Turn on thread page Beta

unfair school rules which should be abolished watch

ReputationRep:
    does your school/college have any really stupid rules with no reason behind them. for example at my school you cannot sit on the tables in the library since you might break them, (new librarian = new rules ) doesn't seem to realise none had broken in the 5 years before. you cannot talk in the silent room in the library even when there u and the person u are talking to are the only 2 people in the room. you cannot sing on school buses (dont know the reason) and dont even get me started on our school uniform regulations,
    also girls get way with so much uniform wise at our school it isnt even funny, does anyone else have any similar experiences.

ReputationRep:
    Silent room = no talking?

ReputationRep:
    the reason behind the rule is that u will disturb other ppl but when u are the only 2 people in the room who are u disturbing?

ReputationRep:
    - Girls have lesser scrict rules on uniform
    - Top Button undone
    - Shirt slightly not tucked in
    (both punishable by a lunchtime dentention *sighs*)
    - No facial hair, although about 10 teachers have some
    - No football on the field, but rugby is ok!

and the worst rule EVER

IF you have free periods in the morning (i.e lessons 1/2), you MUST register still at 8:45, like wtf???

ReputationRep:
    I think the whole idea of some of these seemingly 'pointless' rules is to instill a sense of discipline into you, at a young age.
    An important requirement.

ReputationRep:
    and who are intelligent enought to do GCSE's (admittadly not difficult) surely they know the difference between right and wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    - Top Button undone

and the worst rule EVER

IF you have free periods in the morning (i.e lessons 1/2), you MUST register still at 8:45, like wtf???
    Jesus H Christ? Are you serious? I mean really, are you SERIOUS? thats a joke, punishing a top button being undone... wow. Talk about strict.

ReputationRep:
    and then stopping ay sort of rebellion or even voicing a viewpoint, so we can build up our anger and resentment for our school, good plan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    and who are intelligent enought to do GCSE's (admittadly not difficult) surely they know the difference between right and wrong.
    You'd think, wouldn't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Jesus H Christ? Are you serious? I mean really, are you SERIOUS? thats a joke, punishing a top button being undone... wow. Talk about strict.
    I am serious, i got to a indepedant school, we even have a head of behaviour, it is a joke.

We have this headmasters lunch thing also, he refuses to take any criticism on the uniform rules and such.
    Oh also, the teacher who helps put together the school paper (students one), vetoed an article on uniform rules.
    If only we had the resources to do it ourselves....*sighs*

ReputationRep:
    In my sixth form we started off with a few pathetic rules (like as someone said coming in for registration even if you have frees at the start of the day) but these rules got abolished simple because no1 kept to them. Ie no-one came to registation when they had frees in the morning so we got called to the head of sixth form, no-one still came so letters were sent home, no-one still came so in the end as not to look stupid the school had to back down and cancel the rules

ReputationRep:
    does your school/college have any really stupid rules with no reason behind them. for example at my school you cannot sit on the tables in the library since you might break them, (new librarian = new rules ) doesn't seem to realise none had broken in the 5 years before. you cannot talk in the silent room in the library even when there u and the person u are talking to are the only 2 people in the room. you cannot sing on school buses (dont know the reason) and dont even get me started on our school uniform regulations,
    also girls get way with so much uniform wise at our school it isnt even funny, does anyone else have any similar experiences.
    No talking in the library (the whole thing), barred from borrowing books if over 3 days late on a return. Not allowed to use hte computers or the tables that are ought of sight around the corner in the library. Have to do a min of 3 PSs in library but can get barred from library. So of course everyone talks and says ssssssssshhhhhh as much as they can. Our librarian, Blinky, is a pyscho.

There is even a six inch rule still in operation at our school, though i must be one of the only pupils to get told off for breaking it in the last 15 yrs. Same, girls are supposed to be in a tailored suit, but wear whatever they want, they pretned to crack down on them but never do. ( I don't mind it, the fit ones come in in tiny skirts, fat push up bras and low tops - alls gd ). There are more petty rules

ReputationRep:
    all of them

ReputationRep:
    The rules you're all talking about remind me so much of school!

