Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey, i was just wondering if anyone else didnt get their first choice in halls?
    I put st pats as my first choice becase of the social side and it had the best living for me. i ended up with wantage, i have the same living situation- catered, washbasin, but i was really looking forward to st pats. Wantage doesnt seem to have a nice reputation either.
    Do you think there is anyway of changing?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h-star)
    Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it
    hehe.
    i think you should apply for halls as soon as you get back from your holiday. i don't think there are a lot left, but they did say that they guarantee accommodation for all the first years. deadline i think is end of august..? maybe? not sure about that one.

i didn't get my login details automatically either, so i e-mailed [email protected] asking about them.

i hope that helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ella37)
    hehe.
    i think you should apply for halls as soon as you get back from your holiday. i don't think there are a lot left, but they did say that they guarantee accommodation for all the first years. deadline i think is end of august..? maybe? not sure about that one.

i didn't get my login details automatically either, so i e-mailed [email protected] asking about them.

i hope that helped!
    Deadline is 1st August, I'll email them then, thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h-star)
    Deadline is 1st August, I'll email them then, thanks for the help
    1st??? wow. it might be better to call them.
    goodluck! hopefully you get a place!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ella37)
    1st??? wow. it might be better to call them.
    goodluck! hopefully you get a place!
    You too

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who has applied for Sibly? It looks like a Greek hotel from the 60s! Surely I won't be the only one staying at that fine looking place? :p:

Greek Hotel (Louis Colossos Faliraki)

Sibly Hall

See! Not much difference!

After I applied for Sibly, I had second thoughts and figured I should have been willing to splash out more on a more appealing hall. On the plus side though, Sibly is one of two which have "ample parking space" mentioned in the description. By that, I assume all others bar one (Sherfield Hall) have limited parking facilities.

Sibly = £72 p/w
    Sherfield = £115 p/w

I'm really hoping to take my car (for personal reasons) so now I'm happy with my decision to go with Sibly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExR)
    Am I the only one who has applied for Sibly? It looks like a Greek hotel from the 60s! Surely I won't be the only one staying at that fine looking place? :p:

Greek Hotel (Louis Colossos Faliraki)

Sibly Hall

See! Not much difference!

After I applied for Sibly, I had second thoughts and figured I should have been willing to splash out more on a more appealing hall. On the plus side though, Sibly is one of two which have "ample parking space" mentioned in the description. By that, I assume all others bar one (Sherfield Hall) have limited parking facilities.

Sibly = £72 p/w
    Sherfield = £115 p/w

I'm really hoping to take my car (for personal reasons) so now I'm happy with my decision to go with Sibly.

lol, love the contrast in pics mate.. very funny!
    windsor kind of looks like Sibly... thats the hall im staying in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _abc_)
    hey, i was just wondering if anyone else didnt get their first choice in halls?
    I put st pats as my first choice becase of the social side and it had the best living for me. i ended up with wantage, i have the same living situation- catered, washbasin, but i was really looking forward to st pats. Wantage doesnt seem to have a nice reputation either.
    Do you think there is anyway of changing?
    My advice if you are in Wantage with a washbasin...

Most of the people who had a washbasin when I was there complained of the stink due to lazy people using it for number one when they couldn't be bothered to walk to the bathrooms at the end of the corridor. Both people in that room previously, and as it was connected plumbing, people in the rest of New Court.

When you arrive, tip a bottle of bleach down the plughole and keep the plug firmly jammed in when you are not using it.

I never had a washbasin in 1st and 2nd year. £8 cheaper per week, money well saved in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExR)

Sibly = £72 p/w
    Sherfield = £115 p/w

My mate was in Sibly. He said the best experiences of the place were when pissheads tried to cook in the middle of the night and set off the over-sensitive fire alarms in the kitchen at 3 am.

This means you cannot use the lifts. But I wouldn't use them anyway, as they are a deathtrap. Literally.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3680758.stm

Yeah, reminds me of the time I got stuck in Whiteknights library lift for four hours.

ReputationRep:
    I am a mature postgraduate student. Wanted to stay at Hillside or Sherfield but those options were not even in the application form, so I ended up putting Sibly as my first choice thinking at least I would save some money but after reading this post I kind of regret it...

Will there be other postgraduates in Sibly? Am I too old for halls? (I'm in my early 30s)? Will I be better off looking for private accommodation?

