Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahradford)
    You have to pay extra for Freshers' week, and its compulsory for first year students. It'll cost you around an extra £117.
    Do I need to apply for freshers week or am I automatically enrolled when I apply for accommodation in halls as first year student??
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by nukemben)
    Do I need to apply for freshers week or am I automatically enrolled when I apply for accommodation in halls as first year student??
    No, you don't need to apply. The hall will send all this info out to you when you get your exam results (if you get in to the uni) like what date/time to arrive, what to bring with you etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahradford)
    No, you don't need to apply. The hall will send all this info out to you when you get your exam results (if you get in to the uni) like what date/time to arrive, what to bring with you etc.
    All accepted etc (unconditional), just need the hall to accept me place. Hopefully should get this stuff soon then! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nukemben)
    All accepted etc (unconditional), just need the hall to accept me place. Hopefully should get this stuff soon then! Thanks
    same situation. already unconditional. only need hall to accept me. tell us when u get the 'stuff'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smarty)
    I put down St. Patricks as top choice and submitted.However it says contract starts on the 3rd of October and my course already starts on the 4th.
    Is there only 1 day to move in and get settled. what about freschers week?
    Freshers week begins on 4th, and so you move in on 3rd. Existing students don't start til the 11th. See here for term dates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GapYearGirl)
    Freshers week begins on 4th, and so you move in on 3rd. Existing students don't start til the 11th. See here for term dates.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I need to decide for next year and i'm so stuck between having an en-suite and going catered. I don't really want the crescent as it seems really quiet but nowhere else does catered and en-suite, do they?

I'll probably go for St Pats, I can deal with shared bathrooms but not an empty tummy haha!

What are the bathrooms in St Pats like anyways?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Mariboom)
    I need to decide for next year and i'm so stuck between having an en-suite and going catered. I don't really want the crescent as it seems really quiet but nowhere else does catered and en-suite, do they?

I'll probably go for St Pats, I can deal with shared bathrooms but not an empty tummy haha!

What are the bathrooms in St Pats like anyways?

They're alright actually, the showers are really nice - good water pressure and I never ever had to queue. They also never ran out of hot water when I was there. There is a toilet on its own (as in it's in its own room) so you do get some privacy when using the loo! The showers are cubicles within cubicles (if that makes sense?) kind of like camping showers, really!

ReputationRep:
    For self-catered halls like Sherfield, is the refrigerator shared amongst the occupants ? If yes, I'm quite worried about theft :confused: or will this be an issue at all ? Also, I want to apply for MacKinder but am worried about the price, I heard that the estimated fee is around 132 pounds per week ? Lastly, what's the catered food like in St.Pats, is it good ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roodboy)
    For self-catered halls like Sherfield, is the refrigerator shared amongst the occupants ?
    Fridges are shared in all self-catered halls, plus in the pantries for catered halls. Mini fridges aren't premitted, whether you choose to heed this is up to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grotbag)
    Fridges are shared in all self-catered halls, plus in the pantries for catered halls. Mini fridges aren't premitted, whether you choose to heed this is up to you.
    Technically speaking mini fridges arent permitted from certain sources, however Oakhurst block at St. Georges they actually supply you with a mini fridge. Plus i brought my own so i had two. Id say bring one, and if they tell you to remove it then youre very unlucky and just do it... or cover it with a table cloth and say its a table.

ReputationRep:
    "or cover it with a table cloth and say its a table."

Hahaha I like that.

Thanks for the info, HannahRadford

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for accommodation (finally got my unconditional offer), would like to know what does it mean to have an 'enhanced ensuite'?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by travel_allaround)
    I'm applying for accommodation (finally got my unconditional offer), would like to know what does it mean to have an 'enhanced ensuite'?
    Depends on the hall as to what they define "enhanced as", I know in St Pats they offered "Catered 'better' room with washbasin", which was a massive room and had a little bit more furniture in, but overall wasn't really much different from a regular room.

ReputationRep:
    I think i shall be putting down mackinder or stenton first then wessex, i need an ensuite for all the girly stuff i have. My only concern is if i share a flat with lots of people that don't want to go out and drink and dance??? Does this happen very often?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clare_Legg)
    I think i shall be putting down mackinder or stenton first then wessex, i need an ensuite for all the girly stuff i have. My only concern is if i share a flat with lots of people that don't want to go out and drink and dance??? Does this happen very often?
    I'm teetotal but that doesn't mean that I don't have fun. People are different and when you go to University you will discover a variety of people, and I'm sure somewhere there will be students that want to drink.

ReputationRep:
    I can join you if you want , probably staying in Mackinder .

ReputationRep:
    Yayyy partying buddy! Who else is thinking of putting mackinder? Also what is the main difference between mackinder and stenton because they look the same inside and stuff, which one would be better?

ReputationRep:
    Yayyy partying buddy! Who else is thinking of putting mackinder? Also what is the main difference between mackinder and stenton because they look the same inside and stuff, which one would be better?
    According to my online thingy I provisionally have a place in Mackinder, just need to wait for them to start sending out offers. As far as I could tell there wasn't much difference between the two, apart from that only the first phase of Stenton will be finished in October, so there will still be building work going on. The style and layout is pretty much identical in both I think.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone just tell me if it's mainly first years in Wessex or are the majority of people 'returners'?

Thank you

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.