The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

lucyloves*
Why are you a vegan and not just a vegetarian?

Is that even possible to be vegan these days?
I don't understand it either but I think it's because they are strict and don't want to eat any animal product.
Or because dairy products can cause alot of mucus, so it's better to avoid it.
Reply 3
You are finally on red! :daydreaming:
Reply 4
Hah good question.
Yeah still a veggie but I don't even have time to cook now so I guess veganism is still not for me since it requires a bit more attention in the kitchen :awesome:
Reply 5
Indieboohoo
I don't understand it either but I think it's because they are strict and don't want to eat any animal product.
Or because dairy products can cause alot of mucus, so it's better to avoid it.

The bit in bold is a myth. Heather Mills was whinging about mucus in milk on some programme on BBC3 and then the presenter went on to show how the one-legged wonder was talking nonsense.
JW92
The bit in bold is a myth. Heather Mills was whinging about mucus in milk on some programme on BBC3 and then the presenter went on to show how the one-legged wonder was talking nonsense.

It's not a myth. And I didn't say just milk I said dairy products cheese,eggs. I used to be a vegan and I noticed that my mucus reduced, obviously you can't avoid it but it does help reduce it.
http://www.badbreathkiller.com/health-airways-related/the-halitosis-hack-is-your-cough-caused-by-bad-b.html
Reply 7
Can I cook a vegan dish using only apples and bread?
Reply 8
I can't really remember. The programme reckoned milk was so thoroughly cleaned and processed that there was nothing to worry about, but it was on BBC3 midweek so I wouldn't trust the information with my life. And as long as it's not making them ill and it tastes alright, I don't think most people care what's in their food.
Reply 9
Indieboohoo
It's not a myth. And I didn't say just milk I said dairy products cheese,eggs. I used to be a vegan and I noticed that my mucus reduced, obviously you can't avoid it but it does help reduce it.
http://www.badbreathkiller.com/health-airways-related/the-halitosis-hack-is-your-cough-caused-by-bad-b.html

I can't say I really trust that link as it seems to be trying to sell me something, but okay. My levels of mucus seem to be fine so I'm gunna stick to milk and cheese.

Edit - Within the first five results for "mucus dairy products" on Google, I found two studies disputing your claim here and here.
If you care about animal rights and want to do something about it yourself, you must turn vegan. Eating dairy/eggs is useless for that purpose. You may as well eat meat -- won't make much difference :s-smilie:

Being vegan however is extremely hard (at least I think it is) so I can understand why people can have a hard time sticking to a vegan diet.
JW92
I can't say I really trust that link as it seems to be trying to sell me something, but okay. My levels of mucus seem to be fine so I'm gunna stick to milk and cheese.

Edit - Within the first five results for "mucus dairy products" on Google, I found two studies disputing your claim here and here.

Maybe I worded it wrong but I meant there's fat in dairy based products that can thicken mucus.:rolleyes:

EDIT - http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/sci_tech/highlights/bogey.shtml
Reply 12
now you are green! haha
lucyloves*
Why are you a vegan and not just a vegetarian?

I'm politically vegan. Which means I will not provide political or financial support to those industries which (imo) are abusing/exploiting nonhuman animals (and as far as I can manage, human animals also).

The dairy/eggs industry is equally as abusive/exploitative as the meat industries (if not more so in the case of dairy cows).

There are massive implications for the environment also. For instance 51% of greenhouse gasses can be attributed to industrial animal farming... not to mention the problems caused by waste, pesticides, over-use of antibiotics etc.

have a read of milk myths: the dark side of dairy here: http://milkmyths.org.uk/intro.php

and on free range eggs read through some of the articles from this search: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rls=ig&q=reality+free+range+eggs&meta=&aq=f&oq=

have a watch of this video called 'earthlings', it will probably highlight to you why most vegans are vegan: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7584730387826688635#
Miss Prankster Pixie
I'm politically vegan.

But do you eat animal products?

For the OP: I am vegan because I believe it is wrong to use animals for our own personal gain. Humans are equal, in spirit, to animals and because of this I don't see any reason why we should exploit them.

Being vegan is brilliant though, I'm actually much healthier as a vegan than I ever was as a veggie because I'm more aware of my diet and my nutritional needs. I'm much healthier and have more energy than pretty much all of my meat-eating friends :smile: and I haven't really sacrificed eating anything I like! I have become a pro at vegan baking so can have all the chocolatey goods I could want!
I haven't eaten eggs for 2 and a half years! (the same amount of time I've been vegan :wink: )
I have respect for anybody who has the self discipline to stick to a specific type of nutrition plan or diet (whatever their reason), but I have to say that I am as far from being a vegan or vegetarian as possible. I love meat and I always will!
No idea. I don't even own chickens!! Lol don't worry about it though :smile: xx
blinkbelle
But do you eat animal products?

For the OP: I am vegan because I believe it is wrong to use animals for our own personal gain. Humans are equal, in spirit, to animals and because of this I don't see any reason why we should exploit them.

Being vegan is brilliant though, I'm actually much healthier as a vegan than I ever was as a veggie because I'm more aware of my diet and my nutritional needs. I'm much healthier and have more energy than pretty much all of my meat-eating friends :smile: and I haven't really sacrificed eating anything I like! I have become a pro at vegan baking so can have all the chocolatey goods I could want!

I don't eat any animal products for personal reasons. However, I support freeganing of food or products which may or may not contain animal products.

I have several close friends who freegan food. I would rather that food destined for landfill was eaten rather than releasing methane into the atmosphere.

My problem with the animal product industries (and reason for veganism) is that I am against the 6,000 year old practice of domestication[1] of nonhumans, their imprisonment on farms (no matter how much the farm focusses on 'welfare') and slaughtering of nonhumans. However I am not opposed to nonhumans being killed as part of our instinct for food (or any other animals instinct for food). My concern is the freedom of all living things, and that we return to living within nature, not attempting to own and/or dominate it.

[1] with regards domestication - I have no problem with individual people caring for individual companion animals, simply that we have selectively bred, manipulated and imprisoned nonhumans over the milleniums, and that we have rendered them dependant upon us through the domestication process. I would like to see the current domesticated animals rewilded/cared for, but that the industries built upon (and profitting from) the breeding/sale of domesticated animals be stopped.
Thank you for this.

I have incorporated what you have said into the various facebook debates I am currently in also.

:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending