Turn on thread page Beta

books watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i guess im new to reading, i never enjoyed it as a child but i recently picked up "The Godfather" and seriously couldnt put it down. i guess its just down to taste of genre, so im asking if people could put suggestions down to good books. i love good snappy story lines, not overly complicated language and im a romantic at heart

thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    catcher in the rye.

ReputationRep:
    thanks

any more people?

ReputationRep:
    I loved To Kill a Mockingbird.

ReputationRep:
    yeah definitely. its the only book we were forced to read at school, that i loved.

ReputationRep:
    maybe you can get an idea from this http://www.uk-learning.net/showthread.php?t=18999

ReputationRep:
    Anne of Green Gables is a great book

ReputationRep:
    For a book of short stories, give I, Robot - Isaac Asimov a look, in fact any of his robot series are top class

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DevilsDoor)
    For a book of short stories, give I, Robot - Isaac Asimov a look, in fact any of his robot series are top class
    They certainly are. Also, Robert Ludlum's 'The Bourne Identity' was pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    Any Tim Powers book, The Anubis Gates, Declare, On Stranger Tides, The Drawing of the Dark,etc.

The Castle by Franz Kafka.
    Murderers in the Rue Morgue by Edgar Allan Poe.
    The man who was Thursday, The Wisdmon of Father Brown, The Innocence of father Brown by Gill Keith Chesterton.
    The Count of Montecristo by Alexandre Dumas.
    Red and Black by Stendhal.

Anything wrote by Friedrich Nietzsche ('On the Genealogy of Morality' specially)

Post Office by Charles Bukowski.

ReputationRep:
    Try Catch 22.

Classic.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    Of Mice and Men (John Steinbeck) is one of the most complete novels ever published.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Of Mice and Men (John Steinbeck) is one of the most complete novels ever published.
    The Grapes of Wrath is also an excellent Steinbeck classic.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olive)
    i guess im new to reading, i never enjoyed it as a child but i recently picked up "The Godfather" and seriously couldnt put it down. i guess its just down to taste of genre, so im asking if people could put suggestions down to good books. i love good snappy story lines, not overly complicated language and im a romantic at heart

thanks in advance
    romantic at heart - Daphne du maurier, quite slow though (ps the best is the King's General). Catch 22 is awesome but quite complicated to gtet your head around. Read - Les Miserables - great book. There are loads, you are just going to have to go int oa booksop, look where you find the books that you like and look around.

ReputationRep:
    Also Brave New World - Aldous Huxley and 1984 - George Orwell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hells Bells)
    Also Brave New World - Aldous Huxley and 1984 - George Orwell
    Nice nick, AC\DC rules.

ReputationRep:
    A Little Prince by Saint de-Exupery or something that goes like that.

Like Water for Chocolate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyblitzer)
    A Little Prince by Saint de-Exupery or something that goes like that.

Like Water for Chocolate
    Le Petit Prince is very nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternal Idol)
    Any Tim Powers book, The Anubis Gates, Declare, On Stranger Tides, The Drawing of the Dark,etc.

The Castle by Franz Kafka.
    Murderers in the Rue Morgue by Edgar Allan Poe.
    The man who was Thursday, The Wisdmon of Father Brown, The Innocence of father Brown by Gill Keith Chesterton.
    The Count of Montecristo by Alexandre Dumas.
    Red and Black by Stendhal.

Anything wrote by Friedrich Nietzsche ('On the Genealogy of Morality' specially)

Post Office by Charles Bukowski.

Charterhouse of Parma was Stendhals better work in my opinion.
    Nietzsche and Bukowski, you?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    Le Petit Prince is very nice.
    Thats a classic!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2003
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.