Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm so stuck at which halls to put down for Reading. Are most people putting the new ones down? I reaaally want to put down Stenton or Mackinder, but I want other undergraduates to be with me! What's everyone else putting?

ReputationRep:
    Have you got your forms already?

ReputationRep:
    I'm probably going to put down at least one of the new ones because I want ensuite! I think most of the halls will have other undergraduates; if you look in the accommodation section on the website it says which ones are for postgraduates so if you avoid those I'm sure you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GapYearGirl)
    I'm probably going to put down at least one of the new ones because I want ensuite! I think most of the halls will have other undergraduates; if you look in the accommodation section on the website it says which ones are for postgraduates so if you avoid those I'm sure you'll be fine
    Sherfield! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyJLS)
    I'm so stuck at which halls to put down for Reading. Are most people putting the new ones down? I reaaally want to put down Stenton or Mackinder, but I want other undergraduates to be with me! What's everyone else putting?
    Do u know what the new halls rent cost?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smarty)
    Do u know what the new halls rent cost?
    The rents and residency periods won't be available until May. Bit of a git for those with unconditional offers who want to apply as soon as they are able to, but it's going to be shockingly pricey no doubt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyJLS)

hey, a mate of mine stayed in wessex last year and although it isnt up to some standards..you have alottt of fun in there , theres a great social atmosphere..
    x

ReputationRep:
    which 1 u reckon will be cheaper?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Please don't type in text speak, its against the rules.

The current halls will almost certainly be cheaper than the brand new ones, especially if these new ones have ensuite like someone said above!

ReputationRep:
    I think at the moment Sibly is the cheapest hall, but I could be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rinn)
    I think at the moment Sibly is the cheapest hall, but I could be wrong.
    Yeah, but theres a very good reason for that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bizzbusta)
    Yeah, but theres a very good reason for that...
    Haha, I know xD Most of the halls seem to be around similar prices apart from that one =P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rinn)
    Haha, I know xD Most of the halls seem to be around similar prices apart from that one =P
    Yeah, lol. I was in St Georges (Oakhurst - Non-ensuite) for my final year, which was new but not brand new. So it was a good balance between price and niceness.

ReputationRep:
    Reading is my insurance choice... i hope i dont get allocated rubbish halls if i end up going there
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    As a price guide for the new halls, the university has stated that they will be more expensive than the current ensuite rooms available. So based on that, you're looking at around £5,000 for the whole year. The new halls do like they'll be good though, especially with the new park group bar and cafe etc.

EDIT: When I say whole year, that doesn't include summer vacation. I imagine the new halls will have 36 and 52 week residency periods, though.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know much about Windsor? I think i'm going to Firm Reading when they all come in and went there on Wednesday but couldn't see the halls. I think i want catered etc but also want a fairly lively halls.

ReputationRep:
    Wessex is (as far as I know) the second cheapest and it is a pretty good hall. It's self-catering and was really social whilst I was there. The bar is pretty good too but it doesn't usually attract many people. I was tempted to apply for one of the new halls for my third year but decided agaist it due to the fact they obviously will be expensive. It really is a pain that they haven't put the new hall prices up, makes it so much more difficult for people with unconditionals and those of us returning.

ReputationRep:
    I've decided to go for Mackinder, I know it'll be a bit more expensive but they look really nice and hopefully it'll be worth it! Anyone else thinking of applying for Mackinder?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rinn)
    Sherfield! :yep:
    Is Sherfield any good? The halls booklet doesn't really give very much information about them at all! I think Mackinder is definitely going to be my first choice but I need a decent second choice as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GapYearGirl)
    Is Sherfield any good? The halls booklet doesn't really give very much information about them at all! I think Mackinder is definitely going to be my first choice but I need a decent second choice as well
    The bedrooms are a nice size, you get a big desk and wardrobe, quite a lot of storage space. The quality of the bathroom seems to vary with the room but they generally seem to be okay. The kitchens are a bit dated but they have what you need =P I wouldn't call it one of the more sociable halls, like St Pats, there's a lot more postgrads here than undergrads (I'm in the only undergrad in a corridor of postgrads xD). And it has the bonus of being fairly close to the uni, a 15 - 20 minute walk to the heart of the campus, maybe 10 - 15 minutes to the outskirts

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 14, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.