Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What do you think about it? Do you think life would be better?

How about if we all spoke the same language, same currency, etc.? This doesn't mean we don't have other languages, but wouldn't it be better?

Do you think it would ever be possible to have one world government? If so, how soon? And what would it be like?

Give your opinions, and theories please.

ReputationRep:
    Bad idea. No
    I wouildnt like that. No it wouldnt be better.
    This will never happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    Bad idea. No
    I wouildnt like that. No it wouldnt be better.
    This will never happen.
    that would never work. the usa wouldn't accept anything less than power for a start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    What do you think about it? Do you think life would be better?

How about if we all spoke the same language, same currency, etc.? This doesn't mean we don't have other languages, but wouldn't it be better?

Do you think it would ever be possible to have one world government? If so, how soon? And what would it be like?

Give your opinions, and theories please.
    Good one caz!
    I like the idea of a one world government personally. Almost impossible to imagine it ever happening. However if it were done right, it would be almost perfect. Everything contributed for the common good etc. A dollar would be a dollar anywhere in the world, or pound, or some new currency etc. I'd like to keep the languages, as there doesn't seem to be any point in ditching them plus it adds a bit of identity like an accent. All in all, great idea, great dream, not likely to happen.

ReputationRep:
    It would be decades, maybe even centuries before that was possible. To happen now would mean richer countries giving up so much to raise the standard of living of the rest of the world, and realisticly speaking, that is not going to happen any time soon.

ReputationRep:
    One world government? That may sound nice, but it would never happen. Can you actually imagine the leaders of Turkmenistan, Syria, Libya, etc. deciding to give up rulership of their countries?

ReputationRep:
    So just why wouldn't this be a good idea? and Ollie, the US will be nothing more than a 'former' power in 200 years, so there is an outside chance

ReputationRep:
    There would be no international wars.

ReputationRep:
    No - humans are competitive - just be internal competitve beauracracies.

Anyway i wouldn't stand on it, how can you exploit people if you all have the same laws , it wouldn't be exploitation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Only civil wars. What an improvement!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    One world government? That may sound nice, but it would never happen. Can you actually imagine the leaders of Turkmenistan, Syria, Libya, etc. deciding to give up rulership of their countries?
    Who says they have to do so willingly? hehe

ReputationRep:
    I was trying to be ironic, but you pointed it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    But then what would we do with surplus goods ie. Orwell's 1984

ReputationRep:
    Not if it was done right the first time. Wishful thinking I know, but if the foundation was laid properly, then the chance of a civil war would be minimal, and further on that.. any chance of it doing more than create a few days ruckus even less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Not if it was done right the first time. Wishful thinking I know, but if the foundation was laid properly, then the chance of a civil war would be minimal, and further on that.. any chance of it doing more than create a few days ruckus even less.
    If an unquestionable hierarchy was introduced, then I'm sure that it would be simple to control the easily-led masses.

ReputationRep:
    Um, it wouldn't take too much to unify the world. Just a huge disaster or awakening from some natural, or even unnatural means/event.

Or even just an invention. I know there has been many prophecies from reknown psychics on a device that transfers thoughts and huge blocks of information. Just think how even the invention of just one thing could seriously change everything

ReputationRep:
    hm well if there WAS one huge country, what would the capital be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    hm well if there WAS one huge country, what would the capital be?
    Hm, I'll have to go with the North Pole. It would be safest

no, but seriously. Probably the UN

ReputationRep:
    If an unquestionable hierarchy was introduced, then I'm sure that it would be simple to control the easily-led masses.
    Yup yup.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think it'd be a good idea.

Errare humanum est. No-one is perfect. Everyone makes mistakes. Every government, however good, makes mistakes, because it is made up of humans.

So, the world government can never be perfect.

As it will inevitably take wrong decisions, there must be a way to check its power (unless you want to go into totalitarianism which is not acceptable anyway).

However, where power is checked, there is counter-power. So, power would have to be split.

Power seeks to increase itself. So there would be conflicts between the different powers of the world government. Either one would impose itself, which would lead totalitarianism, or the world government would eventually fall to pieces.

So, unless you accept a totalitarian dystopia, a world-government is impossible.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.