Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently planning to apply next year (entry 2005) to either oxford or cambridge to study Geography, i am predicted all As at A-level but i am not sure if my GCSE grades are up to the standard they may expect. Could anybody tell me if these grades would be good enough for me to stand a chance of being able to gain entrance.

Chemistry A*
    Geography A*
    Information Tech. A*
    Mathematics A*
    Business Studies A
    French A
    English Language A
    English Literature A
    Biology A
    Physics A

If you could possibly inform me it would be very helpful.

Thanks,
    Rob

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob24601)
    I am currently planning to apply next year (entry 2005) to either oxford or cambridge to study Geography, i am predicted all As at A-level but i am not sure if my GCSE grades are up to the standard they may expect. Could anybody tell me if these grades would be good enough for me to stand a chance of being able to gain entrance.

Chemistry A*
    Geography A*
    Information Tech. A*
    Mathematics A*
    Business Studies A
    French A
    English Language A
    English Literature A
    Biology A
    Physics A

Thanks,
    Rob
    yes definitely, up to scratch as it were. Mainly dependant on as grades

ReputationRep:
    Great grades, better than mine.

Applying to Oxbridge is a stressful, miserable experience IMO, I wouldn't wish it upon anybody. Though I would say you have to try, don't you.

ReputationRep:
    with those grades ou'd be lucky to get into TVU j/k

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    with those grades ou'd be lucky to get into TVU j/k
    or Newcastle polytechnic (j/k)

Seriously, that is a standard set of results for oxbridge candidates

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Applying to Oxbridge is a stressful, miserable experience IMO, I wouldn't wish it upon anybody.
    It doesn't have to be if you give it a shot, realise that rejection is not the be all and end all, and make the most of your interview period.

As for your results, you have a string of straight A*/A's so I don't know what you're worried about.

Jools (Ox Geographer with 2B's at AS)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    It doesn't have to be if you give it a shot, realise that rejection is not the be all and end all, and make the most of your interview period.

As for your results, you have a string of straight A*/A's so I don't know what you're worried about.

how did u get to ox with 2 Bs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    how did u get to ox with 2 Bs?
    AABB at AS I meant (and an A in GS)... but had good GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)

It's just so very hard to suspend your desires in order to keep down the rejection-worry monster. Many conceed that it is the most important thing in the world to them (at least at the time), and as soon as you do you can't help but be a desparate ball of anguish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    It's just so very hard to suspend your desires in order to keep down the rejection-worry monster. Many conceed that it is the most important thing in the world to them (at least at the time), and as soon as you do you can't help but be a desparate ball of anguish.

It is hard. I found the best thing I could do was assume I was out and plan for it. I was going to go to France for a gap year... got quite excited about it, and then the offer came and it was all off! Almost disappointing (well, obviously not but... I would have liked to go to France...)

I DO like your signature

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    It is hard. I found the best thing I could do was assume I was out and plan for it. I was going to go to France for a gap year... got quite excited about it, and then the offer came and it was all off! Almost disappointing (well, obviously not but... I would have liked to go to France...)

I DO like your signature
    Yes. I wholly expect a rejection, and I'm sure there will be closure if so. I'm going to California for Christmas on Sunday anyway, so I'll hopefully take my mind off things, as for GAP years, it's not really an option for me (maths), and so extra regret lies underneath.

When you say you assumed you were out, is that because you honestly thought you hadn't gotten the place, or you didn't want to consider that you had for sanity's sake, or you couldn't really tell?

Thanks, I have the video clip ripped if anybody wants it, it's one of the funniest comedy moments ever IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you should apply - you got better grades than me and I was offered a place. You can make the actual decision after you've got your As-levels.

It's really not as stressful experiance as people make out - I quite enjoyed my interview.

ReputationRep:

Chemistry A*
    Geography A*
    Information Tech. A*
    Mathematics A*
    Business Studies A
    French A
    English Language A
    English Literature A
    Biology A
    Physics A

Thanks,
    Rob

My God! If those grades aren't up to scratch, then what is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouKnewThat!)
    My God! If those grades aren't up to scratch, then what is?
    I got:

Eng Lang A*
    Maths A
    Physics A*
    Chem A*
    Eng Lit A
    French A*
    History B
    Latin B
    Music A
    RE A
    Stats B

I'm here now and they're considerably worse than this guy's grades so don't fret anybody!!!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    I think he just wanted us to say how amazing his grades were

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ensocopier)
    I think he just wanted us to say how amazing his grades were
    Perhaps!

ReputationRep:
    lol, not exactly. I jus see these droves of public school boys with 10 A*s applying and i thought what chance do i stand against them.

ReputationRep:
    I should have applied to oxbridge just to give the admissions tutors the biggest laugh they ever had! I do have some A's but not the A's they are looking for.

My sisters not applied to Oxbridge even though she got 8 A*s in her GCSE's and got 5 A's in her ASs. So just because you are doing well it does not mean oxbridge is the only option. Places like Warick, York, Nottingham, Manchester, London are all good universities. Even Paisley is very good (to laugh at!).

(Original post by hildabeast)
    I got:

Eng Lang A*
    Maths A
    Physics A*
    Chem A*
    Eng Lit A
    French A*
    History B
    Latin B
    Music A
    RE A
    Stats B

I'm here now and they're considerably worse than this guy's grades so don't fret anybody!!!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    You didn't do a biology GCSE???

ReputationRep:

Chemistry A*
    Geography A*
    Information Tech. A*
    Mathematics A*
    Business Studies A
    French A
    English Language A
    English Literature A
    Biology A
    Physics A

Thanks,
    Rob

GO FOR IT! i applied for geography at oxford this year with 6A* 4A at AS AABB in as levels (exc gen studs) and AAAA predicted a2's jus go for it! you've definietly got good enough gcses! I didnt enjoy 1 of the interviews but the other one was brilliant and I had a well good time when i was there, just go for it, you never know!

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.