Turn on thread page Beta

Hacking watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    No, be better protected, and know more about the attacks than they do. Besides, hacking died a few years ago. It really is just another course to be learnt now.
    really? cause one of my friends programmed a neato thing which looks like a game when emailed, or a presentation but actually ran a program that collated alll the keystrokes/webpages used etc. And sent it back via email. Nice prog. Even got some screeenshots of the infected computer as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    really? cause one of my friends programmed a neato thing which looks like a game when emailed, or a presentation but actually ran a program that collated alll the keystrokes/webpages used etc. And sent it back via email. Nice prog. Even got some screeenshots of the infected computer as well.
    you mean something like a keylogger?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    you mean something like a keylogger?
    much more sophicated, can download word files etc. Very very dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    much more sophicated, can download word files etc. Very very dangerous.
    lovely, mind telling me a bit more when I return from work? cuz I gots to be going before I'm late.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    lovely, mind telling me a bit more when I return from work? cuz I gots to be going before I'm late.
    bye

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    You prove my point. Once upon a time, hacking was all about the guy at home, after a hard days work, or sometimes hard days being unemployed, sitting down in front of his computer and reading through source code, writing his own programmes for firewalls, routers, sniffers, smurfing etc. Now it is 'taught' as you so aptly put it. It is nothing more than another computer course to be learnt. When I first started learning about all this, I was able to programme an effective nuke. Such things are extinct now as any joe blow can just write a firewall that allows the user to select precisely which traffic is allowed, and which ports may be open etc at any one time. Hacking is dead. Now it really is just part of any computer science degree. Correct me if I'm wrong, but one entire module of a degree in computer science is devoted solely to IP Tables right? I leave you with a saying. -You will never be safe from hackers. Unless you're a better hacker- First thing a friend of mine learnt when he began a diploma in IT.

well in some things you are right but hacking is still very active just evolved, look at microsofts and linux securiry holes, there will always be a battle, internet is still a very unsafe place. as new technology comes out there is new hacking oportunities, when wireless networks came out, they where very unsafe and some companies dont have the right protection yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saintsin)
    well in some things you are right but hacking is still very active just evolved, look at microsofts and linux securiry holes, there will always be a battle, internet is still a very unsafe place. as new technology comes out there is new hacking oportunities, when wireless networks came out, they where very unsafe and some companies dont have the right protection yet.
    Fair point, I wasn't thinking of that.

ReputationRep:
    I think generally people are getting the terms "hacking" confused with "cracking".

A cracker is someone who breaks into someone else's computer system, often on a network; bypasses passwords or licenses in computer programs; or in other ways intentionally breaches computer security. A cracker can be doing this for profit, maliciously, for some altruistic purpose or cause, or because the challenge is there. Some breaking-and-entering has been done ostensibly to point out weaknesses in a site's security system.
    The term "cracker" is not to be confused with "hacker". Hackers generally deplore cracking. However, as Eric Raymond, compiler of The New Hacker's Dictionary notes, some journalists ascribe break-ins to "hackers."

Hacker is a term used by some to mean "a clever programmer" and by others, especially journalists or their editors, to mean "someone who tries to break into computer systems."
    1) Eric Raymond, compiler of The New Hacker's Dictionary, defines a hacker as a clever programmer. A "good hack" is a clever solution to a programming problem and "hacking" is the act of doing it. Raymond lists five possible characteristics that qualify one as a hacker, which we paraphrase here:

A person who enjoys learning details of a programming language or system
    A person who enjoys actually doing the programming rather than just theorizing about it
    A person capable of appreciating someone else's hacking
    A person who picks up programming quickly
    A person who is an expert at a particular programming language or system, as in "Unix hacker"

So which is it you are actually interested in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    I think generally people are getting the terms "hacking" confused with "cracking".

A cracker is someone who breaks into someone else's computer system, often on a network; bypasses passwords or licenses in computer programs; or in other ways intentionally breaches computer security. A cracker can be doing this for profit, maliciously, for some altruistic purpose or cause, or because the challenge is there. Some breaking-and-entering has been done ostensibly to point out weaknesses in a site's security system.
    The term "cracker" is not to be confused with "hacker". Hackers generally deplore cracking. However, as Eric Raymond, compiler of The New Hacker's Dictionary notes, some journalists ascribe break-ins to "hackers."

Hacker is a term used by some to mean "a clever programmer" and by others, especially journalists or their editors, to mean "someone who tries to break into computer systems."
    1) Eric Raymond, compiler of The New Hacker's Dictionary, defines a hacker as a clever programmer. A "good hack" is a clever solution to a programming problem and "hacking" is the act of doing it. Raymond lists five possible characteristics that qualify one as a hacker, which we paraphrase here:

A person who enjoys learning details of a programming language or system
    A person who enjoys actually doing the programming rather than just theorizing about it
    A person capable of appreciating someone else's hacking
    A person who picks up programming quickly
    A person who is an expert at a particular programming language or system, as in "Unix hacker"

So which is it you are actually interested in?
    I'm guessing by that definition, he wants to be a cracker. Although, I've come across pages giving exactly the opposite definition of the two. May as well say red hat and white hat lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    I'm guessing by that definition, he wants to be a cracker. Although, I've come across pages giving exactly the opposite definition of the two. May as well say red hat and white hat lol.
    Well if he's after cracking, he should go somewhere else. As the site is not supposed to encourage students to break the law. I don't think that people are really supposed to be giving links out for file sharing on a public forum; as the forum is not dis-couraging act.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Well if he's after cracking, he should go somewhere else. As the site is not supposed to encourage students to break the law. I don't think that people are really supposed to be giving links out for file sharing on a public forum; as the forum is not dis-couraging act.

meh. i dont wanna do anything bad, just more wanna know how.i was reading this thing and i dont know what its for. you know when you go to run, and enter command, you get that ms dos thingy. well i read that if you write:

nbtstat a- 'ip address'

without speech marks you can bring up the details of someones computer. is this true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felixjmorgan)
    meh. i dont wanna do anything bad, just more wanna know how.i was reading this thing and i dont know what its for. you know when you go to run, and enter command, you get that ms dos thingy. well i read that if you write:

nbtstat a- 'ip address'

without speech marks you can bring up the details of someones computer. is this true?
    netstat an- in fact depends on your os, it tells you the IP address, not much else.

ReputationRep:

nbtstat a- 'ip address'

It's pretty obvious that you are trying to get into someone machine by the netbios ...
    That's lammer...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    so are you saying that to be safe from hacking, you must hack others?
    No because hacking is protecting yourslef and wnating to know about computers, crackers are the ones who hack others.

oops, someone else has already posted a better definition

ReputationRep:

nbtstat a- 'ip address'

Maybe your computer, but not anyone else's. Where did you read that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternal Idol)
    It's pretty obvious that you are trying to get into someone machine by the netbios ...
    That's lammer...

lammer? btw- soz im so slow everyone. im only 15 and have only been using computers for less than a year. all i know is html and javascript. i dont know any programming atm, but im lookin to get into it soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Maybe your computer, but not anyone else's. Where did you read that?

okay, so theres no way to use msdos to get into someone elses even if you know their ip?

ReputationRep:
    okay, so theres no way to use msdos to get into someone elses even if you know their ip?

Actually nbtstat.exe isn't a DOS program, it's a Windows one, PE32 format.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternal Idol)
    Actually nbtstat.exe isn't a DOS program, it's a Windows one, PE32 format.

okay, but that doesnt help me. could you help me please

ReputationRep:
    http://www.astalavista.com/trojans/

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 20, 2003
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.