The Student Room Group

Health Care Assistant - HCA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JakeM
Hi sorry guys I really need a Health Care Assistant to nag loads of questions!

One important question ive got is, I start as a HCA hopefully 25th of January but my offer letter says my contract is till 31/08/2011.. do they offer you another contract when it expires, is this standard or does anyone have a permanent contract?

HI, could you invite me to your blog? It wont let me read it :frown:
Also if anyone can help? I have a HCA interview next week for an outpatient department so the role is different to a ward HCA. I have these questions prepared so far - What do you think this job entails?, Why do you want to be a HCA?, Why did you leave you old job?, Where do you see yourself in 5 years time? Give an example of when you have used effctive communication skills.

Is there anything I have missed?? I really really want this job more than anything. I've had the assesment which is passed so I really don't want to mess the interview up :frown: My last HCA interview was wrecked by my blank memory and stuttering!!
Original post by The Procrastinator
Also if anyone can help? I have a HCA interview next week for an outpatient department so the role is different to a ward HCA. I have these questions prepared so far - What do you think this job entails?, Why do you want to be a HCA?, Why did you leave you old job?, Where do you see yourself in 5 years time? Give an example of when you have used effctive communication skills.

Is there anything I have missed?? I really really want this job more than anything. I've had the assesment which is passed so I really don't want to mess the interview up :frown: My last HCA interview was wrecked by my blank memory and stuttering!!

For my HCA position, I was asked things like:

What would you do if you found a patient on the floor?
What would you do if a nurse asked you to give a patient x drugs?

.. Can't remember any others that you haven't already covered.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
For my HCA position, I was asked things like:

What would you do if you found a patient on the floor?
What would you do if a nurse asked you to give a patient x drugs?

.. Can't remember any others that you haven't already covered.

Thanks for the reply :smile:

I don't know if I will be asked that last one. I wont be on a ward, I'll be on a department. God I hope I get this job :biggrin:
Thanks for the reply :smile:

I don't know if I will be asked that last one. I wont be on a ward, I'll be on a department. God I hope I get this job :biggrin:

OPD can be sometimes a bit...mundane, but if thats what you're after go for it!

You'll be doing things such as taking a patients height, weight, urine sample dipping- maybe even doing some observations (such as BP, pulse etc) if its required- often in oncology clinics it's done.

Other than that it's admin, sorting out notes, paperwork. Arguably the difference between a HCA in a clinic and a nurse in a clinic is very minimal, and many say they don't know the difference. On the other hand if its an outpatients department where they come to recieve treatment, aka chemo the nurse deals primarily with that and often it's mostly paperwork etc

Do you know what sort of area it is?
Original post by Subcutaneous
OPD can be sometimes a bit...mundane, but if thats what you're after go for it!

You'll be doing things such as taking a patients height, weight, urine sample dipping- maybe even doing some observations (such as BP, pulse etc) if its required- often in oncology clinics it's done.

Other than that it's admin, sorting out notes, paperwork. Arguably the difference between a HCA in a clinic and a nurse in a clinic is very minimal, and many say they don't know the difference. On the other hand if its an outpatients department where they come to recieve treatment, aka chemo the nurse deals primarily with that and often it's mostly paperwork etc

Do you know what sort of area it is?

I'm fine with dull hehe. I've never done this type of work before. I cleaned at the hospital before this :biggrin: I did try home care work, but I felt too overwelmed. 2 days training then shoved out there all on my own so I just want something "simple" ish for now.

I'm not sure what area of OPD I will be in. It might be all over or in just one area, it's fracture, dental, phlebotomy, diabetes, physio, therapy, eye clinic, ear noe and throut (I think)...possible oncology, not sure if it's part of OPD though.

Thanks very much for your reply, I didn't know about taking heights, weights and stuff like that, that's a big help to me :smile:
Reply 26
I have worked in OPD as a CSW. It is mundane but nice to walk out at 5pm and no nights.

I actually sat in with drs, took pts through for treatment, and assisted in procedures. I also took bloods and did some general admin. Was a nice job for the time I did it (before going back to uni) but I would have been climbing the walls if it was more permanent. I also worked on the bank within the trust to get some extra pennies - obv no anti-social in OPD.

At interview I have been asked questions about confidentiality, phone manner, complaints, infection control, personal appearance, how to deal with difficult situations.
Original post by mmaize
I have worked in OPD as a CSW. It is mundane but nice to walk out at 5pm and no nights.

I actually sat in with drs, took pts through for treatment, and assisted in procedures. I also took bloods and did some general admin. Was a nice job for the time I did it (before going back to uni) but I would have been climbing the walls if it was more permanent. I also worked on the bank within the trust to get some extra pennies - obv no anti-social in OPD.

At interview I have been asked questions about confidentiality, phone manner, complaints, infection control, personal appearance, how to deal with difficult situations.

Hmm the word mundane and dull is appearing a lot! It is the hours that has attracted me as well, I just want something "normal" for now after 4 years of work evenings till 10pm.

Thanks a lot for your reply, very helpful :smile:
Well I don't think I got that job :frown: They asked me stuff I hadn't even thought of :frown: FML.
Reply 29
Well I don't think I got that job :frown: They asked me stuff I hadn't even thought of :frown: FML.

Like what?

I have applied for HCA with the NHS and have an interview on the 20th - any tips??
Original post by DeepStar
Like what?

