The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Tek
Well according to this year's online Guardian, Nottingham is 21st and Oxford is 2nd. :tongue:

nope, you're right, i apologise. i was referring to last year's tables, but i probably made a mistake anyway.
Well people in this year's application cycle actually don't rank their choices on the form - they are just allowed to apply to up to six. However I do agree with you, it is a terrible hassle when people apply to universities and then reject the place as that place then has to be filled by someone else. I think this has resulted in unis such as Bristol, LSE, UCL etc rejecting certain exellent candidates because they think they will get into Oxford or Cambridge and reject their offer or name it as insurance, which just makes the whole thing even worse. However, students should have choices. If there was a way for the application process to take place after results this wouldn't be such a problem.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Reply 62
Tek
Yes and that refers to the English position ffs!

http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/unitable/0,,-4663994,00.html

She was probs referring to another table.

Edit: Just saw her answer.
Ensocopier
You dont put down any Uni as your first choice...

really?

so u dont put them down in preferential order?

ok, so i was missing something!!

thanks 4 telling me.................................

OK SORRY FOR NOT KNOWING THAT BIT!

but the rest of wat i siad previosuly still stands.
Reply 64
alex_thompson
really?

so u dont put them down in preferential order?

ok, so i was missing something!!

thanks 4 telling me.................................

OK SORRY FOR NOT KNOWING THAT BIT!

but the rest of wat i siad previosuly still stands.

Yea, just dont call me stupid in the future, without checking your facts
Reply 65
Ensocopier
She was probs referring to another table.

Yes, last year's table. Do try to keep up.

Edit - Ok.
alex_thompson
u apply to a university when u put it down as your first choice because u want to go tehre the most, and u go to all that trouble in order to get an offer.

REJECTING IT IS VERY STUPID AND WASTE'S EVERY1'S TIME.

sorry, am i missing something???????

oxbridge may not be a 1st choice uni..............obviously, fair enough.

but whatever some1's 1st choice uni is, they apply there coz they want to go thee the most.
jesus......................

do people actually read???

READ MY PREVIOUS POSTS TEHN COMMENT U KNUMBSKULL

Please don't lower yourself to insulting people.
Reply 67
Tek
Yes, last year's table. Do try to keep up.

I edited my post: Keep up
hildabeast
Well people in this year's application cycle actually don't rank their choices on the form - they are just allowed to apply to up to six. However I do agree with you, it is a terrible hassle when people apply to universities and then reject the place as that place then has to be filled by someone else. I think this has resulted in unis such as Bristol, LSE, UCL etc rejecting certain exellent candidates because they think they will get into Oxford or Cambridge and reject their offer or name it as insurance, which just makes the whole thing even worse. However, students should have choices. If there was a way for the application process to take place after results this wouldn't be such a problem.

very well sai *claps*

ok, about teh rank of choices thing.....i got that wrong.

BUT: WHY APPLY TO OXBRIDGE, TRAVEL ALL THAT WAY FOR AN INTERVIEW, ALL THAT HASSLE, JUST TO REJECT AN OFFER.

surely, for such a prestigious university that requires GENERALLY much more hassle in applying than other uni's..WHY BOTHER APPLYING IF U R GONNA REJECT AN OFFER THAT PEOPLE WOULD KILL THEMSELVES 4?

MAKES ABSOLUTELY ZERO SENSE.

theres insurance offers, but u dont dont go to all that hassle, travel hundreds of miles, stay over, DO EXAMINATIONS, INTERVIEWS, WRITTEN TESTS ETC. JUST TO REJECT IT.

WASTE OF EVERYBODY'S TIME. IF U KNOW U R GONNA REJECT AN OFFER FROM THE BEST UNI IN THE LADN THEN DONT APPLY; DONT WASTE THE UNI'S, AND INTERVIEWERS AND EVRY1 ELSES TIME.

RIDICULOUS.
Reply 69
Ensocopier

Why should I have to refer to your previous posts in order to keep up? The fact that you had to edit it clearly demonstrates that you were out of touch in the first place. Moreover, I posted my last post before your edit, so your argument makes no logical sense whatsoever, does it now?
Reply 70
Ensocopier

Now I've edited my post, so "keep up". The fact that I edited it after you posted is surely irrelevent: if you edit after I say something then I can do the same, and also insult you.
Reply 71
Tek
Why should I have to refer to your previous posts in order to keep up? The fact that you had to edit it clearly demonstrates that you were out of touch in the first place. Moreover, I posted my last post before your edit, so your argument makes no logical sense whatsoever, does it now?

Me and Serendipity posted at the same time...I wasn't behind.
Tek

Class! Well Said!
Reply 73
Ensocopier
Me and Serendipity posted at the same time...I wasn't behind.

Did you not understand what I said? You edited your post AFTER I had posted mine, so how could I possibly "keep up"?
Ensocopier
Maybe Oxbridge isn't a 1st choice Uni for some people. People do apply to Unis which they dont particularly want to go to, but as a back up. For someone who isn't in the UCAS process, I think you should shut up

i know several people who turned down oxford in favour of lse and notts and i know that if i had been pooled to a girls college at cam i would have turned it down for nottingham

he should definetly shut up.
Thing is, I applied fully expecting not to get in but did it on the offchance because i knew it would be a good opportunity. Some people think they want to go but when they actually go for interview they find out its not what they thought it would be and decide not to apply. Others apply to many excellent, oversubscribed institutions, including Oxford or Cambridge, as they are expecting to be turned away from some of them. Some people are pushed into it by parents or teachers. There are a number of reasons why someone might reject their offer.

Reply 76
Tek
Now I've edited my post, so "keep up". The fact that I edited it after you posted is surely irrelevent: if you edit after I say something then I can do the same, and also insult you.

Its too early in the morning for this... I dont get a word of what you are saying
alex_thompson
very well sai *claps*

ok, about teh rank of choices thing.....i got that wrong.

BUT: WHY APPLY TO OXBRIDGE, TRAVEL ALL THAT WAY FOR AN INTERVIEW, ALL THAT HASSLE, JUST TO REJECT AN OFFER.

surely, for such a prestigious university that requires GENERALLY much more hassle in applying than other uni's..WHY BOTHER APPLYING IF U R GONNA REJECT AN OFFER THAT PEOPLE WOULD KILL THEMSELVES 4?

MAKES ABSOLUTELY ZERO SENSE.

theres insurance offers, but u dont dont go to all that hassle, travel hundreds of miles, stay over, DO EXAMINATIONS, INTERVIEWS, WRITTEN TESTS ETC. JUST TO REJECT IT.

WASTE OF EVERYBODY'S TIME. IF U KNOW U R GONNA REJECT AN OFFER FROM THE BEST UNI IN THE LADN THEN DONT APPLY; DONT WASTE THE UNI'S, AND INTERVIEWERS AND EVRY1 ELSES TIME.

RIDICULOUS.

again, i disagree. a friend of mine walked out halfway through her written test because she decided it wasn't for her.

at the end of the day, it's just another university, and if you apply to 6 excellent universities then of course you are inevitable going to reject 4 of them - one of which could be oxbridge, so i don't quite see your point. other universities also interview.
rah
if i had been pooled to a girls college at cam i would have turned it down for nottingham

Why do you say that? Girls' colleges are not bad places. More men hang around here than in most colleges I'd say hehe!!! Seriously it is not a problem socially and has a number of academic benefits. I hate it when people discount something just because of one tiny thing like that.

Reply 79
darn this was such a happy thread 2 hours ago....

p.s. I cant be the only one to have got a reply???

Latest

Trending

Trending