gcse science core aqa+ additional science. Watch

peanut65
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
hello,
i was just wondering whether taking gcse core science spec 4416 and gcse additional science which is 2 gcses altogether has more/less weight than taking a double award in science, i am looking to study medicine in the future and was wondering which 6forms look most favorobly upon

regards
peanut65
Rep:
?
bump
Leto
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by peanut65)
hello,
i was just wondering whether taking gcse core science spec 4416 and gcse additional science which is 2 gcses altogether has more/less weight than taking a double award in science, i am looking to study medicine in the future and was wondering which 6forms look most favorobly upon

regards
What's the difference between the two? I have no idea what Core and Additional Science are but if a double award is two sciences (ie. Chemistry and Biology), that's 2 GCSEs. You say Core + Additional = 2 GCSEs so methinks they're of equal weight.

Does Core + Additional contain all three sciences together? I can see how that might be useful to you for sixth form but med schools probably wouldn't mind either way. Some schools only offer one type of science GCSE (like some don't do triple science etc.) so I'm fairly sure they don't discriminate on the sort of science GCSE you've got. They probably just want good grades...
peanut65
Rep:
?
core science contains all 3 sciences.
AquilaXenon
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They're the same weighting, doing Core Science and Additional Science is Double Award Science, then if you were to do an extra module in each you would be doing Triple Award Science which is actually a GCSE in each science whereas Double Award is a GCSE in Core and a GCSE in Additional Science.
peanut65
Rep:
?
ohhhh...

so is a 'double award' 2 seperate gcse's or an average?
emmakh123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i took core science which was B1a, B1b, C1a, C1b, P1a & P1b which gave me an average as my GCSE - i got an A + A* in bio, C's in physics and a C + D in chemistry, which overall gave me Core Science as a B.

i also took biology which is unit 1 (written rather than multiple choice as B1a and B1b, etc are.), unit 2, unit 3 and a biology ISA.
peanut65
Rep:
?
got results
a* for all 4 c1a/b1a/b1b/p1a
susie_love
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DWClark)
I am pretty sure that it works like this for AQA:

B1 + C1 + P1 + Unit 1 ISA = Core Science
B2 + C2 + P2 + Unit 2 ISA = Additional Science
Core + Additional = Double Science. Two GCSEs.

However, if you do:
B1 + B2 + B3 + Biology ISA
C1 + C2 + C3 + Chemistry ISA
P1 + P2 + P3 + Physics ISA
This is 'triple science' - you get a separate GCSE in Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
:yes: Well explained...
Razerr
Report 9 years ago
I didn't get the option for triple science, so was stuck with Core + Additional Science.

Funnily enough, I found Core Harder (Got an A in Core, respective to an A* in Additional). Although, I could say this was due to the fact I changed schools in my 2nd Year of GCSE's.

I think when it comes to A Levels though, if you are planning on doing a Science, if you have the option of doing Triple Science, go for it, as some of the things that come up the the Last Third of each course (Phys, Bio, Chem) aren't covered in A level Science, and thus you have to self study the bits you have missed, as they are usually not taught as it's presumed that you have studied it at GCSE.

But, College's can't make it a set requirement for you to have studied Triple Science, as not all Secondaries have the ability to offer it. (Same reasons Universities can't require you to have Further Maths / Computing, not all Sixth Form / College's offer these courses)
FAYLI
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
gateway college ,regent and Qe may make an exception, they are not so strict about the requirements you need to enter the college
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (68)
15.74%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (44)
10.19%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (81)
18.75%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (61)
14.12%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (46)
10.65%
How can I be the best version of myself? (132)
30.56%

Watched Threads