Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Mine now says Wessex to Approve I hope I get Wessex!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icegemsf)
    Yeah they are pretty much the same. I chose Mackinder over Stenton because although Stenton is nearer to the centre of campus, it will only be part complete when we go there so I was worried about the possibility of disruptions. Wouldn't mind being in either though
    Well I guess that's a relief.... The construction works crossed my mind but I was kind of hoping the university wouldn't open the hall for accomodation if there was going to be frequent disruptions? I certainly hope not :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jade=))
    St Pat's is my first choice just gotta wait a reply. is there any like facebook group or anything for prospective people in the Pat's halls '10? eee so excited!
    St Pats is my first too!!! I so hope I get in there!!!
    xx

ReputationRep:
    Ok i am totally lost. i will be based on the white knights campus to do building surveying. Id like to know, are they mixed sex's? or mixed but corridors of individual sex?

Any particulary for under grads? and first year students etc..

i think a lot of new students browsing this message board have mentioned going for the newer halls (which are?)

I hope when i go tomorrow I can sort this all out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peterpie)
    Ok i am totally lost. i will be based on the white knights campus to do building surveying. Id like to know, are they mixed sex's? or mixed but corridors of individual sex?

Any particulary for under grads? and first year students etc..

i think a lot of new students browsing this message board have mentioned going for the newer halls (which are?)

I hope when i go tomorrow I can sort this all out
    You found this forum as well! lol I replied to you on the reading 2010 one just in case you read this first! You can pretty much pick any of the accommodation to go for Whiteknights and there is some information here http://www.reading.ac.uk/life/accomm...AccSearch.aspx

Prices haven't been confirmed although they have said that self catered are going up by about 3% on last year and the new ones which are Mackinder or Stenton will be around £132 per week, not sure about the catered accommodation though. When you complete the application for your choice of halls, you are asked if you would liked mixed corridors, single sex corridors or have no preference so that's that covered! First years are placed with first years although I think there is one particular hall which is just post grad so I don't think that is an issue. Yeah as you said, you will see it all tomorrow anyway but hopefully that helps!

ReputationRep:
    You found this forum as well! lol I replied to you on the reading 2010 one just in case you read this first! You can pretty much pick any of the accommodation to go for Whiteknights and there is some information here http://www.reading.ac.uk/life/accomm...AccSearch.aspx

Prices haven't been confirmed although they have said that self catered are going up by about 3% on last year and the new ones which are Mackinder or Stenton will be around £132 per week, not sure about the catered accommodation though. When you complete the application for your choice of halls, you are asked if you would liked mixed corridors, single sex corridors or have no preference so that's that covered! First years are placed with first years although I think there is one particular hall which is just post grad so I don't think that is an issue. Yeah as you said, you will see it all tomorrow anyway but hopefully that helps!
    O ello again lol. Thanks for that, will read it when I get out of work!
    replied to other thread haha

Id like to know why Reading dont do placements~? any reason for this, as surely having experience is a huge thing

ReputationRep:
    O ello again lol. Thanks for that, will read it when I get out of work!
    replied to other thread haha

Id like to know why Reading dont do placements~? any reason for this, as surely having experience is a huge thing
    Haha urm in terms of placements they basically were saying that they don't feel it necessarily benefits students so they prefer to work the straight 3 years. If you get offered a placement though, you are more than welcome to take time off to do it but you have to organise it all and get acceptance from the dean! That was what I got from what they said, it might be worth you asking tomorrow though if you want the full reason.

ReputationRep:
    Haha urm in terms of placements they basically were saying that they don't feel it necessarily benefits students so they prefer to work the straight 3 years. If you get offered a placement though, you are more than welcome to take time off to do it but you have to organise it all and get acceptance from the dean! That was what I got from what they said, it might be worth you asking tomorrow though if you want the full reason.
    Cheers

Ah well lets hope they know what they are talking about lol.

Icegems remember those! yum

ReputationRep:
    Cheers

Ah well lets hope they know what they are talking about lol.

Icegems remember those! yum
    Haha indeedy!

ReputationRep:
    mckinder way forward then? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frosty92)
    Mine now says Wessex to Approve I hope I get Wessex!!!
    I really liked wessex and its not too expensive. so I put it as second as I am on the bulmershe campus so their halls would be much easier.

ReputationRep:
    My Accommodation Application status has changed to Wessex Accepted I didn't think I would be accepted that quick, I think they just need to send me the offer now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteCooper13)
    My Accommodation Application status has changed to Wessex Accepted I didn't think I would be accepted that quick, I think they just need to send me the offer now.
    Same!:woo:
    I was very surprised, Wessex was my 1st too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frosty92)
    Same!:woo:
    I was very surprised, Wessex was my 1st too!
    I'll be seeing you there then

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

This situation may have arisen as a result of the lack of promptness with which I'm submitting my accommodation application.
    Basically, on the hall preferences I can only get Wantage and St Pat's on 39 week residency periods and Catered Extra (catered in term, self catered not in term), as opposed to 31 weeks and Catered. Has this been the case with everyone or does it mean that all of the 31 week contracts in these halls have been taken up?

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtk)
    Hi.

This situation may have arisen as a result of the lack of promptness with which I'm submitting my accommodation application.
    Basically, on the hall preferences I can only get Wantage and St Pat's on 39 week residency periods and Catered Extra (catered in term, self catered not in term), as opposed to 31 weeks and Catered. Has this been the case with everyone or does it mean that all of the 31 week contracts in these halls have been taken up?

Cheers.
    I wouldn't say its lack of promptness...its only a few days. I would say that Reading have changed the halls or something and thats all that is being offered at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,

I'm a mature student and have applied to Hillside as 1st choice and Wessex as 2nd. Anybody know anything about Hillside? Wessex looks very socialable but mainly for the younger undergrads, wouldn't mind either way though. Looking forward to October!!

ReputationRep:
    i chose mckinder 1st stenton 2nd and then bit thats built onto mackinder en suite catered etc cresent court (dunstan?) I think its called.

maybe I should have chosen wessex instead for 3rd choice? noooooooo I need to check whats what as they emailed me saying they received my choices please check your status for updates, and they will email with the offer (once its been made).

I am praying I get one of the new ones now. I picked Mackinder over stenton because its closer to the gym :P

Guys, I it sounds like wessex will be more banter than the dunstan bit. Although since its part of the mackinder development it might be completely lively and amazing.

I dont want to be stuck with people who don't want to go out and prefer the quiet life etc

Is there any chance I can switch the 3rd choice should I need to? to windsor or wessex, st patricks etc. how does this work? Or am I doomed

Cant wait to get home and check whats what now.

ReputationRep:
    My friends been approved by Wessex, i'm still waiting for Stenton and Mackinder. Anyone else with a conditional offer been accepted by either of those halls? I'm slightly confused...
    I picked Term Time Only though, not sure if that has anythign to do with it? x

ReputationRep:
    What did you apply for then DH?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.