The Student Room Group

I want to go on the pill...

please keep anon

I want to go on the pill, me and my boyfriend are becoming more active and we want to have sex but i've told him it's a no go untill I'm on the pill. but i don't know how to go about it. Sounds really gay but i'm a pretty shy person. Where's it easiest to go to? Somewhere like a sexual health clinic or GP? Did you go with anyone when you went the first time? like best friend? Thanks everyone, means a lot :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I went to my GP.

I didn't go in with anyone, but my boyfriend waited outside (I didn't go in for the pill as I can't have it for health reasons, so I went in to see what options there were; had it been as simple as walking in and asking for it, I'd've gone by myself.).

There is lots of information on the Wiki; I recommend looking round before you settle for the pill, as I find it's probably the worst contraception type! Ask for GP/clinician for more advice. Also, don't be afraid to change brands if the first one you are given (if you use the pill) sucks.

Good luck and have fun :wink:

Jessica x
Reply 2
Not that Ive been on the pill, (being a guy and all), but honestly... just go to your GP. However shy/embarrassed you might feel your GP will have had the same conversation a million times with people in exactley the same position, s/he isn't going to judge you or anything like that, won't even bat an eyelid they will have had the conversation that many times in the past
Reply 3
Anonymous
please keep anon
Sounds really gay but i'm a pretty shy person.

Yes it's incredibly gay :rolleyes:

Anonymous

Where's it easiest to go to? Somewhere like a sexual health clinic or GP?

Just go to your Docs...asumming you're old enough you wont need perental consent.
I went to the family planning clinic first on my own, hated the staff and had a thoroughly unpleasant experience with their clinic nurse who was incredibly rude. Then after 4 months of being on a pill that was clearly making me ill, I went to my GP with my mum and got put on something else.

Go to your GP :yep:
Reply 5
NW86
Not that Ive been on the pill, (being a guy and all)

Maybe I should have mentioned this too..? :ahee:
Reply 6
Just ask your GP :smile:

Hello, how can I help?
Hi, I'd like to go on the contraceptive pill.
Okay.

They might ask if you know about other forms of contraception, why you want to go on the pill (period regulation, or actual contraception, or whatever), etc. Just say what you want, they'll probably check your blood pressure and weight, ask you a few questions, and prescribe you a few months all being well.
I've been on microgynon for about 6 months and found it absolutely great.

Other girls have different preferences though, and different pills have different effects on different people :p:

I went with my mum to the GP's get the minipill (not microgynon) when I was maybe 15 - because of not wanting periods on holiday.
When I was 18 I went to the GP to get it because I was sleeping with my boyfriend, and because of heavy/unpleasant periods.
I've since seen a nurse to get an emergency top up at the beginning of uni, because I didn't have enough from home.
I then saw a doctor to get some at uni and discuss having the implant.

I'm now on the implant, but am taking the pill just to even out irregular periods initially.

None of these occasions were the least bit embarrassing. As a rule, I would say doctors/nurses/whoever are completely used to and happy with dishing out the pill. They want to encourage young people into having safer, more sensible sex - and this includes contraception. If anything, you get approval rather than disapproval.

If they're young, they are likely to be taking, or have friends/girlfriends who are taking long-term contraceptives, if they are older, often they might have daughters taking contraceptives - I mean medical staff are humans too!

Basically - just go and do it :p:

The less nervous/shy/embarrassed you are about your request the less embarrassing it will be, honest.

Unless you have a major religious/lifestyle objection, it's like any other medication.
Also, you don't need parental consent, regardless of your age, so long as you are competent and are capable of showing you understand the reasons for taking the pill/possible consequences.

I mean they might have an issue with it if you were 12/13, and they would certainly encourage you to discuss things with your parents, but even at that age you could get contraception by yourself.
I went to see the nurse at our well woman clinic (since that is their job). You shouldn't be shy about it, since you will not be the first or the last :no:.
I took my mum with me to my GP when I asked to go on the Pill, but then I take my mum with me whenever I go to the doctors lol.
I didn't go specifically for the pill but asked whilst I was there. She gave me all the options and I decided on the implant instead. Means not having to remember to take a pill which is ideal for me.
I just had it put in today. :smile:
Rorschach>
I didn't go specifically for the pill but asked whilst I was there. She gave me all the options and I decided on the implant instead. Means not having to remember to take a pill which is ideal for me.
I just had it put in today. :smile:
Ooh, you've got the implant. May I be nosey and ask what made you choose that over the pill?

I've been looking at getting the implant, but the information about it really put me off - irregular bleeding and such for upto a year.

What made you go for the implant and did it hurt to have it implanted?
Reply 13
Ilora-Danon
Ooh, you've got the implant. May I be nosey and ask what made you choose that over the pill?

I've been looking at getting the implant, but the information about it really put me off - irregular bleeding and such for upto a year.

