The Student Room Group

Advice needed on path to Phd Economics

Hi Guys

I would like to get some advice on getting a Phd in Economics. My questions are as follow:

Is it necessary to do a Masters in a top uni like LSE to do a Phd in LSE? Taking into consideration the costs involved, it would be cheaper to go to places like Warwick and Cambridge. Is it likely for one who obtains distinction in these schs to get in to Phd in LSE?

Is the premium for going to LSE instead of the other schs justified? Does going to LSE increase the chances of a good placement substantially?

What is the reputation like in Europe/Worldwide for Warwick and Cambridge in terms of economics. Will a Phd from these schs give one a good chance to pursue academia?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Perhaps you can do your Bsc at <insert uni here> and then apply for the masters at LSE?
Reply 2
Hi,

Do you already hold a BSc/BA in Economics?

Reputation wise for Economics i think it goes as follows:

1. LSE
2. UCL
3. Oxford
4. Cambridge
5. Warwick
6. Nottingham
7. Essex

Of those, I believe only LSE has an outstanding placement record for PhDs (i.e. do a MSc at LSE and go on to do a PhD at a top uni) in the USA and the job market in general (i.e. do a PhD at LSE --> professorship at Top Uni).

In European terms the first five will suffice to land you a good job or get you into pretty much any PhD programme I think.

This is THE forum for Economics PhDs:

http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/
Reply 3
Here is a site for economics PhDs that will give you a dose of reality.
PhD students, post-doc job market candidates and the demand side post there.
http://www.econjobrumors.com/
Read it carefully and observe the desperation of those looking for jobs after completing their PhDs.
Reply 4
If you want to do a LSE PhD then it isn't necessary to have done your masters there, although of course it does help. Passing with Distinction at any of the other unis you mention should get you entry to a LSE PhD.

Whether the premium for going to LSE is justified? I think not because there are other excellent programs which equip you with the same skills for much less. The big advantage with LSE is that it has many, many academic staff with top US PhDs and they may provide you with an edge if you ultimately want to go to America.

On the international scene, a Cambridge PhD is only slightly below LSE. Warwick is less well-known outside the UK. Having said that, how successful you are in academia ultimately depends on your own personal qualities and much less on the name of the school where you got your PhD.

Latest

Trending

Trending