The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, but it would be ill advised
Reply 2
EierVonSatan
You can, depends where you go :yep:

So she will be able to but she won't go to a respected uni?
Reply 3
xPoppetx
So she will be able to but she won't go to a respected uni?

She could, but she would have to present a very strong case if her school offers it. It would be making life excessively difficult for herself
I am living proof that it is possible.

EDIT: Oh, and my personal statement was for Medicine. So just tell them to get the grades...
Reply 5
SimonM
She could, but she would have to present a very strong case if her school offers it. It would be making life excessively difficult for herself

Ah ok but she really likes History and that clashes with Fm on her timetable...I guess she will have to decide what she wants to do. History or FM.
Reply 6
xPoppetx
Ah ok but she really likes History and that clashes with Fm on her timetable...I guess she will have to decide what she wants to do. History or FM.

Is self study reasonable for further maths (with help from the teacher). I'm sure if she explained to the teacher what she wanted, it would be reasonable
Reply 7
SimonM
Is self study reasonable for further maths (with help from the teacher). I'm sure if she explained to the teacher what she wanted, it would be reasonable

She's taking:

English Lang/Lit
Music
Geography
History or FM
Critical Thinking

She said self study would be too much for her, she's not gifted academically and said she would have enough revision with those subjects so she will decide depending on her GCSE results. The 6th form will always let her change subject if she wants in the first week.
xPoppetx
She's taking:

English Lang/Lit
Music
Geography
History or FM
Critical Thinking

She said self study would be too much for her, she's not gifted academically and said she would have enough revision with those subjects so she will decide depending on her GCSE results. The 6th form will always let her change subject if she wants in the first week.

That isn't really typical maths degree a level choices. I mean what about standard maths? Further Maths is two a levels.

A hard science for would be advisible for entry to good universities. Don't know if Geography counts as a science let alone hard science.
Reply 9
Isn't she taking regular maths? She would need this to do anything to do with maths at uni....
Reply 10
im doing it! 3rd year masters student and proud!!

i actually thought this thread was asking if you could manage a maths degree without football manager. the answer is no...as with any other type of degree =D
If she likes Maths enough to have already decided to do it at University, then I can't see why she wouldn't, given the opportunity, take Further Maths above any other subject?
If your friend is not enthusiastic enough about mathematics to study it herself, how on Earth is she going to motivate other people to study it?
Reply 13
Revolution is my Name
If she likes Maths enough to have already decided to do it at University, then I can't see why she wouldn't, given the opportunity, take Further Maths above any other subject?

This. This thread would make sense if she'd already done her A-Levels and was now deciding that she wants to do maths, but... what?
Well my friend got into York without it. It is possible, but really, if you like Maths enough, surely you would take FM as well...
It's certainly recommended that you do further maths. I think that mainly for the well respected universities, you have to do further maths up to at least AS level. Obviously, if your school/college doesn't offer it then you have an excuse, but she'll be making it a lot more difficult for herself by not doing it.
xPoppetx
She's taking:

English Lang/Lit
Music
Geography
History or FM
Critical Thinking

Before asking whether she can study a maths degree without FM, she should resolve whether you can study a maths degree without maths (you can't) or FM without maths (again, you can't). Can she really be thinking about applying for a maths degree without any post-GCSE maths? If so, it doesn't seem that critical thinking would be a good subject for her.

What also seems strange is that someone who claims not to be academically gifted is contemplating taking five A levels; it seems a recipe for failure.
You have to do standard maths as well if you do further maths, they're 2 separate blocks on the time table. Obviously she'll need to do at least normal maths! Since she's lucky enough to go to a school which offers further maths, I really think she should take it - even if she just does the AS and not the A2. But it will make the transition from a-level to university level work much easier - and make it easier for her to get offers too. If she really likes maths enough to do it at degree level, I would've thought she'd like it enough to take further maths a-level. Also, has she thought about taking physics/chemistry/another numerate subject too? None of her other choices really seem to be leading to a maths degree to be honest.
jammiebreadman
It's certainly recommended that you do further maths. I think that mainly for the well respected universities, you have to do further maths up to at least AS level. Obviously, if your school/college doesn't offer it then you have an excuse, but she'll be making it a lot more difficult for herself by not doing it.

With the further maths network and all the access to specifications online and textbooks on amazon, you don't even really have that excuse now. You could probably get away with just doing the AS and not applying to the best unis, but it would be a waste really.
If she is seriously considering doing a maths degree then she should definitely take standard maths as this is needed to do a maths degree. Also, if she is considering it, she should enjoy it enough to do further maths instead of one of the choices she has already, that has absolutely no use to a maths degree like geography. :smile:

Latest