Also have the implant, it's one of those things you've got to try to know how it's going to affect you really, two of my friends happened to get it at around the same time, one bled continuously for ages and had to have it taken out (which is so easy to do, so even if you do have side-effects you don't have to deal with them for ages if it's not working) the other hasn't had a period at all since having it put in (except the initial one that everyone gets) and I've had irregular mild bleeding for the past year...which now seems to have stopped completely. It's really straightened out my moods and even when I have had periods they haven't had all the horrible side affects and are less painful. I'm quite forgetful so didn't think the pill would work for me and wanted something long term :smile:

As far as having it implanted goes if you can stand an injection it feels the same...I barely noticed it :giggle:
well i went alone to my gp and just thought of it as any normal check up appointment. it doesn't take long you just have to answer a few questions and get your blood pressure done and your done! easy peasy no emabrassasments no nothing. SO much better to be on the pill, although make sure you have an alarm on your hpone or whatever for when you take it daily because it is easy to forget (Y)
Reply 15
I went alone to my GP, said: "I'd like to go on the pill, please," and then he prescribed me some pills. Then I figured out they didn't suit me, went back, said: "I'd like some different pills, please," and he prescribed me some different pills. Easy. :3
Go to the GP, smile and ask! :smile: They'll give you all the options you could take instead of the pill (I think they have to offer :s), they'll weight you and take blood pressure, and ask you some family history questions (just stuff like history of breast cancer, history of young heart attack etc because of the risks involved), whether you smoke etc, and then they'll prescribe you some if it's all clear. My doctors have a policy of starting everyone who wants to go on them with Microgynon, and then changing from there if it doesn't suit, to find one that works. You aren't the first, you wont be the last, and more women are on it than you think!!

Oh, and the sexual health clinic is a good way of just picking up more supplies. I'm registered with the docs at uni, so I go to the docs when I'm there and go to the clinic for supplies at home. As a hint, the clinics have their own records and don't have access to when you last had a prescription from the docs etc, so they're useful for stockpiling a few months more than the docs gave you once your settled on one. Nurse at the clinic when I was there last told me it can be useful to skip between the two sources so you always have a spare/emergency supply on hand should you lose a pack or something.
Reply 17
I went on the pill for the same reasons and Im also quite shy and easily embarrassed but its not as bad as you think.

Just book an appointment with your GP, maybe ask to see a female GP if you prefer, and just tell them that you would to go on the pill. You can go on your own or bring someone along if you like.

They'll ask you a few questions like have you been on it before, are you in a relationship, explain how and what you do. My GP printed off some info for me too so you can ask them to do that for you too. They may also take your blood pressure too.

They'll probably put you on Microgyen first because thats the cheapest one available on the NHS but if you don't like being on that one, and find yourself having side effects, then just go back and ask to be put on another one. Thats what happened to me and this new one is much better. Everyone reacts differently to different ones.

All in all, it probably took 10/15 mins at most (appointment wise) and you just go back every 6 months for a check up.
Ilora-Danon

I'm really forgetful about taking stuff & I can't swallow pills! Even very small ones as I found out when trying to take antihistamines :P She also gave me the injection as an option.
What I liked about the implant is that it can be injected in and forgot about for 3 years, no keeping alarms for the pill, not having to go back for a top up injection. Plus when I decide to have children, it can come straight out and she said there isn't a wait to be fertile again. (: Oh! And the fact it stops your periods = heaven. I was nearly in hospital a few years back.

Well the nurse told me the irregular bleeding should only be for the first 3 months whilst it settles down. However, like Skipp said, it's different for everyone. Quite scared about what is to come but hoping it'll die down quick. She also said if it is bad, you can get some tablets from the doctors to help with that whilst the hormones level themselves out.

When I got the implant from the pharmacy I freaked out a bit because the needle is huge (according to the nurse it's not actually that scary). She gives you a local anaesthetic (same as what they use in dentistry) which completely numbs the area. That was the only bit that hurt and I could feel when she was taking the needle back out. You have to wear a bandage for 48 hours to stop dirt getting in. Feeling sore now that it's worn off, understandable! (:
Rorschach>
I'm really forgetful about taking stuff & I can't swallow pills! Even very small ones as I found out when trying to take antihistamines :P She also gave me the injection as an option.
What I liked about the implant is that it can be injected in and forgot about for 3 years, no keeping alarms for the pill, not having to go back for a top up injection. Plus when I decide to have children, it can come straight out and she said there isn't a wait to be fertile again. (: Oh! And the fact it stops your periods = heaven. I was nearly in hospital a few years back.

Well the nurse told me the irregular bleeding should only be for the first 3 months whilst it settles down. However, like Skipp said, it's different for everyone. Quite scared about what is to come but hoping it'll die down quick. She also said if it is bad, you can get some tablets from the doctors to help with that whilst the hormones level themselves out.

When I got the implant from the pharmacy I freaked out a bit because the needle is huge (according to the nurse it's not actually that scary). She gives you a local anaesthetic (same as what they use in dentistry) which completely numbs the area. That was the only bit that hurt and I could feel when she was taking the needle back out. You have to wear a bandage for 48 hours to stop dirt getting in. Feeling sore now that it's worn off, understandable! (:
Thanks for answering my nosey questions :smile: Yeah I read on netdoctor or something about it taking a year to settle down. Bah. Think I'll just stick with the pill; try yet another pill lol.

Quick Reply

Latest