Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok why is US policy so hated? compare it with other goverments what would you prefer a capitalist, communist or facist governing body? look how communism failed and depresive it was to the people and economy, hmm in a dictatorship dont even bother to raise a though or you just might get shot.

In a capitalist goverment people at least can protest, have a dream and speak their mind, do that in the other kind of goverments its a jail sentence, exile or even death.

The more religious dependant the country is the more backwards their society.. just like Europe was 500 years ago, no rights for women what so ever and other life freedoms.

Look at countries with dictatorship goverments, there is no economy, constantly at war, innocent people dying of hunger.

no country is perfect but at least USA is a better one compared to others.

i seen here a poster mixing bush with hitler... what would you mix saddam with? Satan.... Bust maby not a good president but at least he is a democratic and if the people dont like him then he wont be in power, try that with saddam, impossible until US helped.

I hope im gonna get a constructive argument.

ReputationRep:
    This might be a rather pessimistic view but I feel people are going to be dissatisfied with their government in some way no matter how successful their policies are. There will always be something to complain about, since no method of governing has been shown to be perfect. I guess the main complaint around now is that Bush is meddling too much in foreign affairs (and with some regrettable results), i.e. Afghanistan, Iraq - it doesn't compare favourably with other presidents particularly when Bush Snr's record is taken into account.
    What worries me most is the increasingly large split between the perceived Western ideologies of 'justice' and 'freedom' which is led by Britain and the USA, and the supporters of more radical groups - including the anti-Western terrorist threat. There's a lot of propaganda on both sides and this will only lead to more misunderstanding and conflict.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't one of the arguments that the election of Bush was anything but democratic?

Also, isn't a diverse range of ideas something which the US also lacks (thanks to networks like FOX)

Also, death penalty isn't cool, I don't think that gets you much kudos from the nice european countries.

ReputationRep:
    i don't hate America.

ReputationRep:
    hehehehehheheheh they used george DOUBLEYOU bush and democracy in the same sentance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peace)
    Ok why is US policy so hated? compare it with other goverments what would you prefer a capitalist, communist or facist governing body? look how communism failed and depresive it was to the people and economy, hmm in a dictatorship dont even bother to raise a though or you just might get shot.

In a capitalist goverment people at least can protest, have a dream and speak their mind, do that in the other kind of goverments its a jail sentence, exile or even death.

The more religious dependant the country is the more backwards their society.. just like Europe was 500 years ago, no rights for women what so ever and other life freedoms.

Look at countries with dictatorship goverments, there is no economy, constantly at war, innocent people dying of hunger.

i seen here a poster mixing bush with hitler... what would you mix saddam with? Satan.... Bust maby not a good president but at least he is a democratic and if the people dont like him then he wont be in power, try that with saddam, impossible until US helped.

OK, I'll try and fight the opposing side although I'm not really sure where I stand on this one. I think a lot of people have a problem with the way America seems to view itself: the American government seems to feel that because it is the last remaining superpower it is above all the other countries in the world and can therefore ignore them. To give some examples: the Kyoto global warming treaty, which the US refused to sign, and Guantanamo bay: the vast majority of the international community is against the detention without charge of those prisoners. By refusing to call them prisoners of war, and therefore not allowing itself to be bound by international law, America has managed to keep them in limbo for - what is it now? - two years?

The thing about Bush and Hitler - a lot of people are very worried that Mr Bush is a bit of a loose cannon - liable to go off without warning. The US just led an invasion of another country because they said there were weapons of mass destruction there. We have yet to find any traces of these weapons - and yes, it's a great thing that Saddam was overthrown because he was an evil, sick and twisted man - but we weren't told we were going to war just to depose him. We were led into war under false pretences. Not something people tend to like! Oh, and the fact that he was put there by the Americans in the first place doesn't help.

I think people tend to view the Americans as rushing into things too much, overall. They were very good after September 11 - really paused and thought things through, took time to check their facts. I respected them for that. But a lot of their susbsequent and previous actions have been bery impulsive and they do seem almost to think that they're above the law. There's more I could say but I don't want to write loads of massive posts today - have written more than enough already!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peace)

You'll get a constructive argument when I get back from work, but the short answer is that the basic ethos of the USA stinks, oh and your leader is a complete and utter ****wit. "weapon of mass destructions" saying the whole term as a plural. Amazing what that C average from Yale will do.

ReputationRep:
    Four words sum up my constructive argument:

"they changed our spelling" :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_guy)
    Four words sum up my constructive argument:

"they changed our spelling" :mad:
    And how long ago was that, hmmm?
    GET OVER IT ALREADY!

