The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

serendipity
a) I know a lot of people who applied but wouldn't go if they got an offer from their first choice - eg. nottingham
b) people get their offers from all unis at the moment - so what?
c) I beg to differ - they may be the most prestigious in the land, but Nottingham is a better university for English that Oxford.

"ao yeahh, i think it has more importance/relevance than a durham or leeds thread that clever people get into easily anyway."

"clever people" do not automatically get into these other universities. there is more competition for places at nottingham than at oxbridge. get your facts right and please don't make such sweeping generalisations.

i have no problem with this thread.

Thank YOU! Now stop arguing already!
serendipity

Nottingham is a better university for English that Oxford.

According to what guide??? Notts only got a 5 in the RAE and is joint 21st in the Times Guide 2004 whereas Oxford got 5* and is 2nd.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Reply 42
Another useful question for successful and unsuccessful applicants would be how they felt their interview went?
alex_thompson
that is complete rubbish.

U DONT APPLY FOR A FIRST CHOICE UNI THEN TURN DOWN THE OFFER, THAT IS RIDICULOUSLY STUPID. U APPLY TO A UNIVERSITY IN THE HOPE OF GETTING AN OFFER COZ U WANT TO GO THERE. IF U REJECT IT THEN YOU ARE STUPID AND WASTED BOTH YOUR TIME AND THE UNVERISTY'S TIME.

don't shout at me. i know people who are doing this because they have decided that oxbridge is not the right environment for them. so don't tell me i'm talking rubbish.

obviously you apply to 6 unis, 4 of which u turn down outright, because obviously you can't go everywhere :rolleyes: think before you type.
hildabeast
According to what guide??? Notts only got a 5 in the RAE and is joint 21st in the Times Guide 2004 whereas Oxford got 5* and is 2nd.

League tables are confusing... so many of them! Which is the best to follow?
Reply 45
alex_thompson
that is complete rubbish.

U DONT APPLY FOR A FIRST CHOICE UNI THEN TURN DOWN THE OFFER, THAT IS RIDICULOUSLY STUPID. U APPLY TO A UNIVERSITY IN THE HOPE OF GETTING AN OFFER COZ U WANT TO GO THERE. IF U REJECT IT THEN YOU ARE STUPID AND WASTED BOTH YOUR TIME AND THE UNVERISTY'S TIME.

Maybe Oxbridge isn't a 1st choice Uni for some people. People do apply to Unis which they dont particularly want to go to, but as a back up. For someone who isn't in the UCAS process, I think you should shut up
serendipity
according to those league table thingies its the 4th best in the country... :frown: it's a private girls school.

Oh OK. Well then I've absolutely no idea why they said that to you. Maybe the Oxbridge co-ordinator doesn't like you or something :frown:
What kind of grades did the people have who did apply???
I thought it was another case of state comprehensives misguiding their students again.

Reply 47
serendipity
according to those league table thingies its the 4th best in the country... :frown: it's a private girls school.

NLCS, by any chance? They told me that oxbridge expect at least 6 A*s - bah humbug! (I got 3A*, 5A, 1B but applied anyway)
hildabeast

according to last year's online Guardian. all the guides are different.
hildabeast

NOOOO NOOOO!!!

nottingham is better for english than oxford, she is right, dont even argue with her!!!

yeaahhhhh.....course.

oxford is the best, along with cambridge for english, even more so as it is well recognised for history/english/law......well any subject, but english especially.

nottingham better than oxford 4 english? please.......
Reply 50
hildabeast
Oh OK. Well then I've absolutely no idea why they said that to you. Maybe the Oxbridge co-ordinator doesn't like you or something :frown:
What kind of grades did the people have who did apply???
I thought it was another case of state comprehensives misguiding their students again.

Quite a few from my (private, too) school were persuaded not to apply. Maybe theres a league table of applicants/offers percentages?
Reply 51
serendipity
You are wrong: Nottingham is 21st according to The Guardian and join 21st according to The Times, whereas Oxford is 2nd.

Maybe you should also consider the fact that the competition for places at Universities such as Nottingham is not as high as at Oxford.

--

Congrats to all those who have received offers!
YouKnewThat!
League tables are confusing... so many of them! Which is the best to follow?

Take them all with a pinch of salt I'd say. There are so many flaws with all of them. The Guardian's league tables are particularly weird so I'd pretty much discount them. The Times Good University Guide is seen as pretty definitive but the Sunday Times (its a different league table - stupid I know!!!) is good as well. There are so many problems with it though. For example the way in which the body which assesses research gathers its findings is dubious to say the least.

Reply 53
serendipity
according to last year's online Guardian. all the guides are different.

Well according to this year's online Guardian, Nottingham is 21st and Oxford is 2nd. :tongue:
Ensocopier
Maybe Oxbridge isn't a 1st choice Uni for some people. People do apply to Unis which they dont particularly want to go to, but as a back up. For someone who isn't in the UCAS process, I think you should shut up

u apply to a university when u put it down as your first choice because u want to go tehre the most, and u go to all that trouble in order to get an offer.

REJECTING IT IS VERY STUPID AND WASTE'S EVERY1'S TIME.

sorry, am i missing something???????

oxbridge may not be a 1st choice uni..............obviously, fair enough.

but whatever some1's 1st choice uni is, they apply there coz they want to go thee the most.
jesus......................

do people actually read???

READ MY PREVIOUS POSTS TEHN COMMENT U KNUMBSKULL
Reply 55
Tek
Well according to this year's online Guardian, Nottingham is 21st and Oxford is 2nd. :tongue:

She was referring to English, not generally
Reply 56
Minta
NLCS, by any chance? They told me that oxbridge expect at least 6 A*s - bah humbug! (I got 3A*, 5A, 1B but applied anyway)

I go to NLCS :eek: ! When applying, Mrs Merino went on her usual rampage of trying to get everyone to apply to all girls' colleges :tongue: A teacher also got into a bit of trouble by calling in one girl's parents to tell them to not let their daughter apply to oxbridge :rolleyes:
Tek
serendipity
You are wrong: Nottingham is 21st according to The Guardian and join 21st according to The Times, whereas Oxford is 2nd.

Maybe you should also consider the fact that the competition for places at Universities such as Nottingham is not as high as at Oxford.

--

Congrats to all those who have received offers!

WELL SAID!

i am glad somebody has a clue! sanity at last!
Reply 58
alex_thompson
u apply to a university when u put it down as your first choice because u want to go tehre the most, and u go to all that trouble in order to get an offer.

REJECTING IT IS VERY STUPID AND WASTE'S EVERY1'S TIME.

sorry, am i missing something???????

You dont put down any Uni as your first choice...
Reply 59
Ensocopier
She was referring to English, not generally

Yes and that refers to the English position ffs!

http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/unitable/0,,-4663994,00.html

Latest

Trending

Trending