Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I have received a conditional offer from Sheffield Halam which is great news! but i am a little unsure to what one of the conditions means.

"This offer is subject to you obtaining

THE FEE FOR THIS COURSE FOR 2010/11 IS 3290 GBP. THIS FEE

ONLY APPLIES TO STUDENTS WITH HOME AND EU FEE STATUS."

Does this mean i have to fund the course myself or does this mean on terms if i can get a student loan?

Many Thanks

Adam

ReputationRep:
    It means you pay £3290 per year for tuition since you are a UK or EU resident. Other foreign students would pay significantly more than that.

You can get a student loan, or you can pay for it out of savings, earnings etc. It's basically just telling you how much the fee is, that's all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamNUK)
    Hi all,

I have received a conditional offer from Sheffield Halam which is great news! but i am a little unsure to what one of the conditions means.

"This offer is subject to you obtaining

THE FEE FOR THIS COURSE FOR 2010/11 IS 3290 GBP. THIS FEE

ONLY APPLIES TO STUDENTS WITH HOME AND EU FEE STATUS."

Does this mean i have to fund the course myself or does this mean on terms if i can get a student loan?

Many Thanks

Adam
    It just means that you'll be able to pay, either by student loan, or by yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    It means you pay £3290 per year for tuition since you are a UK or EU resident. Other foreign students would pay significantly more than that.

You can get a student loan, or you can pay for it out of savings, earnings etc. It's basically just telling you how much the fee is, that's all.
    Thanks for your help :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Im prety sure you have a tution fee loan which goes staright to the university themselves and then you repay it after uni and you get your maintance grant and student loan seperatly

ReputationRep:
    I received this offer and am a little confused!

The conditions of the offer are:

This offer is subject to you obtaining

PLEASE SEND A COPY OF YOUR QUALIFICATIONS INCLUDING GCSEs TO

THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE AT SHEFFIELD HALLAM UNIVERSITY. THE

FEE FOR THIS COURSE FOR 2010/11 IS 3290 GBP. THIS FEE ONLY

APPLIES TO STUDENTS WITH HOME AND EU FEE STATUS.

It doesn't say anywhere what grades I need? I sent the copy of my qualifications a few weeks ago, will they send back the conditions for me? It says the offer is conditional on the UCAS track site. So confused!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josh9876)
    I received this offer and am a little confused!

The conditions of the offer are:

PLEASE SEND A COPY OF YOUR QUALIFICATIONS INCLUDING GCSEs TO

THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE AT SHEFFIELD HALLAM UNIVERSITY. THE

FEE FOR THIS COURSE FOR 2010/11 IS 3290 GBP. THIS FEE ONLY

APPLIES TO STUDENTS WITH HOME AND EU FEE STATUS.

It doesn't say anywhere what grades I need? I sent the copy of my qualifications a few weeks ago, will they send back the conditions for me? It says the offer is conditional on the UCAS track site. So confused!
    Do you have any level 3 (A levels/IB qualifications)? basically, it'll change to unconditional once they recieve + process them

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i'm actually a third year at college (missed out on my uni place last year!) and so have 3 A-levels already, and am currently working on another 2. Ahh that is good news

ReputationRep:
    sorry to bump up an old thread but ive also got a conditional offer and just wanted to clarify a few things. The offer says

240 TARIFF POINTS FROM AT LEAST TWO GCE/VCE LEVELS AND/OR

BTEC/OCR QUALIFICATIONS. Advance subsidiary and a maximum

of 20 points from key skills level 3 may contribute to these

points. THE FEE FOR THIS COURSE FOR 2010/11 IS 3290 GBP,

THIS FEE ONLY APPLIES TO STUDENTS WITH HOME AND EU FEE

STATUS.

So does that mean I have to get 240 points, some from at least 2 a level subjects and the rest can be AS levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smudge1990)
    sorry to bump up an old thread but ive also got a conditional offer and just wanted to clarify a few things. The offer says

240 TARIFF POINTS FROM AT LEAST TWO GCE/VCE LEVELS AND/OR

BTEC/OCR QUALIFICATIONS. Advance subsidiary and a maximum

of 20 points from key skills level 3 may contribute to these

points. THE FEE FOR THIS COURSE FOR 2010/11 IS 3290 GBP,

THIS FEE ONLY APPLIES TO STUDENTS WITH HOME AND EU FEE

STATUS.

So does that mean I have to get 240 points, some from at least 2 a level subjects and the rest can be AS levels?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    This offer is conditional on international fee status

Anyone knows what this means? Just saw it on my UCAS application to Nottingham University (M100)

ReputationRep:
    If you have not lived in the UK or EU for the last three years (actual conditions are more complex, see http://www.reading.ac.uk/Study/fees/...efinition.aspx ) you are likely to be classified as an international student, and you will pay higher fees and not be eligible for a student loan.

An increasing number of universities are making international status a condition of their offers, because they want the higher fees, thus disadvantaging home students.

It is not clear that this is legal. If you have the energy, it would be good to get legal advice, though given the cuts in free legal advice, you may not get it.

Since the issue has not yet come to court, it could be a path-breaking case for any combative lawyer choosing to challenge this practice.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.