ReputationRep:
    well i see some nice arguments comming along... thanks for some from not being too shallow minded and at least speak facts.

oh before people get ideas im not american im not from a natural english speaking country neither.

im not very good at history or politics but i know some people study it thats why i like to hear what responses i get.

but didnt usa help afghanistan during the USSR invasion? im sure id USSR was still active they would be the most oppressive goverment off all.

the september terrorist act? why, i dont think usa launches random missiles at islamic people to terrorise.

yeah WMD where a poor excuse but then again Bush is also a pawn, controlled and informed by his advisers, but at least he could not have done anything with out congress, saddam could just invade iran and kuwait with out asking or justification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    And how long ago was that, hmmm?
    GET OVER IT ALREADY!
    make me

ReputationRep:
    make me
    Don't make me come over there!
    Oh, wait your that scary picture guy nevermind, do go on!

ReputationRep:
    I kinda see their policy as global dictatorship. They don't really seem to give a crap or have any real respect for other nations unless something's in their interest. They're policy's a bit selfish and evil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peace)

Here here!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toyosi)
    I kinda see their policy as global dictatorship. They don't really seem to give a crap or have any real respect for other nations unless something's in their interest. They're policy's a bit selfish and evil.
    Yes well considering that in their declaration by Bush they declared that in principle they must remain the world's superpower.

And everybody hates the big guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peace)

I'll provide you with one even though your own isnt exactly impressive.
    The USA is an extremely religious society. A higher percentage of the population attend a place of worship regularly than in most other countries, especially western ones. By your definition that makes it backward and lacking in rights for women. Care to comment?
    You also said that one of the characteristics of a dictatorship was constant war. Now the USA hasnt exactly been slow to involve itself in conflict has it? I'm not commenting on whether they were right to do so since its irrelevant, but again the US is matching one of your dictatorship criteria. Interesting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Yes well considering that in their declaration by Bush they declared that in principle they must remain the world's superpower.

And everybody hates the big guys.
    This is how I see it. See if you can guess the political status of each character here:

Bully: oi! have you got the same pen-knife as me?
    Boy: no
    Bully: yes you have
    Boy: no I haven't
    Bully: ok then, prove it. Let me send in some spies to watch over you
    Boy: get lost
    Bully: you have 3 days to say yes. If you don't I'm gonna kill you
    Boy: who the hell are you to make threats?
    Bully: I'm bigger than you
    Thug: better do as he says or I'll help him kill you
    Boy: no, leave me alone

3 days pass

Bully: well? You gonna let me spy on you?
    Bully: you must have something to hide then
    <boy gets stabbed with the pen-knife>
    <boy dies>
    Bully: you are my best friend
    Thug: woof woof!

ReputationRep:
    This is how I see it. See if you can guess the political status of each character here:

Bully: oi! have you got the same pen-knife as me?
    Bully: yes you have
    Boy: no I haven't
    Bully: ok then, prove it. Let me send in some spies to watch over you
    Boy: get lost
    Bully: you have 3 days to say yes. If you don't I'm gonna kill you
    Boy: who the hell are you to make threats?
    Bully: I'm bigger than you
    Thug: better do as he says or I'll help him kill you
    Boy: no, leave me alone

3 days pass

Bully: well? You gonna let me spy on you?
    Bully: you must have something to hide then
    <boy gets stabbed with the pen-knife>
    <boy dies>
    Bully: you are my best friend
    Thug: woof woof!
    That about sums it up! Well done, nice one

ReputationRep:
    lol very impressed by this play.

Deserves nomination as most artistic charachter in UKL.

Well UK is like got WW2 debts over them (something in the region of hundreds of billions) from america who "lent/leased" material to them. But america isnt claiming the debt not yet. It is like a whip, forcing uk to do whatever america wants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    I'll provide you with one even though your own isnt exactly impressive.
    The USA is an extremely religious society. A higher percentage of the population attend a place of worship regularly than in most other countries, especially western ones. By your definition that makes it backward and lacking in rights for women. Care to comment?
    You also said that one of the characteristics of a dictatorship was constant war. Now the USA hasnt exactly been slow to involve itself in conflict has it? I'm not commenting on whether they were right to do so since its irrelevant, but again the US is matching one of your dictatorship criteria. Interesting!
    not extremely religous, more liberal, and certanly dont use it fanaticaly as some countries to control wars.

war is wrong AND let he who has not sined cast the first stone, but most modern wars USA have been involved have been to help countries, not conquer, although true usa have been opportunist at some excuses but iraq will not belong to america, afghanistan will not belong to america, vietnam did not belong to america.

war in afghanistan would not have happened if the ruling goverment had handed in osama, war in iraq would not have happened if saddam would have exiled.

i dont see usa exterminating people like, nazi germany, USSR, saddam, Pol pot and many other dictatorship goverments.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.