Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rinn)
    The bedrooms are a nice size, you get a big desk and wardrobe, quite a lot of storage space. The quality of the bathroom seems to vary with the room but they generally seem to be okay. The kitchens are a bit dated but they have what you need =P I wouldn't call it one of the more sociable halls, like St Pats, there's a lot more postgrads here than undergrads (I'm in the only undergrad in a corridor of postgrads xD). And it has the bonus of being fairly close to the uni, a 15 - 20 minute walk to the heart of the campus, maybe 10 - 15 minutes to the outskirts
    Ah right, thanks! I'll give it some more thought. I really hope I get Mackinder, it'll be nice to have the brand new stuff haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k823127)
    Anyone know much about Windsor? I think i'm going to Firm Reading when they all come in and went there on Wednesday but couldn't see the halls. I think i want catered etc but also want a fairly lively halls.
    If you want catered and lively then St. Pats would probably be the best choice.

ReputationRep:
    Just sent my application off, 1st choice Wessex, self catered. 2nd choice St Pats, catered.

ReputationRep:
    Sent mine off this morning, first choice Mackinder and second choice Stenton.

ReputationRep:
    GapYearGirl - I am thinking of going to reading this year... but stuck with what accomodation to choose... i was leaning towards choosing the 2 new ones tho.. do you know how much they are? / have you seen a sample room?

What you going to be studying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emy1991)
    GapYearGirl - I am thinking of going to reading this year... but stuck with what accomodation to choose... i was leaning towards choosing the 2 new ones tho.. do you know how much they are? / have you seen a sample room?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/newr...ply&p=23587075
    What you going to be studying?
    Hi

I haven't seen a sample room, just the pictures in the leaflet and at the open day. Prices will be somewhere between £4800 or £5000 I've heard. I spoke to the accommodation office last week and this is what they said
    With regards to the cost of halls next session, we estimate an increase of 5%, therefore take a standard ensuite this year, add on 5% and then as Mackinder and Stenton are going to be enhanced ensuite add another 7.5%. This is ofcourse just estimates and the true costs will be available in May.
    I think the 2009-10 prices are still on the accommodation section of the website so if you use that you should be able to estimate how much. I haven't actually done that because I really want ensuite so I decided to just go for it.

I'm going to be studying Environmental Science, and you?

ReputationRep:
    ahh ok thank you i really want en - suite as well! so i might just go for it? what you think? ahhh!
    I am going to be doing Psychology and Biology. What are you doing on your gap year?

ReputationRep:
    ahh ok thank you i really want en - suite as well! so i might just go for it? what you think? ahhh!
    I am going to be doing Psychology and Biology. What are you doing on your gap year?
    I'm just working a bit on my gap year and recovering from ME, nothing particularly exciting I'm afraid!
    If you want ensuite then there aren't many choices - about 5 or 6 I think. None of them are cheap, so it just depends what length of contract you want (termtime only or including holidays) and which one you like the look of most. When are you applying? I applied last week but apparently won't hear anything for quite a while.

ReputationRep:
    ahh ok .. i will probably apply for mackinder and stenton then.. but i want to know if others will apply or if it will be too expensive for people other than international students. I have a visit day on wednesday so i think i will apply after that. Hopefully after speaking to people about it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    ahh ok .. i will probably apply for mackinder and stenton then.. but i want to know if others will apply or if it will be too expensive for people other than international students. I have a visit day on wednesday so i think i will apply after that. Hopefully after speaking to people about it.
    Undoubtedly they will be the most expensive halls on campus, and as I've previously said (possibly in this thread?) the tariffs are expected to exceed £5,000, so it might be worth looking at student loans and aiming to estimate how much you'll receive? I know it's easy to say "ahh well, I'll get a job" but it really isn't that simple.

They will be amazing, ensuite, self-catered halls, but make sure that you won't be financially compromised for choosing the most expensive choices

ReputationRep:
    Well, they're not that much more expensive than the other halls. Basically there's ensuite and enhanced ensuite. On the form you first choose a catering option: Catered, Catered Extra, Part catered or Self catered. Only part catered and self catered have ensuite options, and for part catered that's Dunsden crescent or something along those lines, and then for self catered ensuite there's a choice of Mackinder, Stenton, Sherfield, Student Village, St Georges and possibly one other that I've forgotten.

Last year the prices for ensuite in St Georges and Student village were both over £5000 for a 40 week term, and Sherfield was £4394 for a 40 week term. Using the estimate of a 5% increase that the accommodation office gave me I estimated Sherfield would be about £4600 this year and then Mackinder and Stenton would be just under £5000 as they said to add a further 7.5% for enhanced ensuite. The actual prices will probably be a little more, but the difference between the new halls and the other ensuite accommodation won't actually be that big so if you want ensuite you're going to be paying at least £4500 a year anyway.

Sorry that's probably way too much information but I worked out all the figures when I was trying to decide which halls to go for

ReputationRep:
    Oh and if you haven't already looked, the hall costs for last year are on the accommodation part of the Reading website so that will give you an idea of cost.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Think i am just going to go for it... cos new accomodation would be sooo nice

ReputationRep:
    Hiya
    Im gonna be doing Environmental Science
    Ill probs end up applying for whiteknights and wessex
    Anyone know what bridges is like?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Millseyn)
    Hiya
    Im gonna be doing Environmental Science
    Ill probs end up applying for whiteknights and wessex
    Anyone know what bridges is like?
    It doesn't matter what bridges is like, they're demolishing it this summer.

Whiteknights is now "Dusdan Crescent".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahradford)
    It doesn't matter what bridges is like, they're demolishing it this summer.

Whiteknights is now "Dusdan Crescent".
    Seriously!? They didn't tell us that on the tour, oh well at least some better ones are being put up.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Millseyn)
    Seriously!? They didn't tell us that on the tour, oh well at least some better ones are being put up.
    Yes, they're demolishing bridges and childs as they both have asbestos and no longer reach the fire safety requirements of the fire brigade.

Stenton and McKinder are replacing these two halls.

ReputationRep:
    hi , cant choose between windsor and st. patricks, any definate advantages why i should choose 1 over the other?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by smarty)
    hi , cant choose between windsor and st. patricks, any definate advantages why i should choose 1 over the other?
    Well Windsor is larger, actually on campus and the cheapest hall. St Pats is a little off of campus, but the catering system is a little more flexible and is a popular choice of hall due to it's social nature. In Windsor, the rooms are smaller than in St Pats (although are significantly cheaper).

Ask me more specific questions about one or other of the halls, and I may be able to help further
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    And although Pat's is technically off campus, if you are an arts student it is actually closer to where you need to be. Pat's is great, I love it.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.