The Student Room Group
Reply 1
hmmmmmm any1??
Reply 2
having good things in the reference is good as it shows off all your qualities
you shouldnt worry too much about it.
Reply 3
well alrite thanx..just wanted 2 make sure lol
References are similar to personal statements in the sense that they should focus only on the positive aspects about you rather than anything negative. It might say somewhere on www.ucas.com how long they should be.
Reply 5
i shouldn't have thought it would be a problem, as long as the praise is well-deserved (which, i imagine, it would be if that's what a teacher wrote). my reference didn't have any negative points that i can remember, and if anything i'd say that that really helped me.
Reply 6
nemo199
hi ppl..i needed sum help...AGAIN LOL. well my teacher wrote up a reference and it has alot of good things about me in it ( :biggrin: ) but do u ppl think it will sound to cheesy with too many gud things. shud it also include wat im not very gud at? and also its quite short, does it have to b really long? i think its about 200 words only..

thanx

nemo

It's good that you have a lot of positive things in your reference! It depends what the teacher thinks about you. Since you have a lot of positive things, I guess you don't have anything negative. I assume you are predicted A/B, that's why. :p:

One of my friends don't have any negative comments, as he is hard working and predicted all A's.

Not sure about the length of a teachers reference. It depends how many lines it allows on the teacher's account. For my reference, it was less than 10-15 lines.
Reply 7
I write UCAS references for my students and we are also restricted - we can have about 5/6 lines for an intro, about 6 lines for each subject and then a 'tail' of about 5/ 6 lines including additional points and support for candidate. So what we write has to be concise, we're not given a huge space (slightly less than the Personal Statement I think)
Reply 8
Geogger
I write UCAS references for my students and we are also restricted - we can have about 5/6 lines for an intro, about 6 lines for each subject and then a 'tail' of about 5/ 6 lines including additional points and support for candidate. So what we write has to be concise, we're not given a huge space (slightly less than the Personal Statement I think)

I thought the teacher's reference will have a bit more lines than personal statements. I think they should have more lines for teachers references though. Why do teacher's reference get slightly less lines than personal statements?

I was right about each subject having less than 10 lines to write a reference then.
Reply 9
Yes, in our school each subject teacher has to provide a ucas paragraph for each student and they are restricted to 6 lines. I know it's quite tight to fit it all in!
Reply 10
Geogger
Yes, in our school each subject teacher has to provide a ucas paragraph for each student and they are restricted to 6 lines. I know it's quite tight to fit it all in!

The techer's reference should have more amount of lines than personal statement, as the teachers should kind of promote/sell the student to the universty. Therefore, having more lines, the teachers could express more about a student. :redface:

Of course there would be an overall line limit for the teachers reference. Most students would do 3 A-levels. What if a teacher is writing for a student with 4-5 A-levels, there would be a chance of not fitting the stuff in the reference.
Reply 11
trev
The techer's reference should have more amount of lines than personal statement, as the teachers should kind of promote/sell the student to the universty. Therefore, having more lines, the teachers could express more about a student. :redface:

Of course there would be an overall line limit for the teachers reference. Most students would do 3 A-levels. What if a teacher is writing for a student with 4-5 A-levels, there would be a chance of not fitting the stuff in the reference.

You have to keep in the important stuff and make sure if you can't include the fact that the student represented school / local area/ county at Cross-coutry, the the student MUST do that on their PS - I'm sure its the student's PS that is more important, the teacher's one is used for predicted grades first, a general read through to make sure that the comments support the grades and that the school fully supports the student and it may be particularly helpful if there are several candidates to choose from. The person who might know this from the Uni point of view is PQ.
Reply 12
cool thanx every1.. well now my doubts are cleared..:smile:
Reply 13
I've just got my info from school about the teacher ref and it is a max of 34 lines, 1.5cm margins and size 12 font - no more!
wtf! My reference was only 6 lines!!!!! The reference sheet our school provides is utter rubbish, you should be proud that you're reference was LONG and POSITIVE

Latest

Trending

Trending