I go to college and I think the freedom there has really allowed me to mature a lot, we get so much freedom, I really appreciate how beneficial it is. Alright we do stupid things and mess around quite a lot because we can but nothing cruel or harmful to other people.

Basically at college I think it's because you're treat like an adult so you generally end up acting like one. If I don't have a lesson then I can just go home, or go to the library to get some work done or revision if I want, but it's not compulsory, its your life and your education. If I don't have any lessons on a morning then I don't have to come in to college for the sake of coming in. Wednesdays are cool as I only have one single one hour lesson 12-1 and thats it. On Mondays Im finished by 12 and on Thursdays I don't start till 1.

Why can't you have facial hair at sixth form?! How in the hell does that make you a better student? Or allow you to do well in lessons or in exams? There's nothin like that at college, you can dress and look how you want, its great!

My friend goes to a sixth form and was sayin they got an inspection and the teachers brought chocolate in for them afterwards to thank them for being good, that just seems so patronizing to me, it would just never happen at college, no way, it's the kind of treatment we got when we were 14 not 18!

I don't mean this to sound offensive or be a big put down or anything, I'm just trying to say that I think the freedom of a college is a much better environment to be in at our age, its definitly allowed so much personal development for me as a person.

ReputationRep:
    I've been at my school for 5 yrs, i'm at sixth form now, the rules are so stupid, in the lower years our shirts had to be tucked in u had to hav a certain number of bands on your tie, you had to button up your blazer, now in sixth form its worst, they've banned wearing enland shirts, baseball caps, you're not allowed to pierce any part of your body which wil be shown. Its stupid really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albion)

I don't mean this to sound offensive or be a big put down or anything, I'm just trying to say that I think the freedom of a college is a much better environment to be in at our age, its definitly allowed so much personal development for me as a person.
    There are advantages, you tend to have better facilites at a sixth form. I admit hte freedom is desirous, but id bunk off more if i had that freedom. Also you are not in charge of younger pupils, many of the rules are to set a role model for younger pupils. I would say that swings both ways, its bad as you get less freedom but good as lets you have experiance of being in charge of other people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    There are advantages, you tend to have better facilites at a sixth form. I admit hte freedom is desirous, but id bunk off more if i had that freedom. Also you are not in charge of younger pupils, many of the rules are to set a role model for younger pupils. I would say that swings both ways, its bad as you get less freedom but good as lets you have experiance of being in charge of other people.
    I dunno man the college facilities are fine, very big library, helpful staff, plenty computers with internet access, printers ect. However you are definitly right about the temptation to skip lessons as you don't really get brought up about it unless you make a habit of it, even then at worst you'll get a letter sent home. The college will kick you off the course if you don't turn up to one lesson of a particular subject for 6 weeks but I dunno if its a bad thing, it just means the idiots at school who disrupted lessons because they didn't wanna be there aren't at college you know? Let them not turn up if they haven't got the ambition and are intent on stoppin other people do well, let them not get the qualifications thats fine its their choice, the same with people who just dont wanna learn any more or sit more exams and wanna go straight into work if they decide they dont like college, thats fine its their life.

But I do see some people who have the ability to do well skip lessons and stuff, to be honest I've done it myself but I'm definitly not gonna let it get outta hand. It makes you take more personal responsibilty and resisting temptations to go astray I suppose.

To be honest I don't care about being in charge of younger pupils, Im glad I don't have to do any of that, they did my head in at school when I was a prefect in year 11 and you tell the little buggers not to do stuff they shouldnt be doin and they ignore you or insult you, but maybe that was just my school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    - Top Button undone

and the worst rule EVER

u can't have facial hair? that's ****ed up man...like, seriously

ReputationRep:
    technically i did slightly lie there, you can if it relgious/cultural reason...otherwise no.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it's a universal thing about librarians being evil - our one was insane. She once chucked me out for BREATHING too loudly (seriously). Another time I was writing a skit with a friend, and I started laughing (note: quietly) at something she wrote. I got thrown out because "if I could laugh about it, it obviously wasn't school work." The fact that I was writing a COMEDY skit was apparently not relevent to my having laughed.

Ah, good times... relapses into nostalgia

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.