Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellorebecca)
    You seem pretty knowledgable about the new Halls.. Where abouts are they? The map the website has doesn't seem to have them on!
    I'm not that knowledgeable I'm afraid, I've just picked stuff up from the open day and the leaflets.

I was on a post-offer open day the other day and there was a tour, they pointed out one of the halls (I missed whether it was Mackinder or Stenton) and it was in the direction of Whiteknights Crescent on the map. The grey buildings on the map are under construction so I suppose that could actually be one of the new halls on the map. I don't know though.

Certainly the new halls will be relatively near to Windsor as they are all part of the Park Group and share the new Park Group catering facility.

Sorry that's probably not much help, hopefully someone else will know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GapYearGirl)
    I'm not that knowledgeable I'm afraid, I've just picked stuff up from the open day and the leaflets.

I was on a post-offer open day the other day and there was a tour, they pointed out one of the halls (I missed whether it was Mackinder or Stenton) and it was in the direction of Whiteknights Crescent on the map. The grey buildings on the map are under construction so I suppose that could actually be one of the new halls on the map. I don't know though.

Certainly the new halls will be relatively near to Windsor as they are all part of the Park Group and share the new Park Group catering facility.

Sorry that's probably not much help, hopefully someone else will know!

Thanks, I suppose that means they are on campus - I'd forgotton about the new Park Group catering facility.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellorebecca)
    You seem pretty knowledgable about the new Halls.. Where abouts are they? The map the website has doesn't seem to have them on!
    Mackinder is pretty much exactly where whiteknights was - the crescent part that is housing students this year will be part of the new halls (although not connected).
    The first phase of Stenton that opens in October is just below where Child's is on the map, besides the pointy bit of the lake that sticks out.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ellenoire)
    hey (:

i've put reading as my insurance choice & now im a bit worried about getting a room i like (since its very likely that i won't meet the grades my first choice required :p: ).

i'd love to live at st.pats, so what do you think about the chances of getting in there when you apply in late may/ early june?
    Well this time last year, I'd say it was slim, as it was one of the most popular halls. However, with the opening of Stenton and Mackinder, many first years are taking their chances with those new halls, so you may be in with a good chance.

ReputationRep:
    because Stenton is only phase 1 of the redevelopment, will there be lots of building works going on there throughout the year?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by areithr)
    because Stenton is only phase 1 of the redevelopment, will there be lots of building works going on there throughout the year?
    There is a lot of building work going on throughout campus at the moment, as redevelopments are scheduled to finish in 2018, although there should be no disturbances in hall.

ReputationRep:
    for a first year, is is stupid idea to apply for somwhere that will be mainly postgrad (eg Sherfield) . i'd prefer a relatively quiet hall you see.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    for a first year, is is stupid idea to apply for somwhere that will be mainly postgrad (eg Sherfield) . i'd prefer a relatively quiet hall you see.
    No, not at all. I'm in Sherfield at the moment and it's lovely (and quiet). The JCR are quite active and organise lots of events, all all first year undergrads are put into two blocks together, so you won't be on your own at all - not if Reading is your first choice uni, and Sherfield is your first choice hall

ReputationRep:
    Ok brilliant. another question - do mainly quite quiet people apply for places like Sherfield, because i really would like a quiet hall? also, for a second choice, what about somewhere like The Crescent?http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/n...ttons/post.gif
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Ok brilliant. another question - do mainly quite quiet people apply for places like Sherfield, because i really would like a quiet hall? also, for a second choice, what about somewhere like The Crescent?http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/n...ttons/post.gif
    Yeah, I would say so - as they know that more mature students/final year students/quieter students live here. The Crescent would be a good choice also if you want a quiet hall, although with Stenton/McKinder opening nearby, I don't know how true that will be for next year. Benefits of the Crescent are; good if you want a catered option, closer to campus (v.slightly) and there will be all first years there (although not many more than Sherfield).

ReputationRep:
    If it helps anyone, I live at Wessex, and wouldn't change for the world! Self Catered is definately the way forward. Wessex is one of the smaller halls but there's about 200 people living here so you kinda know everyone whilst still having plenty of different people to get on with.
    Its 10 to a kitchen, and there's always like 4 free showers plus a bath on each corridoor.
    Its cheap and really sociable. You really don't need all the fancy new stuff... you'll just end up having no money for going out!

If it works, this is my room at Wessex :
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...9&id=558000293

Oh and we have a TV Room and a bar... and probably the quickest walk into campus... 5 minutes- 10 minutes xxx

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Hannah_
    That has really helped - Wessex seemed like a good choice for me, but i hadn't seen any pictures and i was a tad worried, lol.. But your room looks lovely, so i'm pretty sure i'm gonna put it as my preferred accomodation So, cheers! xx

ReputationRep:
    I applied for Wessex as my preffered last Friday. Anyone had accomodation approved yet?

Mine still shows hall waiting to approve, hope it goes through ok, else its Sibly or Windsor for me :no: (They may be just as good but Wessex looks perfect!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nukemben)
    I applied for Wessex as my preffered last Friday. Anyone had accomodation approved yet?

Mine still shows hall waiting to approve, hope it goes through ok, else its Sibly or Windsor for me :no: (They may be just as good but Wessex looks perfect!)
    I applied on 1st February and it still shows hall waiting to approve as well

ReputationRep:
    I have no clue about where I'm going to apply to for halls :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Word of advice from a former student, if you want to work hard and live a relatively quiet university life then Sherfield is your place, otherwise don't apply there. There are a lot of blocks at Sherfield, each with three floors of flats of 8. Blocks A and B have year 1 freshers in them. That means, you are looking at 48 freshers to associate yourself with. The rest of the halls are occupied by second year, foreign and post grad students. Some of them are social the majority aren't. Whilst the JCR is a good facility and the fresher support team do a great job of looking after you for the first couple of weeks and will be around for the rest of the year there will only ever be a small collection of people wanting to party. It could just have been that my year was an off year but of our group of 48 about 20 of us ever wanted to go out.

Outside of the social aspect whilst the rooms are nice, and roomier that I would have thought. The Kitchens are very cramped, occupied almost entirely by the table and it becomes increasingly difficult to cook a meal when you have more than 2 people trying to cook in them.

Sherfields plus points however, to me at any rate, was its location, just off the campus you were within a short walking distance from the center of campus and the shops, it's also one of the few self catered halls which allows you to do your own thing.

As a recommendation I would suggest St Pats as a place to stay, from the reports I've heard from people there it is very nice. They are catered, yet they have a massive, recently refurbed kitchen that looks like a picture out of an ikea catalog.

Hope this can help some people, my view is slightly tainted (I recently left Reading due to the accommodation amongst other things) the uni itself however is brilliant and I'm sure you will have a good time there. Especially if you are in the new accommodation which looks awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petersfield)
    Hope this can help some people, my view is slightly tainted (I recently left Reading due to the accommodation amongst other things) the uni itself however is brilliant and I'm sure you will have a good time there. Especially if you are in the new accommodation which looks awesome.
    So where were you staying? or you out of halls?

ReputationRep:
    So where were you staying? or you out of halls?
    I was in Sherfield

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petersfield)
    I was in Sherfield
    so you moved because of the social aspect?

ReputationRep:
    I was in Sherfield
    Do you know anything about Wessex's facilities/atmosphere in comparison??

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.