Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm thinking about doing an open degree but I have some questions. Today I spoke with the staff from the OU and they told me that the open degree has to be recognized to work outside the UK, both in the USA and Europe. They said that they tell you where and how the open degree can be recognized. You need a document that shows its value. I'd like to hear your experiences about this, how has it been to have your open degree recognized and what your employer thought about that. Thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    I think if you're talking about recognition by immigration authorities then I believe that an OU degree is fine for this as it is a fully accredited university.

If you mean recognition by foreign companies then I'm not too sure, it would be interesting to know though as if I do an OU degree then I will definitely be planning to leave Europe after it.

ReputationRep:
    Bloodrose - I think the OP is asking about how well recognised the The Open Degree is, not about the OU as a whole.

I don't know about other countries but The Open Degree can be a bit of a problem in Britain depending on what you want to do so on that basis I'd say if you want to go overseas you are probably better off doing a named degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lunarsea)
    I don't know about other countries but The Open Degree can be a bit of a problem in Britain depending on what you want to do so on that basis I'd say if you want to go overseas you are probably better off doing a named degree.
    Agreed with this. Bear in mind that often, a named degree has free choices. At the bottom of the named degree page, it usually says something like 'and the remaining X points can be made up from any OU undergraduate course' - so you do have some freedom to explore other things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lunarsea)
    Bloodrose - I think the OP is asking about how well recognised the The Open Degree is, not about the OU as a whole.

Ahh, OK sorry.

Definitely useful information to have though as I was considering one of those open-type courses as a possible for myself. I think for what I want a degree for though, it would really need to be a generally universally recognised qualification.

Am I right in thinking that an open degree is effectively where you can almost just pick and choose modules for yourself thus making up the number of points to qualify for a Bachelors degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloodrose)
    Ahh, OK sorry.

Definitely useful information to have though as I was considering one of those open-type courses as a possible for myself. I think for what I want a degree for though, it would really need to be a generally universally recognised qualification.

Am I right in thinking that an open degree is effectively where you can almost just pick and choose modules for yourself thus making up the number of points to qualify for a Bachelors degree?

Yes you're right. You can choose the courses that you want to arrive to the 360 or 300 (without honors) degree.

So you'd advice me to take a named degree and not an open? Please tell me more because after graduating I'll look for a job in the US and I really need to know if the open degree is fully recognized or if a named one would be always better. Please help!!!

ReputationRep:
    I actually asked this question to the gentleman I met at the OU open day in Sheffield which I attended last week and he advised me to go for a named degree as opposed to an open one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloodrose)
    I actually asked this question to the gentleman I met at the OU open day in Sheffield which I attended last week and he advised me to go for a named degree as opposed to an open one.

Did he advise the named one for more recognition? Or for which reason? Please tell me.

ReputationRep:
    It's more straightforward for potential employers and their often exasperating HR departments, put simply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by future92)
    Did he advise the named one for more recognition? Or for which reason? Please tell me.
    Generally just for more recognition really, although from the perspective of a foreign company it wouldn't make much difference since they don't really understand the British education system usually anyway so it's just another box to tick for them.

As long as the degree is accredited (which all Open ones are I believe as the accreditation is generally granted to the institution as opposed the individual course) then it should be fine.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.