My Girlfriend takes anti-depressants Watch

This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
please keep anon or delete...

I've having a lot of trouble recently as i've discovered my girlfriend takes anti-depressants. She says it's not strong ones but I feel that there has to be another solution...

Please, what do you think?
(helpful comments please!)
cpj1987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I agree with you, but unfortunately you're not going to be able to easily change her mind, so it's something that you'll either have to put up with or offer up an ultimatum for.

Try broaching the subject of her coming off them, and see how she reacts for a better idea of how things will be in future.
Salome2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
please keep anon or delete...

I've having a lot of trouble recently as i've discovered my girlfriend takes anti-depressants. She says it's not strong ones but I feel that there has to be another solution...

Please, what do you think?
(helpful comments please!)
Hmmmm... Well, it seems as though her doctor may know better than you if she truly needs to take them. If it really bothers you, I think you should have a candid discussion with her about your concerns and hopefully reach some sort of understanding.
Antimatter
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
People don't just take them for 'depression'.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by cpj1987)
I agree with you, but unfortunately you're not going to be able to easily change her mind, so it's something that you'll either have to put up with or offer up an ultimatum for.

Try broaching the subject of her coming off them, and see how she reacts for a better idea of how things will be in future.
she doesn't want to talk about it much and when asking her when she might come off them she just replies "when the time is right"
GottaLovePhysics! :)
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If thier pecribed I wouldnt mess around with the meds.
Just offer her suport and she may chose give them up.

Do not. I repeat NOT try to replace her pills with plecebos or anything like that - I know a similer situation that went wrong because of this
Doodahdoo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Why is it that you have concerns with your girlfriend taking anti-depressants? Have you spoken to her about it much? And is she getting any sort of therapy, or talking to anybody?
Is she taking them for depression, too?

Don't rule them out completely. Anti-depressants can be very beneficial in combination with other sorts of therapies, and some people find that anti-ds help them to cope better on a day-to-day basis, which means that they can then be in a better position to deal with whatever problems they are experiencing. Plus, any medication-taking should be done under the supervision of a dr., she shouldn't just give them up without consulting her gp first.

Take care.
Lil Piranha
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What is she on them for? Depression, bulimia, anorexia?

Whatever she's on them for, it's her choice when you get right down to it. What is it you don't like about them?

I started antidepressants 3 months ago after several years of severe manic depression, I never wanted to go on them myself, but I have to say they do really help. They're not a cure, you have to have counselling / CBT in my case alongside, but they help a lot of people so much.

Coming off them is also risky, as you will have major withdrawal symptoms. Even if she does decide to stop taking them, she will still have to take them for another 3 months or so, gradually lowering the dose as her doctor tells her to. You cannot just stop them.
GemmyMonster
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I feel you're an ass.

If she needs anti-depressants then she does, whilst they rarely fix things they can often be crucial in coping until things are better. If it's a temporary stress making her depressed no doubt it'll go away, otherwise she may need (or be having) some form of counselling. May be something you've not even thought of.

Why does it matter if she's on them though, it shouldn't matter to you.
cpj1987
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
she doesn't want to talk about it much and when asking her when she might come off them she just replies "when the time is right"
If it were me in this situation, I would continue to push the issue of when the time will be right, to get a more detailed response.

If my boyfriend was upset about something, I'd hope that he could trust me enough to talk about it. I don't know how long you've been with your girlfriend or how strong your relationship is, but if it's something you intended to last I'd question the situation more.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Salome2)
Hmmmm... Well, it seems as though her doctor may know better than you if she truly needs to take them. If it really bothers you, I think you should have a candid discussion with her about your concerns and hopefully reach some sort of understanding.
I wouldn't know what to say in this "candid Discussion" you propose. I can't say "dont take them" she won't listen to me as i've never been depressed. I won't leave her though, that has no grounds for it.
Matt_1892
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
Stop complaining and just support her.
skipp
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Whatever your personal opinion on them may be it's down to your girlfriend and her doctor what medication she takes, even if in your view there is another solution it seems this is working for her right now (guessing from the fact you only just realised she was on them) so if both she and her doctor feel it's ok for her to take them then that's what she should be doing...
Indieboohoo
Badges: 1
Report 9 years ago
If she was depressed when you got with her, all you should be doing is showing support that you will help her through it. What if she comes off them and is depressed again?

Edit anti depressants aren't just for depression she could have a migraine, she might have ADHD and other problems, you should talk and ask before you assume
Doodahdoo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I wouldn't know what to say in this "candid Discussion" you propose. I can't say "dont take them" she won't listen to me as i've never been depressed. I won't leave her though, that has no grounds for it.
Why do you think that she should stop taking them, though?
And maybe you just need to hear her side of it, explaining why she feels she needs to take them - and respect that - then explain your concerns with her taking anti-ds, and why you feel that they aren't great for her.
fredscarecrow
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Why would you say that straight out? Do you just completely disagree with the use of A-Ds in any circumstance?
Try talking to her about why she is on them, is she getting non medicative help [i.e. therapy] etc. Perhaps talk to her about her long term aims regarding medication etc.
Learn about her situation, rather than demanding you change it. If the A-Ds are working for her, then what's the issue?

I'm on a form of Anti-D, but not for depression. The ones I'm taking are used for pain relief in the lower doses. My boyfriend was incredibly unhappy about me going on them in the first place. His ex was dosed up on loads of different A-Ds for depression and anxiety and they turned her into an absolute zombie...which was why he was so unhappy about me using them.
He explain why he was so mistrusting of them, but I explained I wanted to give them a go.

You need to have a reason for why you want her to stop taking them. Just be supportive in every way you can, rather than by telling her how she should manage her illness.
Anonymous #1
I find myself being distressed because I feel there's something I should do. Btw the ant-depressants ARE for curing depression. She has said that she has overcome most of it though.
superwolf
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think you need to educate yourself a bit more about antidepressants. There's nothing wrong with taking them, they can help some people a lot. Your girlfriend clearly feels they are helping her. Do you know what kind she's taking?

You probably need to have another conversation with your girlfriend but be supportive, you have no right to tell her she's got the wrong solution when you don't even know what the problem is.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Doodahdoo)
Why do you think that she should stop taking them, though?
And maybe you just need to hear her side of it, explaining why she feels she needs to take them - and respect that - then explain your concerns with her taking anti-ds, and why you feel that they aren't great for her.
I have some crazy idea that there's got to be an alternative... I thought it only makes it worse. There's evidence that ADs don't actually work and they are like placebos.
Anonymous #1
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...dy-787264.html

http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/W...on_t_Work.html

http://www.nhs.uk/News/2007/January0...sdontwork.aspx

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-wad102309.php
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (81)
59.12%
No (56)
40.88%

Watched Threads