The Student Room Group
Reply 1
gordon2002
For teacher references (UCAS), are teachers only allowed to write positive stuff? My chemsitry teacher wrote how well I did in chemistry even though I'm colour blind. I feel this would affect my chances in either applying for pharmacy or medicine.

What do you think?

er I wouldnt really consider it negative, bit of an odd comment though- possibly ask them to remove it if you think it worth it?
Reply 2
versalife
er I wouldnt really consider it negative, bit of an odd comment though- possibly ask them to remove it if you think it worth it?

not sure if they can change it. In our school pupils are not meant to see the references for this purpose, but I don't know why I got to see my reference!
Reply 3
I don't really see why being colour blind is all too relevant to chemistry
Reply 4
flame test, titration??
Reply 5
I think it's a good comment. It shows that you are hardworking and will overcome any challenge.
Reply 6
UCAS comments are usually predominantly positive, but teachers have a duty to provide an outline of the strengths and weaknesses of a candidate - that's the whole point of a reference. It is for the uni to decide what the balance is - and quite honestly grades are the initial sifter in the decision whether to give you an offer anyway. Just make sure you are predicted the grades your unis want!
A testemonial on the other hand is almost always very positive.
gordon2002
For teacher references (UCAS), are teachers only allowed to write positive stuff? My chemsitry teacher wrote how well I did in chemistry even though I'm colour blind. I feel this would affect my chances in either applying for pharmacy or medicine.

What do you think?

I think its a positive. Shows how you overcame it to succeed. :biggrin: The only effect I can see is that you are willing to persevere (sp?) and to overcome obstacles.
Reply 8
I got something negative in my reference too, and that is for one subject. The teacher only wrote one negative thing in that one subject. I still got offers in the end.
Reply 9
we were shown our references at my school and we were told to expect that there might be some comments which weren't praise. that said, i wouldn't say that your teacher's comment was really a negative one - it's stating a fact. obviously, i have no idea what kind of colourblindness you suffer from, but if it makes your success in chemistry more remarkable, well then so be it. if you really don't like it, you could ask your teacher to remove it.
Reply 10
right, my form tutor said that if there were any negative comments from the teachers, the form tutors would take it out when compiling the whole reference. So do you guys still think I should take it out?

cheers
Reply 11
gordon2002
right, my form tutor said that if there were any negative comments from the teachers, the form tutors would take it out when compiling the whole reference. So do you guys still think I should take it out?

cheers

Talk to your tutor about taking the negative stuff out. For us, we weren't allow to edit it in anyway. :frown:

I got one negative statement on the reference, I still got offers. The teacher wrote something like this (forgot the exact wording though): he has medicore writing skills, however the writing skills is improving dramatically.

The statement mentioned above means that I am almost succeeding to improve my writing. Therefore, it isn't that much of a negative statement.

If your teacher wrote that kind of method of expressing a negative comment, it's ok in some way I guess.
Reply 12
trev
Talk to your tutor about taking the negative stuff out. For us, we weren't allow to edit it in anyway. :frown:

I got one negative statement on the reference, I still got offers. The teacher wrote something like this (forgot the exact wording though): he has medicore writing skills, however the writing skills is improving dramatically.

The statement mentioned above means that I am almost succeeding to improve my writing. Therefore, it isn't that much of a negative statement.

If your teacher wrote that kind of method of expressing a negative comment, it's ok in some way I guess.

teacher said I can have it removed or leave it, what do you think I should do with it?
Reply 13
gordon2002
teacher said I can have it removed or leave it, what do you think I should do with it?

I would remove the negative things to be safe.
Reply 14
But if you really ARE colour blind, would that not be something that might be important for Chemistry?
Reply 15
Geogger
But if you really ARE colour blind, would that not be something that might be important for Chemistry?

i'm not applying for chemistry degree, therefore I dont think it matters. Because I think that people think that colour blind people cant see colour, but I can, its just I cant differentiate close colours
Reply 16
gordon2002
i'm not applying for chemistry degree, therefore I dont think it matters. Because I think that people think that colour blind people cant see colour, but I can, its just I cant differentiate close colours

Are you actually then colour deficient, rather than colour blind? Either way, I don't think it'll count against you in your application ("disability" discrimination and all that) and it shows you've worked round something out of your control and done well in spite of the additional challenges. Don't think it much matters whether you leave it in or take it out to be honest.
Jenn xx
Reply 17

If you want to see it they have to let you. Freedom of information act of sometime.

Damn that was meant to quote this:
"not sure if they can change it. In our school pupils are not meant to see the references for this purpose, but I don't know why I got to see my reference!"
Reply 18
This is ridiculous. It's like saying, 'Oh, my German teacher said I'm good at German even though I am in a wheelchair.' First, no Chemistry department would be allowed to reject you on those grounds: it's discrimination. Second, you're not even applying for Chemistry? OK, there is some Chemistry involved in Medicine or Pharmacy but they wouldn't reject you for it. There was a guy in my Chemistry group who got (I think) 3 offers for Medicine at top universities.
Reply 19
gordon2002

cheers

yh just in case, i think it should be removed. you may just regret it later.

but even if you dont, they'll find out anyhow, and you have just a good chance of doing medicine as anyone else. My friend who is colour defincient, just got accepted into oxford aswell as two other top universities for medicine.

Latest

Trending

Trending