Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I left due to a combination of the course not being what I wanted (my fault) and the lack of a good social scene in sherf. Not to say that the people I lived with weren't awesome. I made some really good friends there. Problem was there was only like 6 people to befriend and they lived in a different block to myself which didn't help matters. One of them has also left for the same reason. Oh the polish security guard was Mr Antifun in the evenings.

My understanding is that pretty much all the other halls present the standard "University Experience" except student village. This is mainly because they are freshers who want to go out and party. Whereas Student Village and Sherf tend to have older freshers and older students, who are not up for it so much. I know a lot of people ***** about Sibley but the friends I had there all said that whilst it was a bit of a walk and they didn't have sinks in their rooms, Asda was just a 2 min walk away, they had a really good community feel and a good field to enjoy in the summer.

If you have applied to sherfield I would say don't worry. The guys that will be looking after you are all good people (I know most of them) but make sure you join as many societies and be as active as you can in your seminars so you have friends in as many places as possible.

I'm not trying to put anyone off Reading it is a great town and every hall presents a good opportunity to know people and party etc.

I can't really comment on the new halls as they were still being finished when I was there but all the fun party people I knew were from Windsor, Bridges had a lot of Rugby and golf team on it and they said it was a bit of a tip but they had a lot of fun, and from what we saw of St Pats it was really nice, they partied a lot and had a massive snowball fight when it snowed so you know its good.

ReputationRep:
    so, to sum up what i am basically asking/saying, if going out/partying all the time isn't really your thing, you'd be ok in Sherfield?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areithr)
    so, to sum up what i am basically asking/saying, if going out/partying all the time isn't really your thing, you'd be ok in Sherfield?
    Yes. There will be a small contingent of party people but the majority will be older quieter students
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yep, but there will still be the opportunity to go out if you want to They also make the effort to put on non-alcohol fuelled events, too. (Which I didn't get in St Pats as a fresher).

ReputationRep:
    any info you could give on what st patricks is like. What the food is like, atmosphere and the hall in general. Also was wondering if you had any information on what sort of people 'generally' go to st patricks.

thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadow01)
    any info you could give on what st patricks is like. What the food is like, atmosphere and the hall in general. Also was wondering if you had any information on what sort of people 'generally' go to st patricks.

thanks in advance
    i'm in st pats at the moment and i can really recommend it. this time last year i was worrying about where to go but to be honest from having friends in pretty much every hall i can guarantee you will have a great time wherever you go.

anyway, as for st pats, the food is average, a bit like school dinners, but compared to what the other catered halls have it's definitely the best. there is a meat, fish, vegetarian option for lunch and dinner, as well as jacket potatoes, salad, sandwiches. there's also fruit drinks, milk, hot drinks whatever. you get 240 points i think for each day and you just pay at the till with your card, then you pay 1p for every point you go over. in that way its quite stingy because the other halls just take as much food as they want, but if you're not a big eater then you never run out of points. if you have friends with cars you will probs have many a late night trip to asda or mcdonalds or perfect fried chicken if you're still hungry. but then we have a grab and go system where you can just make a sandwich whenever and take it with you, for example if you have a lot of lectures in the day and cant be bothered to trek back to halls to eat, you just eat your sandwich on campus.

the hall atmosphere is great at st pats. in new court there are three floors and every corridor is linked so the building is in a sort of U shape, so everyone pretty much gets to know everyone else. it's best to leave your door open so people just come in and have a chat whenever, depending on how friendly and sociable you are of course. i was really worried i'd be put in old court but everyone i know in there loves it, it's just a different layout and fewer freshers but people go to and from old and new court all the time.

