Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ^mine says the same thing! but i only got conditional so i guess i need to wait until august til i get my "official" offer.
    can't wait though!

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean to be rude but, it seems a lot of people here are going for the more expensive halls - how can you afford to pay in excess of five grand just on rent, for what amounts to only about 9 months residency? Are you getting a lot of help from your parents? Or have you got savings that you're putting towards it? I am genuinely interested as personally I think the majority of the halls are prohibitively expensive, especially if you're only eligible for the basic rate maintenance loan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scottyboy20)
    I don't mean to be rude but, it seems a lot of people here are going for the more expensive halls - how can you afford to pay in excess of five grand just on rent, for what amounts to only about 9 months residency? Are you getting a lot of help from your parents? Or have you got savings that you're putting towards it? I am genuinely interested as personally I think the majority of the halls are prohibitively expensive, especially if you're only eligible for the basic rate maintenance loan.
    i think reading accommodations are relatively expensive anyway. i applied for st georges, and yeah it's expensive. i need an extra about 1500 to cover the rent 'cause my maintenance loan doesn't cover it. >.<
    i was picky, i wanted an ensuite. if not, i could have opted for windsor i think it was, where it was only 70 something a week compare to st georges 130+.
    my parents say they'll pay for the extra, but only because they've saved up some money for me for uni. and my sisters are gonna help me too. but i'm still gonna have to find a job when i get there! i think the money my parents saved up is only gonna cover for the 1st year. lol so i need to find a job and pay for my own stuff.

ReputationRep:
    With the various grants/loans/bursaries I'm getting, I get about £1300 to live on throughout the year (after paying all the various costs), but I've got over £2000 worth of savings to help me out for the first year at least. My parents although not the richest, can help me out in the future a little bit if I need them, but I'm quite safe financially for the first year. I personally just wanted to go to Mackinder Hall as it is well.. 'brand new', so I'd be one of the first people in it! Although it is more expensive than the alternatives, I just thought 'I'm only going to Uni once, and I want to get the best experience I can!'. Besides, with tuition fees looking like they will rise to 7K a year, we all will be in a lot less debt than the 2011 undergraduate freshers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surfer24em)
    Hey, sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I'm busy in Australia! ooh why we're you scared about the rooms in Wantage? I didn't actually get to go inside when I looked around, I just fell in love with the outside! Hopefully our rooms will be nice... I'm doing geography, and had an unconditional offer as I'm on my gap year and already had my grades. What about you? I can't wait till october!!
    hi!!! sorry also about my late reply!! Ive got a conditional offer for psychology! so hopefully will get the grades! DD if not will have to do some serious persuading!
    hopefully see you in oct!! xx

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone do me a huge favour and link me to reading applicant portal?
    I've lost/forgot the url

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mm_Minty)
    Can anyone do me a huge favour and link me to reading applicant portal?
    I've lost/forgot the url
    www.reading.ac.uk/applicantportal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GapYearGirl)
    www.reading.ac.uk/applicantportal
    thanks you

ReputationRep:
    Anyone going to study MSc Marketing & International Managment on Henley?

ReputationRep:
    Just worked out that 'Rsg accepted' means Reading St George's accepted! Woooo en-suite here I come

ReputationRep:
    Can someone give me an insight into windsor hall? i've put windsor down and i have been accepted. the only negative is that it looks like a block of council houses on the picture on the reading university sight.. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Varciani)
    Just worked out that 'Rsg accepted' means Reading St George's accepted! Woooo en-suite here I come
    i think you may the be one of the few people i've seen that applied to st georges! i was starting to think if i chose the wrong halls! XD
    glad to see someone else going there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ella37)
    i think you may the be one of the few people i've seen that applied to st georges! i was starting to think if i chose the wrong halls! XD
    glad to see someone else going there!
    Tell me about it! All I see is St Pats or Mackinder!

ReputationRep:
    yeahh Im gonna study Marketing and Management on Henley!Which hall r u gonna stay at??Im thınkıng about Stenton and Mackinder.What about u??

ReputationRep:
    I have Reading as my firm and didn't apply for accommodation as I thought I wouldn't make my offer and I'm on holiday now and don't know my login details so wouldn't be able to do it anyways. Say I did get in, would I still be able to get a place in halls?

ReputationRep:
    Tell me about it! All I see is St Pats or Mackinder!
    i just found out st georges is actually more expensive than mackinder and stenton. >.< and judging from the pictures, the latter two actually have better rooms, they have 4 foot wide beds! plus they're newly built... i wonder why i didn't choose them. XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ella37)
    i just found out st georges is actually more expensive than mackinder and stenton. >.< and judging from the pictures, the latter two actually have better rooms, they have 4 foot wide beds! plus they're newly built... i wonder why i didn't choose them. XD
    I noticed this as well... I'm really annoyed with them, I can't really afford the price of St George's now, but they didn't release the prices when everyone had to choose. So now I'm stuck with a hall that I can't afford, that isn't actually as good as others that are cheaper!

Well pissed off!

ReputationRep:
    If you work it out St.George's in cheaper it's just that you get a longer contract.
    Obviously this is useful or staying (or at least leaving your stuff in the holidays).
    Totally undertand your frustration though.
    HOWEVER i would prefer to live in St.George's than a building site.
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJCaerdydd)
    If you work it out St.George's in cheaper it's just that you get a longer contract.
    Obviously this is useful or staying (or at least leaving your stuff in the holidays).
    Totally undertand your frustration though.
    HOWEVER i would prefer to live in St.George's than a building site.
    xxx
    St Georges works out more expensive when you look at the price you pay per week.

St Georges (ensuite) - 132.51
    Mackinder/Stenton - £132

ReputationRep:
    I noticed this as well... I'm really annoyed with them, I can't really afford the price of St George's now, but they didn't release the prices when everyone had to choose. So now I'm stuck with a hall that I can't afford, that isn't actually as good as others that are cheaper!

Well pissed off!
    exactly. i'm really wondering WHY i didn't put the new halls in my choices.. st george's was actually my first choice, because of the location, plus it seemed really nice compare to the other halls. i think i thought the new halls were for post grads... i really cannot remember why i didn't choose them.. XD
    well too late now. i just hope the ppl are nicer in st georges!

and yup, both st georges and the new halls are 39 weeks and st georges is 51p more expensive per week.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 14, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.