help not being employed, it is a fact of life - sometimes people cannot get a job.
    i hope this helps. if you need any more help just ask

ReputationRep:
    A Libertarian Perspective

The Welfare State was builded on a noble foundation of "fairness" enabling such things as education for all, and a guarantee of treatment for sickness regardless of socio-economic background.

However, I am bound to say that the "safety net" principle has been stretched to such an extent that the burden of responsibility for one's own life has shifted from the individual to the State.

There are too many examples of this to feasibly list but it does seem that there is not a single injustice or single inconvenience in life that cannot somehow portrayed as a failing of the State. "It's not me. I was failed by the System" is a common war cry.

Most worrying to me in all of this is the expansion of the State which in economic terms is clearly demand led. The more that is asked of the State, the more it provides, and the larger it becomes as the population fattens itself as it succles from the teats of the State.

The erosion of individual responsibility is morally wrong. We have a society that fully knows it's rights but has forgotten it's obligations and there seems to me to be little doubt that such an expansive, all-providing State will create a dependency culture.

I further object to the expansion of the State on the grounds that can only be possible on the backs of taxpayers and on the assumption that government is able to decide more wisely about how to spend an individual's money than the individual can him/herself. "The man in Whitehall know's best"

I believe this assumption is wrong and I believe the redistribution of wealth from one individual to another individual through a wasteful government medium is also wrong.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.