The Student Room Group

Adaptations of sieve tube elements and companion cells

What are the adaptations of the sieve tube elements and companion cells?

thanks
Reply 1
Errm, never learnt about their adaptations sorry. :frown:

As an educated guess: Companion cells probably have more mitochondria than usual in order to provide sufficient ATP for both cell's life processes.
Reply 2
Both companion cells and sieve tube elements are living to allow active process, have plasmodesmata to allow sucrose to pass between the cells

Companion cells have lots of mitochondria for active pumping of hydrogen ions across its membrane, they have a nucleus so they can control the activities of the sieve tube element as well as itself

Sieve tube element has limited cytoplasm, very few organelles and no nucleus, so there is no resistance for the sugar solution to pass through (ease of flow). End walls (sieve plates) have pores in to allow solution through
atman7
What are the adaptations of the sieve tube elements and companion cells?

thanks

Sieve tube elements - Their end walls form sieve plates. These have large pores which enable the movement of material from one cell to another.

They also don't have a nucleus (to have a thin layer of cytoplasm), hence the need for:

Companion cells - They have a nucleus :smile: Plasmodesmata connect the 2 cells for rapid exchange of materials (especially, in this case, rRNA transcribed from DNA in companion cells).
Reply 4
What Is A Companion Cell And Sieve Tube Element?
I Have Been Studying Thisd And I Dont Understand ?
Is The Companion Cel The The Which Helps Transport The Sugar To The Sieve Elemnt?
Is The Sieve Element The Cell That Requires The Sugars??
Sorry For The Caps Lock Just Realised
Reply 5
bagabaga
What Is A Companion Cell And Sieve Tube Element?
I Have Been Studying Thisd And I Dont Understand ?
Is The Companion Cel The The Which Helps Transport The Sugar To The Sieve Elemnt?
Is The Sieve Element The Cell That Requires The Sugars??
Sorry For The Caps Lock Just Realised

Ok, im not very good myself on this topic but here goes:-

The companion cells use ATP to carry out active processes such as loading the sugars (mainly sucrose) into the sieve tubes.

Also the sieve tubes and the sieve plates located inside them are basically phloem. Phloem transports sugars up and down the plant.

Sieve plates and sieve tubes ARE sieve tube elements. The sieve plates located at various intervals in the sieve tubes contain many pores which allow the sap (which includes the sugers) to flow.

The companion cells are there to help with active processes required by the sieve tube elements. This is why they contain a lot of mitochondria hence making a lot of ATP.

Hope this helps you! :smile:
Reply 6
apo1324
Ok, im not very good myself on this topic but here goes:-

The companion cells use ATP to carry out active processes such as loading the sugars (mainly sucrose) into the sieve tubes.

Also the sieve tubes and the sieve plates located inside them are basically phloem. Phloem transports sugars up and down the plant.

Sieve plates and sieve tubes ARE sieve tube elements. The sieve plates located at various intervals in the sieve tubes contain many pores which allow the sap (which includes the sugers) to flow.

The companion cells are there to help with active processes required by the sieve tube elements. This is why they contain a lot of mitochondria hence making a lot of ATP.

Hope this helps you! :smile:

yes it did it kinda summed it all up for me
thanks
Thank you so much, very helpful! :smile:

Quick Reply