AS Psychology Help! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hi,
I am meant to be carrying out a experiement into memory recall. I have to do an experiment but i don't have a clue what to do. The teacher told us that we have to have 2 groups, both group leant with cues, then there is a break and 1 group recalls the previously learned information with the cues and then the other group has to recall the information without the cues? I hope that made sense, the only problem is though, i haven't got a clue what clues and what things they have to learn so any help would be very much appreiciated. Thanx!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
In reply to ur post, i have just carried out the same experiment, and in order to do it we set up a couple of retrieval cues. One of the groups were put into a class room, we gave the room a specific smell, and played specific sound. These were our cue dependant retrieval cues. In order to put participants in the same state we made them watch a comedy before hand (an episode of the simpsons) we then showed them a film of a mugging. We did exactly the same with another group. The following day we took one of the groups back to the room, with the same smell, sounds, and showed them another episode of the simpsons (thus giving retrieval cues and putting them in the same state) and asked them questions with regards to the film we had shown them. We then took the other group to a totally different room and asked them questions without giving them any of the retrieval cues. Our hypothesis was that the 1st group would remeber the most. It was correct. that was our study so u could just take off that, and add parts or take parts away. The only prob is u need fairly large groups in order to be able to carry out statistical tests properly.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
cues are when things (or a list of information)is broken down for the intaker to understand for example:

when studying

abcgcseitvobe

we break it into

abc gcse itv obe

or to confuse them

ab cgcs eitvo be
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hi,
Hope i can help. Im doing the second year at A level and let me tell you if your struggling now....oh dear. Anyway your coursework. I got top marks in psych so hope i can help.
With the coursework you have to do a lab experiment. The two groups your teacher was talking about was part of a design called independant measures design. One group (control group) is where you can give the particiapnts a list of 20 words and ask them to memorize them whilst playing 'soft music'. In otherwords classical music or music with no lyrics. Then turn off the music and take the words away from their view and ask them to write down as many as they can in 30 secs. Thats half of your experiment done. You then need another group of participants and give them same the same words that you gave the first group, but ask them to memorize the words whilst listening to 'hard music' such as slipknot or american head chrage (good bands...). then turn it off after a min or so and take away the words again and ask them to recall as many words as possible.
The only thing that should be different between the two groups is the type of music that you expose them to, keep the number of participants and the times to recall and memorize the same.
Hope that was of some help. IF you do this right u shud b fine
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Thanx but your almost right, the cues have to be the same but one will recall with the cues and the other won't but both groups will learn the words with the same cue, eg in ur case music.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (204)
12.73%
Excited (139)
8.67%
Worried (291)
18.15%
Terrified (364)
22.71%
Meh (144)
8.98%
Confused (35)
2.18%