we've just appointed next year's JCR, who are basically the people who look after you and arrange nights out for freshers week and every couple of weeks for the rest of the year, and they are all amazing people. you're going to have so much fun, lottie and alex the social reps have put on the best nights for us (a lot of drinking involved) but for those who dont want to drink alice the in-house rep has got some great ideas for fun sober nights as well. the rest of the JCR are lovely and a lot of fun too, so your freshers week at st pats will be fantastic. the jcr for 2009-10 just won best freshers week cos we had the funniest themes and just went out every night to the best bars in town, much better than what the other halls did!

no-one can really specify what kind of people go to st pats, as it's bound to change every year. there is such a huge mix of people from different places and backgrounds but the fact that everyone gets on so well just proves it's a great place to be.

just one thing to say to all of you, don't worry too much about where you go. i regret wasting so much time fretting about it. as long as you go with an open mind you will make some of the best friends you've ever had, and if there are only idiots in your hall you can easily meet people from other halls instead through your course and societies etc, or even just chatting to people on nights out. just be positive and you'll all love wherever you go i promise! x x x

ReputationRep:
    What's St Georges hall like for freshers?

ReputationRep:
    That's a really good piece of advice there khalbert . Are you in your 1st year ?

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning to apply for either Stenton Hall or Mackinder Hall, (the brand new halls opening 2010). Anyone else thinking of choosing these as their accommoation?

ReputationRep:
    anyone have any idea which are the livliest halls? x
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by AmyLewis)
    anyone have any idea which are the livliest halls? x
    Previously, I would have said Childs and/or Bridges. However, these halls will be closed for 2010 entry. With the opening of the new halls on campus, there will perhaps be a new dynamic on campus next year - who can really say for sure until this October which will be the liveliest hall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FTstudies)
    I'm planning to apply for either Stenton Hall or Mackinder Hall, (the brand new halls opening 2010). Anyone else thinking of choosing these as their accommoation?
    Hey! I have applied for Stenton as first and mackinder second.. what you planning on doing? what course you studying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emy1991)
    Hey! I have applied for Stenton as first and mackinder second.. what you planning on doing? what course you studying?
    Nice! I'm planning on studying TV, Film & Theatre. Hopefully I'll see you at Reading in October, hah!. I think the brand new accommodation has to be the most tempting, just having the most modern and cleanest rooms (at the start of the year at least...)

What course are you going to study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roodboy)
    That's a really good piece of advice there khalbert . Are you in your 1st year ?
    no worries! yeah just a fressshheeerrr!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FTstudies)
    Nice! I'm planning on studying TV, Film & Theatre. Hopefully I'll see you at Reading in October, hah!. I think the brand new accommodation has to be the most tempting, just having the most modern and cleanest rooms (at the start of the year at least...)

What course are you going to study?
    Yeh definitely want a clean room to start off with! i think the rooms will be bigger as well which one have you put as your first choice? i am going to study psychology and biology!!

Very excited

ReputationRep:
    anyone else freaking that they'll choose the wrong hall?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    anyone else freaking that they'll choose the wrong hall?

You can't choose a "wrong" hall - everyone finds friends and has an amazing time no matter which hall they're in. So ultimately, it really doesn't matter what hall you put down, so long as you like it and it suits you.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't firmed yet but I'm thinking Mackinder and Stenton.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahradford)
    You can't choose a "wrong" hall - everyone finds friends and has an amazing time no matter which hall they're in. So ultimately, it really doesn't matter what hall you put down, so long as you like it and it suits you.
    I put down St. Patricks as top choice and submitted.However it says contract starts on the 3rd of October and my course already starts on the 4th.
    Is there only 1 day to move in and get settled. what about freschers week?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by smarty)
    I put down St. Patricks as top choice and submitted.However it says contract starts on the 3rd of October and my course already starts on the 4th.
    Is there only 1 day to move in and get settled. what about freschers week?
    You have to pay extra for Freshers' week, and its compulsory for first year students. It'll cost you around an extra £117.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 14, 2010

University open days

1. University of Reading
    All departments will be respresented Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
  2. University of Reading
    All departments will be respresented Undergraduate
    Sat, 13 Oct '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.