I have applied for HCA with the NHS and have an interview on the 20th - any tips??

Eee don't think I can remeber now! Trying to rack my brains...I don't want to be a HCA now so the knowledge has disintigrated. What deparment/ward are you going to be working on? Whichever it is try to learn as much as you can about that area. That interview my post was about was the one I had for the outpatients department. They didn't ask anything about outpatients, just random stuff I can't remeber but for the one on A&E they asked things like, who comes into A&E apart from staff and patients/visitors...which threw me completley!! Wish I could remeber more!

The questions I prepared for weren't even asked! But I prepared the following ones...might help you.

What do you think the job entails?
An example of when you had to use effective communication skills and team work.
Why do you want to be a health care assistant?
Why did you leave your last job?
Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
When have you ever gone the extra mile?

I assume you applied from the NHS job site? Also I assume you've read the job descriptions and stuff? Also at the bottom of the job advert there's pdf's with more info which might help you?

Hope that helped a bit :smile:
Reply 31
how much do HCA earn?
Reply 32
Eee don't think I can remeber now! Trying to rack my brains...I don't want to be a HCA now so the knowledge has disintigrated. What deparment/ward are you going to be working on? Whichever it is try to learn as much as you can about that area. That interview my post was about was the one I had for the outpatients department. They didn't ask anything about outpatients, just random stuff I can't remeber but for the one on A&E they asked things like, who comes into A&E apart from staff and patients/visitors...which threw me completley!! Wish I could remeber more!

The questions I prepared for weren't even asked! But I prepared the following ones...might help you.

What do you think the job entails?
An example of when you had to use effective communication skills and team work.
Why do you want to be a health care assistant?
Why did you leave your last job?
Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
When have you ever gone the extra mile?

I assume you applied from the NHS job site? Also I assume you've read the job descriptions and stuff? Also at the bottom of the job advert there's pdf's with more info which might help you?

Hope that helped a bit :smile:

Yeh I applied through the NHS website. Its for the trauma department for female patients and female offenders so I'm not too sure what to expect.

I know the area pretty well, have researched the department and used the pdf's at the bottom for any useful notes so hopefully I should be ok.

How long did yours last? I have mine at 10.30am then have another interview for a Care assistant at 1pm so hopefully it won't last too long.

Thank you for getting back to me :smile:
Original post by DeepStar
Yeh I applied through the NHS website. Its for the trauma department for female patients and female offenders so I'm not too sure what to expect.

I know the area pretty well, have researched the department and used the pdf's at the bottom for any useful notes so hopefully I should be ok.

How long did yours last? I have mine at 10.30am then have another interview for a Care assistant at 1pm so hopefully it won't last too long.

Thank you for getting back to me :smile:

You seem well prepared, I'm sure you will do fine. I think mine last 15-20 minutes. Half an hour at the most. The time goes really fast so don't worry about that :biggrin:

Good luck for both of them! Hope your heads not wrecked too much from the first interview!! :p:D
Reply 34
You seem well prepared, I'm sure you will do fine. I think mine last 15-20 minutes. Half an hour at the most. The time goes really fast so don't worry about that :biggrin:

Good luck for both of them! Hope your heads not wrecked too much from the first interview!! :p:D

Thank god! I thought it might taken an hour lo but 30 minutes seems better :biggrin:

Aww, thank you! I shall update you on my progress :biggrin: Lol il try to have a clear head for the 2nd interview although I'd rather the placement with the NHS :wink:
hiya everyone i am interested in becoming a healthcare assistant and was just wondering if anyone knows how i can get started in it. i need all the advice i get please :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by JakeM
Thanks Subcutaneous.

Anyone who is interested in becoming a Health Care Assistant or anything is free to read my blog!
http://journalofahca.blogspot.com I am only just starting off now and my training starts 25th of January so that is when all the action will be posted. :smile:

I would really like to read your blog as i want to apply for a HCA role however when i click on the link it says that the blog is open to invited readers only
Ah HCA...done it for 5 years now...on wards,in palliative care and in the community. The roles and tasks and what you are exposed to are very different depending on where you are working. You have more responsibility in the community and obviously have to be eagle eye trained to spot developing crises as you wont have that support on a ward.999 is your immediate port of call unless the EWS or T,P,R just warrants calling out an on call GP.

On the ward, you have obs that need doing at a specific time.You may have other duties such as bathing patients, feeding, moving and transferring,bed making, poo wiping, toileting, and equipment sanitising and paperwork that never ends. Recording of Obs,patient well being and be sure to hand over all info to your nurse in charge/care coordinator at the end of the shift.

Oh and hand gel is your best friend.

For interviews,you can be asked how you would deal with a non cooperative patient (you will get those quite frequently), how you would address a situation where a patient disclosed abuse, how you would prioritise tasks? how you deal with interpersonal conflict? how would you go the extra mile for patient satisfaction.

Good luck
Reply 38
How can i access the above blogspot?
Reply 39
Original post by JakeM
Thanks Subcutaneous.

Anyone who is interested in becoming a Health Care Assistant or anything is free to read my blog!
http://journalofahca.blogspot.com I am only just starting off now and my training starts 25th of January so that is when all the action will be posted. :smile:

Hi,
Am a new member just joined today.was trying to access your blog but it says permission denied ,invitation only.So how do I access the blog?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending