The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Tek
Let me rephrase. The quantity of applicants has no reflection on their ability: many people who apply to Oxbridge will be getting AAA at A Level whereas at Nottingham this might be ABB.

um, Notts ask for AAB at English. I haven't applied to Cambridge and am predicted AAAA, so what does your point prove?
hildabeast
I'm not saying it would never happen but I have never come across anyone being offered AAAA for an English course anywhere other than Oxford or Cambridge. Have you?

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

But this doesn't mean he is better than everyone else. It means he is worse, and therefore was given a hard offer. Grades dont reflect quality
Tek
Let me rephrase. The quantity of applicants has no reflection on their ability: many people who apply to Oxbridge will be getting AAA at A Level whereas at Nottingham this might be ABB.

Lots of people apply to Nottingham/Durham et al who are relatively underqualified in the hope that they get in. Most get rejected of course but it boosts the numbers applying. Oxbridge now get approximately 4 suitably qualified applicants per place. By suitably qualified i mean AAA at least.

Reply 123
alex_thompson
oxbridge rejections/offers

exactly.....if u want to discus what you're discussing go create a new thread with the title 'is oxbridge the best university for everyone' or something....
Ensocopier
But this doesn't mean he is better than everyone else. It means he is worse, and therefore was given a hard offer. Grades dont reflect quality

It could mean any number of things, and I'm not saying he's better than everyone else. Just pointing out that it is not uncommon for Oxbridge to give extremely high offers which would not be given anywhere else.

hildabeast
It could mean any number of things, and I'm not saying he's better than everyone else. Just pointing out that it is not uncommon for Oxbridge to give extremely high offers which would not be given anywhere else.

...as yet, obv as standards and exam results rise offers like this will become common place, i'd agree that an AAAA offer reflects a lack of confidence on their part really

also isnt bristol now doing AAA plus A at As offers?
Reply 126
hildabeast
Lots of people apply to Nottingham/Durham et al who are relatively underqualified in the hope that they get in. Most get rejected of course but it boosts the numbers applying. Oxbridge now get approximately 4 suitably qualified applicants per place. By suitably qualified i mean AAA at least.

Yes, exactly.
Tek
Yes, exactly.

i agree.

by the way tek, i was wanting to PM you, but your name isnt in the list!!! if u go into the members thingy, and find your name, and click on it, it says u r offline!
Reply 128
alex_thompson
i agree.

by the way tek, i was wanting to PM you, but your name isnt in the list!!! if u go into the members thingy, and find your name, and click on it, it says u r offline!

I like to stay invisible.
Reply 129
Ensocopier
...I'm still waiting for the post

i'm still waiting anxiously for the post too.......apparently the post didn't come till around 1 yesterday.......god.....and can we keep this as an oxbridge offer/rejection thread pls?! all these arguments.....
wonkey
i'm still waiting anxiously for the post too.......apparently the post didn't come till around 1 yesterday.......god.....and can we keep this as an oxbridge offer/rejection thread pls?! all these arguments.....

u r saying that u could find out rejection/offer in a matter of minutes?.........WOW! I WUD BE WELL NERVOUS!
wonkey

What course/college
Reply 132
Ensocopier
What course/college

E+M at queens, u? my post just arrived btw but nothing from ox
Reply 133
alex_thompson
u r saying that u could find out rejection/offer in a matter of minutes?.........WOW! I WUD BE WELL NERVOUS!

i've got a feeling that successful applicants got letters sent yest and rejectins today...so i'll probs receive post 2moro ......i'm feeling crap.......i really wanted to hear today no matter what
wonkey
i've got a feeling that successful applicants got letters sent yest and rejectins today...so i'll probs receive post 2moro ......i'm feeling crap.......i really wanted to hear today no matter what

some people will get their replys in early january.

thast rubbish about offers sent yesterday and rejections today.......its to do with location.....further from ox, longer u gotta wait....
Reply 135
alex_thompson
some people will get their replys in early january.

thast rubbish about offers sent yesterday and rejections today.......its to do with location.....further from ox, longer u gotta wait....

well i just hope ur rite for my sake
Reply 136
crap. I am miles away. Like 300 or something
wonkey
well i just hope ur rite for my sake

well its true, if a person lived absolutely miles away it wud take longer to get there.
Reply 138
janon
crap. I am miles away. Like 300 or something

lol woah.......where r u from? i'm in london....and i don't regard that as too far from oxford. what have u applied for?
Reply 139
wonkey
lol woah.......where r u from? i'm in london....and i don't regard that as too far from oxford. what have u applied for?

uhm.....i am way farther out for sure....will get my mail probably in a week

Latest

Trending

Trending