I am a social, easygoing person, but wont have time for partying all the time as my employer is sponsoring me and I do have to get good grades or else I'll need to give the money back...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luar)
    I am a mature postgraduate student. Wanted to stay at Hillside or Sherfield but those options were not even in the application form, so I ended up putting Sibly as my first choice thinking at least I would save some money but after reading this post I kind of regret it...

Will there be other postgraduates in Sibly? Am I too old for halls? (I'm in my early 30s)? Will I be better off looking for private accommodation?

I am a social, easygoing person, but wont have time for partying all the time as my employer is sponsoring me and I do have to get good grades or else I'll need to give the money back...
    I don't know about postgraduates, but FWIW, I'm also a mature student and am I'm on the "waiting list" for Sibly.

If you don't wanna party all the time, just don't join in and perhaps buy a pair of earplugs if necessary. You can also opt to be in a quiet location within the building if you wish. I assume that this means they will put you near other people who have asked to be in a quiet area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusfox)
    My mate was in Sibly. He said the best experiences of the place were when pissheads tried to cook in the middle of the night and set off the over-sensitive fire alarms in the kitchen at 3 am.

This means you cannot use the lifts. But I wouldn't use them anyway, as they are a deathtrap. Literally.

Yeah, reminds me of the time I got stuck in Whiteknights library lift for four hours.
    No need to terrify the prospective freshers Marcus... yes, sadly, a student was injured in a lift on campus in 2003 and later died in hospital. That was, however, over seven years ago - long before I came to the University of Reading - and there have been no lift-death incidents since.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom Gilchrist)
    No need to terrify the prospective freshers Marcus... yes, sadly, a student was injured in a lift on campus in 2003 and later died in hospital. That was, however, over seven years ago - long before I came to the University of Reading - and there have been no lift-death incidents since.
    Hmm, my friend said he never used them, he thought the way that the students always took risks by overloading them was an accident waiting to happen. He was only on the second floor though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusfox)

Cor **** me, I'm surprised he wasn't cut in half!

I've a place at Sibly, it does look like a grotty tower block but there's no shortage of those where I've grown up anyway. On the plus side I hear it's alright on the inside, with bigger rooms than usual...

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, a bit jealous of all you people with accepted halls. I applied in June, which I didn't think would be too late but could only choose between Hillside, Martindale and Sibly in the self-catered options. I'm 25 and so 'mature' anyway so went for Hillside. Until yesterday, it was 'Hil-to approve' on the RISIS portal but now it's 'Hil-waiting list'.

Getting a bit worried now that I'll be one of these folks with a host family! I've emailed the accommodation office to see if they've got any idea when they'll know but nothing back yet! Is anyone else in the same boat? I'm wondering if it might just be worth looking for somewhere private!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notchip)
    Hmm, a bit jealous of all you people with accepted halls. I applied in June, which I didn't think would be too late but could only choose between Hillside, Martindale and Sibly in the self-catered options. I'm 25 and so 'mature' anyway so went for Hillside. Until yesterday, it was 'Hil-to approve' on the RISIS portal but now it's 'Hil-waiting list'.

Getting a bit worried now that I'll be one of these folks with a host family! I've emailed the accommodation office to see if they've got any idea when they'll know but nothing back yet! Is anyone else in the same boat? I'm wondering if it might just be worth looking for somewhere private!
    Hey, I'm in a similar situation. I'm going to be doing a Masters at Reading and applied for accommodation back in June as well. Hillside was my first choice but I hadn't heard anything so emailed the accommodation people and they told me that my application was still being processed as the halls are all currently full but as my application was made before the deadline I'm guaranteed a place in halls but they can't guarantee which one! So we'll see what happens over the next couple of weeks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebecki)
    Hey, I'm in a similar situation. I'm going to be doing a Masters at Reading and applied for accommodation back in June as well. Hillside was my first choice but I hadn't heard anything so emailed the accommodation people and they told me that my application was still being processed as the halls are all currently full but as my application was made before the deadline I'm guaranteed a place in halls but they can't guarantee which one! So we'll see what happens over the next couple of weeks!
    I got an email back today. It more or less says the same as yours but goes on to say that it's 'almost certain' that I'll get a place at Hillside if I'm on the waiting list there. They said to bear with them until the end of August because of the movement following the A Level results...so hopefully we'll have at least a few weeks notice of where we'll end up!

ReputationRep:
    hi i am an undergraduate and i will be staying in Sibly too .... i am sure we are going to hav great parties:P

ReputationRep:
    wooooo stenton!! i'd rather have new & ensuite any day of the week, wherever it's located

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.